Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gearmanndude

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telepatio, May 27, 2009.

1. Telepatio

Telepatio Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Anybody see his pedal reviews on youtube? They are great. My question, is this guy Jack Black?

Sounds just like him. Has a ton of high end toys. Seems like something he might do in his downtime.

Any thoughts?

2. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2006
    New Jersey
    Seems like someone would need to have a significant amount of disposable income to have the amount of toys that this guy has. He has tons of amps and tons of boutique effects. Is Jack Black that proficient on guitar? I have no idea. It does sound like him.

Wayne

3. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

I thought Kyle Gas was the more guitar proficient one.........

Gotta check this out.

Anyone got a link on youtube?

4. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    He is not Jack Black, this has been discussed many times before on various forums.

Dan

5. skeksis

skeksis Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2007
    phoenix
    I think it's him :)

6. Telepatio

Telepatio Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    here is a link to one of his many reviews: link

so if it's not him (as has supposedly been proven, by whom i'm not sure) does this guy pretend to be him?

his myspace page is listed as being the same age as Jack and living in beverly hills, california.

7. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Mar 10, 2003
    Allston, Mass
    I love Gearmandude, but I really wish people could appreciate him without the constant, constant Jack Black references. There are many, many reasons why he is not Jack Black, starting with his voice not actually sounding like Jack Black except for one or two tiny inflections.

Yeesh. The guy's a minor gear-hero. He shouldn't have to live under that shadow.

...And I like Jack Black.

8. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2007
    Pennsylvania

9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I bought my BBE Green Screamer based on the GearManDude demo.

He's great.

He's not Jack Black......he doesn't sound like Jack Black. You guys have watched School of Rock too many times or something.

John

10. Rooney

Rooney Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Only one guy in Beverly Hills can be that age?:lol: It's not Jack Black, same inflections somtimes, but it's not him.

11. csbluesman

csbluesman Tele-Meister

May 3, 2009
    Chehalis,WA

12. csbluesman

csbluesman Tele-Meister

May 3, 2009
    Chehalis,WA
    Does JacK Black has old worn out snake skin boots?

May be we should start a fund for new boots for G-man.

13. Jahmbie

Jahmbie Tele-Afflicted

Nov 19, 2008
    College Station, TX
    The funniest thing is, Telepatio, that Gearmandude probably lives around the corner from you and/or you've bought something Tele related from him in the Emporium.

14. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted

May 19, 2003
    San Francisco Bay Area
    gearmanndude is Eric Whorton. He lives in Louisville KY. He builds the Luther Drive overdrive pedal and is one heck of a player. Jack Black can play guitar, but he doesn't even come close to having Eric's chops.

15. Telepatio

Telepatio Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    :)

So, I will consider that proof that he is not Jack Black! And, yes, I've spoken with this guy in person many times!

In my defense, the first pedal shootout I saw, within 15 seconds I thought he sounded like Jack Black. Then I saw the other comments where people felt the same.

But.......I now have a new local hero!

Now I have to go get him to build me a Luther drive!

16. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

May 5, 2005
    Oregon
    I thought Andy and Proguitarshop.com does a good job of demoing pedals, guitar, amps, etc.

17. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    +1 - I prefer his to Gearmanndude's demos 100%, the latter one's always sound the same (it's ridiculous - he does pedal shootouts, but there's usually no discernible difference between the candidates...), the sound quality of the demos sucks (camera mic), he usually uses way too much gain on the amps to really judge the pedals, and I hate that generic "classic rawk" stuff he's usually playing.

For a good pedal demo I want a clean amp, good sound quality, and just a few strummed chords, a few single note lines, with different pickup settings, and going through various settings on the pedal systematically (which Gearmanndude never does) - oh, and I want the demos to be about the tones of the pedals, not about the wannabe-humorous personality of the demoer!

Oh, and I don't like Jack Black, either...

Last edited: May 27, 2009

18. mgwhit

mgwhit Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Trippy! I know him...and didn't know it. In real life I would never have made the Jack Black connection.

19. shinigami747

shinigami747 Tele-Holic

Sep 22, 2008
    NJ
    saw his pedal demos. liked them.
    of course, the audio on youtube videos isn't all that good, but his comparo of different current issue rat pedals (rat2 vs turbo rat vs you dirty rat) helped me decide on which rat pedal to buy. i got the you dirty rat, btw.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.