Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gas Burner Accidentally Turned On...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-rain, Jun 30, 2010.

1. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    My Mom just called me after getting home from some doc appointments. My cousin and her smelled some gas, and noticed the knob on the stove was turned a bit :eek:

What must have happened was she knocked into it on the way out. My cousin helped her open the windows, and suggested we leave it like that for a while. I just called her back to make sure she had the dining room window open, not just the kitchen, so there is cross venthilation.

Of course I goggled this, and also saw it's not wise to turn on or off the lights, that could cause a spark. That got me thinking about the microwave, I assume that's off limits too? Also, how long would it take for the gas to completely air out of the house??? Can we use the microwave tonight, and shut the lights, etc? She says we'll leave them all open till we go to bed tonight.

I always check the knobs whenever I pass the kitchen, but was gone for work already. Now she will be full aware to do so as well.

:confused:

2. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

Jun 25, 2006
    Morro Bay, Ca
    Hard to say without knowing how long it was going, how much it was putting out, how much air is moving with your cross ventilation etc.
    That being said, it shouldn't take long. If you can't smell it anymore (after going outside for a bit, not while you've been in it) you're probably ok. It looks like you posted this about 15 minutes ago, I would be very surprised if it's not already cleared out. You can definitely use your electrical stuff tonight.

3. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2007
    Ottawa
    morroben is correct.
    Once the smell is gone (as opposed to 'once you're used to it') you're OK.

4. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    I'm not even home, she called me about 3:20, which is about 2 hours already and at that point the windows had been opened already (not sure what time she actually got in and realized the issue) I'm just super paranoid, especially with me not being home yet.

I guess I'll see if I smell it when I get home, that will be a good test.

5. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

Jun 25, 2006
    Morro Bay, Ca
    2 hours with the windows open? You don't need to worry...the danger period passed long ago. I wouldn't hesitate to walk in holding a match.

6. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    My wife did this recently in my house too, after I had rerouted several gas lines while installing a new stove. I'd open as many windows in the house as I could, but as morroben says, 2 hours is more than enough time for it to dissipate.

If your stove has an extractor fan, run that for a while too just to be 100% sure.

7. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    The smell may linger for a while. Once it's down to barely noticeable, I'd use a fan to help move the air out. I think it really has to be pretty concentrated to be an explosion danger. She could always have the gas company come out and reassure her.

8. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2007
    Ottawa
    +1
    As long as the leak has stopped you should be OK

9. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    Thanks all, well I got home about an hour ago, and didn't smell anything at all. The windows were open as I said. I did get the faintest hint of a scent when I was standing right by the stove, one teeny whiff and it was gone, but that's probably normally the case. So it has been about at least 5 hours of open windows. We just shut them, but she wants to keep the kitchen window open till sleepy time.

Should we call the gas company tonight, or ya'll think it's cool?

10. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 6, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it wasn't supposed to be possible to have the gas on without a flame: if the pilot light or cooking flame isn't lit, it's supposed to turn off the gas safety valve.

11. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

Jun 25, 2006
    Morro Bay, Ca
    Nah...if it was leaking on it's own you should, but it was leaking because the knob was turned on. Just tell Mom to be careful not to do that again.

12. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    You're probably right, I found this on Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_stove

13. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

Jun 25, 2006
    Morro Bay, Ca
    That's the theory, but it wasn't always the case. I did a gas fireplace install recently (contractor) and when I turned the gas back on I checked the pilot on the wall heater and water heater, but it didn't occur to me that the stove had a pilot as it appeared fairly modern. Tenants came home and I got a phone call. I felt terrible. I really should have known better. Scary! Those things are scary when they happen to you, but scarier when you're putting someone else in danger. The lady that runs the fireplace store told me it happens from time to time and that's why they put the odor in natural gas...and told me it wouldn't prevent me from getting more work through them. Dodged a bullet there.

14. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    Now I'm curious about something else...the flame on the stove should be MOSTLY blue?

According to the NJNG website:

Your natural gas appliances should have a clear, steady blue flame. Small amounts of yellow and orange are normal and may occur occasionally. Be sure to schedule a service call with a qualified professional if your appliance is not operating in this manner.

So i googled and these pics all show the same concept:

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&h...gas+stove+flame&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

But I gotta say, my flames are usually orange with blue mixed in. Those are super blue!

15. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    No, not on range tops and cooktops. Ovens with electronic ignition and modern ovens with pilots have a mechanism that won't open the gas until the igniter is hot (or the pilot is lit), but not the range tops or built-in cooktops. If the pilot is out and you turn the knob, gas escapes. If you barely turn the knob on an electronic ignition cooktop, or go past the "lite" position to fast, just gas comes out... except for a few models (usually higher end) that will even relight the burner if it goes out.

16. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

Jun 25, 2006
    Morro Bay, Ca
    I really wouldn't stress out about this Tele-rain. Did you have any issue with the stove before the knob was left on? The stove didn't leave itself on, someone left it on. Don't let one instance of operator error throw you into a stress storm...I say this because it's the kind of thing I would do. We have better things to stress about.
    If it will help you sleep at night, call the gas company out, though I really don't think it's necessary. Sometimes it's worth it to do something unnecessary for the peace of mind though.

17. tele-rain

Aug 1, 2008
    Bayonne, NJ
    Ah it's okay, I'm not really stressing out anymore, I just got curious with the blue flame thing. My mind odes tend to work in O/T a lot of the time!

And I do appreciate the wise and informative opinions of the crew here, which is why I'm often posting about these life events of mine :lol:

So, thank you all!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.