Gassing for a blackface Fender and I’m stuck please help

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Chris4189, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Being a fan of the Marshall, unless you really want a lot of glassy cleans, I would suggest the vintage Bassman Head. A very glassy clean on the non-effects channel and a great thick and gritty tone on the effects channel. Seing as how Marshall basically started out with the Bassman for the design, I think it would most suit your needs.

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I'd look for a brown Princeton. It's like a halfway house between Fender and Marshall. Stock they're simply great - hotter preamp than BF except maybe the very first non-Reverb. Cathodyne PI. Worth putting good glass in.

A bit pricey but not berserk like BF. Through the stock speaker good breakup at less than earbleed. Through the GA10-SC64 speaker one of these would be brilliant.

3. Chris4189

Chris4189 TDPRI Member

I’m already deaf lol

4. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

Keep in mind that Clone with everything at noon supplies a large level boost ...

Skydog1010 likes this.
  5. Chris4189

Chris4189 TDPRI Member

I have never used one before in my life, not a pedal guy at all and I was impressed with this pedal.

6. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Oh boy, you are one now...get your mad hatters hat on..

7. Chris4189

Chris4189 TDPRI Member

This past weekend I went to the nearest GC to me and they had a used 65 Princeton reverb and a used 65 twin. I took my own R9 and my Fryette powerstation. The store seemed really dead and they put me in a room and let me have it.

The Princeton cranked to 10 with the treble and bass sent on 5 was some glorious breakup! The cleans, reverb and trem were exactly what I would picture a fender to be. I had to turn the bass down to about 1 or 2 and still found it a little Flubby. I don’t know if this is due to the little speaker or the humbuckers?

Ran the twin thru my powerstaion, which is a very transparent attenuator with the amped dimed out and man it was glorious as well! Again, the cleans, reverb and trem were everything i expected a fender to be. Obviously, I played around with the eq and found the bass to be a little flubby in the twin as well not as much but still different then the Marshall’s I’m used to.

Is this a fender/humbucker thing?

With the twin volume on 8 and the eq on noon man I was into some serious Toy tone! He ran two twins Y together and later ran them into 4x12 cabs with JBL’s!

I didn’t leave with either. I’m damn sure tempted to buy both!!

8. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

You need to learn two new words.
    Fender (you knew already)...Rivera Era.
    The prices have held firm for many years.
    They're one of the last sleeper-eras out there that you can find still sleeping.
    $700.00 and you've got a killer amp.
    For Marshall heads, they sound Better than real vintage Fenders.
    They're a little tighter in the ass, a little meaner, a little snottier, a little more direct.
    PERFECT for late 70's hard rock material.

Rivera Era. That's the ticket Hoss.

9. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

VibroChamps are great little amps, but part of the blackface Fender appeal to me is the reverb and tremolo.

A Deluxe would give you trem and verb.

Either way, you can’t lose with a bf in your collection.

10. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

In a nutshell, yes. When I'm cranking the snot out of my Deluxe with humbuckers I'm running the bass like at 3 at the most. The louder you go, the less bass knob you want.

Chris4189 likes this.
  11. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Not sure about the Twin but the stock speaker in the Princeton definitely doesnt handle bass well. Id recommend the Fat jimmy c1025 speaker as replacement.

12. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Lol @ the title. Stuck? Listen to a brownface. Mwahahahahahaaaaaa!

13. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Go for a vintage blackface Deluxe reverb. It’s the best of both world; home playing/band practicing and gigging. Not too heavy to carry.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.