GAS is the devil!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Blue333, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Blue333

Blue333 TDPRI Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Not sure if this really goes here, but probably close enough. I need help satisfying my current bout of GAS. Currently, I have an HSS American Standard Strat and an Ice Blue American Standard Tele with matching painted headstock with Vintage 58 pickups.

Now, my dilemma. I'm looking for something with a humbucker tone that isn't a Les Paul, as I haven't found one that I've really had to have. I've had my heart set on a Player's Edition Gretsch 6228 with the V tail piece since I first saw one, preferably in the cherry metallic stain, but not too picky, really. I was certain no other guitar could influence my guitar crush...until yesterday. I was in my local guitar shop and saw it, a Troublemaker Tele with a burst finish. It sounded great and felt better. I haven't had the opportunity to play a MIJ Gretsch, just the Electromatic version of what I want. It was sweet, but not as nice as the Troublemaker, but not ever playing a PE Gretsch, I'm not sure how much difference there is. Getting a Gretsch like I want to try out is probably not going to happen unless I get lucky, as there isn't much of a demand for the high end Gretsch guitars around here, so they are never in stock.

So, my question is, and I know this is all subjective and opinion-based, what is everyones' opinion on these guitars? I know they are two different animals, but GAS is GAS, I guess. I'm sure I'd be happy with either, but without being able to compare them side by side this is the best I've got, for now. Thanks in advance. Pictures below, for reference.
    0209191114~2.jpg

Capture+_2019-01-29-12-27-32.png
    What I have:

20171225_112150.jpg 20170802_130114.jpg

2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    buy it play it...record some songs with it..gig it....get another..its a way of life...

Blue333 and Milspec like this.
  3. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2018
    Massachusetts
    who could resist a free 55-point inspection

Blue333 and hemingway like this.
  4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver TDPRI Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Ohio (Nerk)
    When I first bought my Toronado, I was in search of (separately) a surf rock offset style Fender and a LP. The Toronado gave me both (sort of.... the atomic humbuckers were meh, so I replaced them with the best things I could readily test, 57 classic and classic plus...) but I wanted that SOUND, not the feel on a LP, but specifically the feel and aesthetic of a jaguar/jazzmaster.

So, I can reasonably say I'm NOT a gibson guy, Fender made all the best amps and guitars I've owned, and I feel Gibson has a sadly lacking quality gap on thier OPP stuff compared to Epis top of the line stuff.

Your wording is what I'm going on here, so bear with me:
    You want warm thickness of LP but aren't attached to the body and neck?
    Because that's the best shopping real estate to be in. Most heavy (physically) guitars with really good pickups (Gibsons, certain Duncan's, oh, the Vineham pafs seem good...) can scratch that itch. I've heard teles like the one you've pictured that are close, and while I'm hard pressed to say anything bad about Gretsch, but buy a Gretsch if you want a Gretsch, they have a different feel to the neck than LPs, and its been so long since I played a solid body one, I cant say for sure they have that precise tone (I feel like it was different. Not bad, but maybe less bottom more clarity? Been awhile...)
    I've found it a guitar physically feels comfortable to play, finding the version of that with a given pickup array is a good starting point, and you can get better pickups if it's not where you want it.

Edit: the insides of those cases look really clean.
    Also, the pictured humbucker tele has those wide range looking humbuckers. If they're really WR, maybe cool, but if they're the regular ones like in a pawn shop mustang special, they're somewhat lacking, and not good at LP tones.

Blue333 likes this.
  5. Blue333

Blue333 TDPRI Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Corpus Christi, TX
    This is a really good thought. I really like the way my Tele feels and plays, and that Troublemaker felt similar, but better, with a different sound. I did really like the Electromatic version of the Gretsch...

Hmm...i wonder if I can swing the new Tele and the cheaper Gretsch and still be allowed to sleep INSIDE the house?

6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Love that blue Tele.
    I have the EXACT matching Strat.

Blue333 likes this.
  7. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Mar 12, 2016
    San Antonio
    I never played the troublemaker but for a bit less you can get the am pro tele deluxe. It’s a wonderful guitar. The ash one is nice and light. Neck profile and frets are great (for me) as are the shawbuckers.

I got mine used for 800 and liked it so much that I got the solid rosewood neck one new — returned a EOB and brought a couple other things to go with it.

Blue333 likes this.
  8. Blue333

Blue333 TDPRI Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Corpus Christi, TX
    My absolute favorite color on a guitar. I want this one, too. download (4).jpeg

asnarski and howardlo like this.
  9. asnarski

asnarski TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2010
    grand rapids
    Buy it. You’ll love it. I have 6 Teles, 2 Strats, 2 Gibson’s, 2 Ricks, and I grab one of Pro Jets 90% of the time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    I don't think there is a wrong answer here

11. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

Feb 27, 2017
    Palmetto, Florida
    I have a ProJet and can attest that filtertrons are in their own category. With the right amp they can jangle and chime similar to Fender single coils. Even full-on neck pickup, there's a nice bluesy tone but still more definition than you find in most HBs. The electromatic is chambered so it's way less heavy yhan a LP. Be prepared to upgrade bridge, nut, and possible tuners if you're picky, that's where they cut corners- the overall fit and finish is very good though and the neck is just right (for me). One more flavor is always good to have.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.