Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

GarageBand for Windows

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Nubs, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Yes, I realize it doesn't exist. But since putting down my old Mac, I switched over to a laptop as my DAW and am looking for an app that's as close to GarageBand as possible.

With GB, I really liked the fact you could click on a drum track & it would play. I used to do that a ton when I'm messing around and working on my rhythm. Also it's so easy to compile a song made of various back instrument tracks to make a song in a relatively short period of time. Also, recording from a live instrument is essential.

Given all that, what's the best equivalent to GB for Windows? This morning I came across LMMS, but didn't have time to install it and play with it before work. I have the eval version of Reaper, but at first glance that looks pretty daunting and complicated.

Any others out there? Thanks!

2. Hellmark

Hellmark Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2015
    O'Fallon, Mo
    For some reason, there really isn't much of a alternative, which sucks. Everything tends to be more like traditional audio software, despite Garageband's popularity. Even just simple things like having midi and recorded audio in the same project is often a tall order.

3. ThirdMountain

ThirdMountain TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Clinton, MA
    Reaper is the way to go. It's not as daunting as it appears, once you get in there and start playing around it's pretty intuitive. There is a ton of extended functionality that you don't need to dig into to have it function as a basic recording and practice tool. Here's a cool free drum vst that feels very garageband-y...

http://www.powerdrumkit.com/download76187.php

SPUDCASTER and Nubs like this.

4. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    Check BIAB. Type in the chord changes, pick a style and you have a band to back you up. Styles are picked from favorites, or genre, or just type in “Peaceful Easy Feeling”. If you just want drums, or just drums and bass you can cancel the other instruments.

Nubs likes this.

5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Nubs likes this.

6. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2015
    Calgary, AB
    Whatever you get, maybe try Addictive Drums or EZ Drummer plugins - they both seem to work well. Or get another Mac :D

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    xafinity likes this.

8. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    Check this post under Twanger Central Forum. Using BIAB the first one took maybe 3 minutes, the next two 1 minute each. Check the drums....drum breaks.
    JAM THIS.... Delicious 12/8

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017

9. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2009
    Bethesda, MD.
    +1 on Mixcraft. I'm using 7 but 8 is available on sale for the holidays.

Love the ease of use and features. Sometimes it's called GB for Windows, it's not, not by a long shot. Great DAW with a ton of features and a great price.

M

10. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Thanks all. I've been playing with Mixcraft 8 lately and really dig it. It has a TON of great loops which make it easy to throw back tracks together much like GarageBand. I'll check out BIAB too as I read good things about it also.

11. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

Been looking for a software too! Ive switched to a game pc from a macbook so Im needing an alternative!

12. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Take a look at Mixcraft if you're familiar with GarageBand. It's very similar and simple to use. I'm still going to check out Band In A Box also, but so far I find Mixcraft to be the best for me.

13. savvy

savvy Tele-Meister

Dec 15, 2008
    St Annes on sea UK
    Reading this with interest. I am looking for a windows program I can build a track using chord changes input and playback so that I can load and use as a simple backing track, to play along with on guitar port then I can record on Audacity.
    Doesn't need to be complicated with multiple tracks but free would be good.
    Thanks

14. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Texas
    With Band In A Box (well wiorh the cost) you can make the background tracks by typing in the chords and selecting a style. Which typically gives you drums, bass and two guitars (or fiddle, keyboard, Steel Guitar, etc). Each in its own track. You can record a vocal or guitar track right there. Want to record more tracks load it over to the Real Band software they give you with BIAB. The more you spend for BIAB he more styles you get, so you don’t have to go all out to start.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018

15. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe

16. savvy

savvy Tele-Meister

Dec 15, 2008
    St Annes on sea UK
    Thanks both for the replies. Will have a look through and sort something out. I already have Audacity which I record backing tracks from the internet and play over. What I want to do is create a backing track by inputting a chord sequence eg G7, Am7, Cmaj7, Bm7b5, F, so that I can noodle over that and use different modes and scales.
    Once again thanks

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    You might want this then:
    https://lmms.io/
    doesn't record audio but you could make backing tracks.

18. savvy

savvy Tele-Meister

Dec 15, 2008
    St Annes on sea UK
    Thanks, just downloaded Lmms and am going to try to get my head around that to start.
    Cheers

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.