Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

genius Tele saddle concept...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Lacking Talent, Dec 5, 2017.

1. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I love the velas. I've long admired that bridge too

2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Give me six or give me a half-dozen...completely independently adjustable saddle, thank you.

I actually LIKE being in tune...on every string.

hellopike likes this.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Not exactly new technology, is it. Doesn't the fact that we've all been using similar bridge/saddle combos on our acoustics for a century count for any first hand experience?

It's a good acoustic design in spite of it's inherent limitations, solely because of the goal of keeping extra weight off the vibrating top. Not a goal of the Tele.

4. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

May 2, 2013
    Twangville
    i would guess a superpro setup guy could file intonated radius ed slots into that thing?

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Good points.

But I noticed something else, as well, other end of the spectrum in a way. When I had a saddle slammed hard down onto the bridge plate, making so much contact it really couldn't act independent of the plate, I'm not sure I liked that sound, either. Less of a vintage sound and more of a "Hi-Fi" sound I would say.

Maybe there's a sort of sweet spot, where the loaded saddle makes, through multiple screws, a certain amount of contact with the plate - not too little and not too much.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

And if he removes too much material (or more than the customer thinks he should have) .....

Now he's "ruined" the whole thing?

I feel like if I buy a brand new Bentley automobile, I want the radio stations already tuned in, and everything. I don't want anyone using cutting tools on my new precious toy.

7. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Right, or maybe a different material altogether. If I had the tools I'd make a stone nut and stone saddles just for kicks.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

8. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Long time idea:
    Take the nice design of the nice Gotoh 6 saddle bridge.

BUT, have no height adjustment screw holes per saddle.
    Gotoh or someone can offer the saddles in different heights to ensure the saddle fully contacts the bridge plate, no two grub screw perch.
    They could offer in heights of 1/32 increments, starting maybe at about 1/4".

9. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC

10. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    It's simple and interesting...I like it. I'm quite happy with my old vintage three saddle, but If I saw one cheap I'd give it a try.

11. Evil Funk

Evil Funk TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Montana
    tried maybe.... but true? i like a properly intonated guitar.

12. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    Don't believe all the urban myth/ sales talk you hear. Just because it has 3 saddles doe not mean that it is a problem and don't assume it therefore must have intonation problems! Intonation isn't a modern phenomenon... people in 1969 played their guitars in tune too. Options to deal with include: properly set up guitar; bending of saddle screws; compensated 3 saddle; learning to live with it; etc.

moosie and BorderRadio like this.

13. GuitarRandy

GuitarRandy TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Parker, Colorado
    BorderRadio likes this.

14. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I don't think potmetal was Leos' best idea. MAYBE WORST.

15. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Yep.

And the learning to live with it part... I suspect 99% of us play improperly intonated, most of the time. Not because of three barrels. If you want to be truly perfectly intonated, as far as you can be on a guitar, then you need to intonate every time you change strings, do it on perfectly fresh strings, and change strings quite often. Playing on strings creates kinks, and those will no longer properly intonate.

Then there's the fact that even with six saddles, you'll be perfectly intonated on the fret you choose to measure against. So, open and 12. Or 3 and 15, whatever method you use. But then gently fret a note on the 5th or 8th fret. Not in tune. Want it better? Get a piano.

16. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

Easy enough to make this piece in several radius cfgs for consumption, no?

17. warrent

warrent Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto

18. Mxrk

Mxrk TDPRI Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Tampa
    I love this idea, but the above quote was my first thought as well.

19. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    If the saddle matches the neck radius why would you need it?

Looking at it has my brain wondering if the two end contact points might have an effect on the middle string VS the end stings being attenuated so you'd notice. Mix that with non staggered PU poles or radius mismatch... Or it bending down in the center if metal not alloyed.

In my minds eye/ear, I see two center screws just to keep it from a sag and to have a more linear vibration transferring property. But probably overthinking it as I usually do.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 4:12 PM

20. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2013
    California
    I'm pretty happy with the traditional bridge and saddles.

That said, I've never heard anything bad about a Ron Thorn guitar or product, quite the opposite so it probably works like a dream.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.