Gassing for a blackface Fender and I’m stuck please help

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Chris4189, Jun 11, 2019.

1. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Princeton or Vibrolux - Vibrolux will kick the Princeton's butt for volume but 10" speakers to me sound fantastic... look for a silver faced one from the late 60's or 70's. Vibrolux (depending on condition/service/etc) will break up earlier than a Super Reverb/Pro Reverb and to me sound better. Good luck

Chris4189 likes this.
  2. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

I agree.

3. DNukem

DNukem TDPRI Member

i have a 68 Princeton Silverface Reissue and that thing rocks. Great natural breakup around 5 and very loud for a 12 watt 10" combo...albeit i did put a Celestion Gold in it. I compared it with the 68 deluxe reissue prior to buying it and i truly feel it was just as good (if not better). It's a very versatile amp at a very good price point

4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

You are a big amp guy. Chances are you'll hate a small amp like a Champ. You'll like the sound for five minutes and then you'll start wanting the punch you get from an amp tha moves some serious air. IMO. Stick the bigger BF Fender amps, you won't regret it.

Telecastoff1 and schmee like this.
  5. Chris4189

Chris4189 TDPRI Member

Bigger as in deluxe or super reverb?

6. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

Seriously friend, there are lucky 13 Guitar Center locations in Virginia. https://stores.guitarcenter.com/va.html

We can't tell you which will appeal to you. But every GC I've been in has had a PR, DR, VR, DR and most have a SR.

7. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

This ^^^

Or check out a Brown Deluxe. Originals usually aren’t cheap, might wanna check out a clone, but it’s one of the gainiest Fenders.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    King Creole likes this.
  8. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

Not going to suggest what amp, but I know for a fact that there are substantially more black and brown amps for sale on the New York Craigslist than anywhere I have lived and I've been all over the place in the last 20 years. Really nice examples. Studios regularly tank here, that may be part of it, and it looks like some amp flippers, too. There are some decent techs here and people seem to take care of their gear. I would look into it. Expect to pay fair market value.

9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Deluxes or Princetons with the 6V6's will get you good plug and play OD pretty readily.
    The larger amps with 6L6's will too, but be louder for sure. The 6L6 is a cleaner tube at lower volumes to my ears.
    We cant really make the volume choice for you, but the comment about "you are a big amp man" is something to heed. No way is a Champ going to satisfy you. A Deluxe will rattle your ribs. But do you need more? Cant really say. You may not get a good feel for it at a music store unless you are willing to piss everyone off cranking them!

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

For medium volume clean tones, I like the BF RI Super.
    I keep the volume at 3-4, louder volumes elicit flatulence.
    For loud volume, the Twin.
    For lower volume, the Deluxe.
    Simplistic, I know.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I imagine you look really funny...being all ears, and whatnot...
    If you think a VibroChamp sounds the same as a Twin, it probably doesn't matter which amp you choose...but...this is the best time ever to go big.
    Twin Reverbs are $500.
    Blackface ones are a grand or under.
    My favorite is the Super Reverb.
    Beautiful early 70s Silverfaces with CTS speakers for under 1000.

12. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Reading through your posts again, I'd say you and I are pretty similar.

I too am primarily a Gibson + Marshall max rock and roll tone kind of guy. I've spent my life kicking out the jams with glorious Gibson humbuckers feeding into glorious fire breathing Marshalls. I keep saying "Deluxe" because as a Gibson/Marshall guy I can get along great with that sound. The Deluxe breaks up easy and quickly when driven with humbuckers. It's way fatter than what we're typically used to with Marshalls, but it's still awesome. It doesn't need to be crannnnked as much as a Twin...which is damn near Plexi loud before it starts getting gnarly.

The Super Reverb might be the best if you need to get really loud and dirty...but it's main differences from a Deluxe are the number of speakers and 6L6 tubes instead of 6V6. If you want a very large combo, the Super Reverb is wonderful. You can't go wrong. I tend to think the Deluxe is more reasonable, and pure blackface goodness, if you want a great Fender amp that doesn't have to be your #1 assault weapon.

Those are just my thoughts on the two and why I chose the Deluxe over all the others as a second, different flavor option behind my Marshalls.

Chris4189 and Hatfield92 like this.
  13. Chris4189

Chris4189 TDPRI Member

Guys again I really appreciate all the advice and it seems like the deluxe, Princeton and champ are the ones worth seeking out and playing.

If I need to get loud and rowdy, I will just break out a Marshall. I’m looking at this purchase as just a home amp, something to noodle around with and jam out to backing tracks with.

14. Chris4189

Chris4189 TDPRI Member

It’s funny as a buddy of mind is also a big Marshall guy as well and he about said the same thing as you. He just a deluxe and really like it. The nearest GC to me is like 2 hours away so i think this weekend, I load up my R9 and go for a road trip. My tech has a 65 champ coming in for service so I can take that for a spin as well.

15. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Well then, another thing to consider is that none of these amps really get dirty at low volumes. The Champ will, but maybe that's not really the right sound for what you want. Maybe it is. You'll probably need pedals. These are all basically NMV amps. They have to be turned up to break up. If you really want a little tiny home amp that gets dirty at low volumes then you might want like a little DSL or something.

TelePunkJCM likes this.
  16. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

I’m Richmond (not sure where you are in the state) here’s a RI SF DR for $800. You could probably get it for 600 or 700.

17. Chris4189

Chris4189 TDPRI Member

No, I don’t want/need a tiny house amp. I crank them up inside. If it gets too bad I can always use my Fryette powerstation to knock it down a few dB.

Greg_L likes this.
  18. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Just grab any 70s silverface combo or head you come across at a reasonable price, have a tech check it (if you aren't familiar with amp guts), and play the heck of it. Many of these amps are still steals, and can probably be resold at the same price if you don't bond with it.

In my limited experience, a lot of the blackface vibe is in the clean punch that is still really musical despite less distortion.

Personally I'd recommend something with two 6L6s like a Vibrolux, Super or Pro: loud enough to be respected on stage and move some air, without being as paint blisteringly loud as a Twin. Also, these amps cost less than the small combos that have gone up in price.

19. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Correct.

20. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

Maybe a slightly different spin on @Greg_L’s good points, but if you’re a master volume guy, going to a non-MV amp can be unsatisfying.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.