Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

genius Tele saddle concept...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Lacking Talent, Dec 5, 2017.

1. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Increased cross talk, and possibly more sustain.
    I don't need more sustain, and niether did Don Rich.

nojazzhere likes this.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    THIS.....the longer I play (50+ years) the more I realize I don't need MORE sustain. I'm currently experimenting with lowering pickup height to decrease sustain and increase clarity and tone. Still, I like the look of this saddle, and I have no intonation issues on my PRS with this type set-up.

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Looks good to me, but I'm asking myself why? 3- and 2- barrel designs already have it covered in my opinion.

"The advantage is all 6 of the strings' energy is transferred through just 2 points of contact between the Brass Knuckle and the bridge plate, instead of 6 found on a traditional 3-saddle arrangement.The same reasons a traditional 1-pc. wraparound sounds so great."

Huh? Two tiny grub screws are holding this up? Ever have a bridge sink down on a Danelectro or ABR-1? I call bunk on this one. I rather buy one in all steel too, this looks like a two-parter--brass on steel.

Tru-arc and Comptons, along with wraparound bridges are some of my favorite designs. I'll admit it though, it's part of the 'look' and 'feel' that comes along with playing Gretsches and Juniors. Having more sustain and volume on a hollowbody is a desirable trait, and an aluminum bar sounds great on a Junior too. But the Tele was never 'broke', apart from getting the intonation a little closer to tolerable.

telemnemonics likes this.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I hear that.

Maybe using a Highway One plate (.060) would be enough to keep the two grub screws from dimpling the plate. Possibly a .050 style plate would not be up to the task..

Btw, these grubs screws could have a dynel base, maybe? Could widen out to a "foot"? Absolutely you'd have to totally loosen the strings before any adjustment could be attempted.

I like elegance of the appearance, and one of my main criticisms of the 6 "hammer" saddle design was, just too many parts. Less pieces parts is a worthy goal.

You could buy this, and try it on one T type at a time until you found one where the string heights happened to match with what that guitar seemed to need. You might need 20 T types of make this scheme work. I like adjustability but sometimes a certain guitar falls into a setup and remains that way for 15 years.

BorderRadio and telemnemonics like this.

5. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Holic

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    Wow.
    Once again... so many opinions, so little first hand knowledge.
    & NO.... don't suggest that I try it .... but jeez... I mean... we hear folks say they're "modders" -they got a new Tele incoming and they're already yammering on about the mods they've got planned before playing or hearing or even seeing their new guitar in person.

We got folks who have Tele's worth more than my truck or my house..... folks that'll drop thousands on a Tele just to get one that matches their freakin birthday.....

So come on. Somebody with lotsa loot, who enjoys wrenching on their Teles and looking at them as much or more than playing them....... BUY a few of these, TRY 'em on some of your spare T-types and report how horrible the intonation is, and show us pix demonstrating how they totally skew the aesthetics of the Tele design.
    How bad can it be?
    Well, let's just speculate and opine 'til our cargo shorts rot...

hellopike, Badger06 and grooveiron like this.

6. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    10-uh-C
    Ever seen an old Tele with the saddle screws bent? That's how we used to "compensate", also bent the switch tip down to get it out of the way, but that's a different thread.

7. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Someone might correct me, but I was under the impression that with slug pole pieces, raising the pickup height decreases sustain by increasing magnetic string pull. Could also be that there is an ideal height for maximum sustain, and that movement in either direction decreases sustain.

Something to experiment with in any case.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Fair enough but it is not speculation that with no ability to adjust individual string height you are very unlikely to be able to set up really good action, and will have to settle for OK action.
    Even a new TOM generally gets the saddles slotted by the installer for string alignment along the binding and exact heights to follow the radius of any board and the players preference.
    One that subject, I bought a new Epi 335 Pro last Christmas and found the bridge had a tighter radius than the board, so the E strings were closer than the ADGB.
    Really ridiculous IMO.
    Most players seem to prefer to have the GB and E follow the radius where the EA and D are a little higher, and so follow a widening radius.
    This is basic guitar tech stuff.
    Some players do want the low E as low as the high E, but most IME want the low wound strings higher and don't want to have to raise the DG and B to get there.

Add the fact that they want $79.50 for the one saddle, it really begs the question:
    Why?

The answer might be in your question above; "Hey! Look! A cool new mod!"

9. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    Why, when you have this?

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BAB-FCHTLCH?src=D1307BNGHAMS0000&scid=scbplpBAB+FCHTLCH&sc_intid=BAB+FCHTLCH&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SC Shopping - $100 - $500&utm_term=1100505516414&utm_content=Shopping - 100-500

Advantages: Height and intonation for all strings set individually.
    Saddles are able to be locked down, for no movement in your setup, along with best contact area for strings/saddles. So while you have 6 individual saddles, the entire bridge essentially acts as a single piece of metal. "50 times more contact surface per saddle compared to conventional saddle designs."

nojazzhere likes this.

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    But it looks like something a bass player would use.
    :)

11. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    I'd love to try it! Both my teles are close enough to 9.5" radii and the whole concept of a tele bridge is sometimes steering into the skid of sympathetic vibrations, this hits many nails on the head and looks cool too!

12. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    They say that the fact that vibrations are transferred by just two points makes a difference versus six points, comparing it to a one piece wraparound like a LP Jr. but the studs on a Jr are super fat and go all the way down into the wood, whereas these are little tiny Allen screws that contact the bridge on a point. Does this claim seem a little bananas to anyone else?

In general I think saddle material and style does make an appreciable difference in the sound, and I think this is a cool concept (not my style tho), but this particular point of comparison has me rolling my eyes a bit.

13. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    I have the Babicz bridge.
    It made a great improvement over a top load Tele bridge I was using.

nojazzhere likes this.

14. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    It's interesting.

I don't know that I'd call it "genius" seeing as that type of bridge design is older than the electric guitar.

I'm not getting what the advantages might be, if any.

Piggy Stu and telemnemonics like this.

15. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

I like the concept and the aesthetic, but 79 bucks?

telemnemonics and nojazzhere like this.

16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    No thanks. Three barrels are a slight compromise. This one, does it come with a few different saddles for different string sets?

17. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Meister

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Some of us use wound 'G' strings. They really help balance the output of heavier gauge string sets where a fat unwound "g" string is insufferably loud. I see this design as for plain "G" strings only. I also don't like not being able to individually adjust string height. That's a real advantage of Fender bridges. This one isn't for me.

18. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

There is nothing wrong with that type of bridge if that's your thing, but compensated stop tailpieces have been around forever. Part of the genius of Leo Fender's Telecaster was incorporating the three barrels and providing at least the opportunity for better intonation than you could achieve with a "Z" type tailpiece.

In Theory,
    Geo.

BorderRadio and boris bubbanov like this.

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I need to do something to replace my Photobucket account. I had posted so many "prototype" bridges with various numbers of saddles, and all kinds of experimental stuff I fabricated - I know from experience why this type of bridge doesn't already dominate - you make a serious sacrifice with the E-A-D strings all aligned and when the G-B and little E strings all align - if all 6 are locked in vis a vis one another, I bet a really large number of TDPRI guys have monkeyed with things something like this for decades. The evident fact that it won't work with a wound G string and won't work with a Hi-Lo string set and won't work with Dropped D, a dozen other things, many of us have already been there and done that. Sorry.

Don't get me wrong; I think people should keep right on trying things. My sense is that some here may be skeptical for no reason but most have enough experience, to justify their view. This is a handsome piece - I surely wish it was the answer for some. I know that some guys get swept away by market-speak and lots of smoke and mirrors but I think that's a worthwhile risk.

20. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    I'm no engineer but my problem with this bridge is not only the lack of individual saddle height adjustment, but the fact that you've got this beautiful, substantial piece of metal but it's still suspended from 2 little screws. Basically there's a huge (IMO) disconnect/transfer los between the body and the bridge/strings. To a lesser extent you get that with the traditional 3 barrel Tele bridge but at least there are 6 points of contact versus 2. Here's what I'd like to see. Imagine if you will (said in best Rod Serling voice) a 3 barrel Tele bridge but the barrels are resting flat on the bridge plate. The height adjustment screws come out the TOP of the barrels and resemble super smooth Philips head screws. I recently saw a nut that had individual height adjustment screws like this and thought it was genius, or at the very least pretty cool.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.