Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gap in a glued seam

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by KAM740, Sep 18, 2017.

1. KAM740

KAM740 TDPRI Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Canada
    so I added a maple top to my current project and beveled it to the body contour, and I've got a wee gap. There is a tiny bit of movement so I need to get some glue in there. I plan to dye this a dark blue-black but want to minimize anything that's going to mess with the finish. I'm thinking if could get thin CA in a syringe I could shoot some in there and it should come together clean. Has anyone done such a thing?

Thanks in advance..... IMG_2231.JPG

2. slick4772

slick4772 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    If you didn't apply equal pressure when gluing the top and the top wasn't pre bent, you're going to have this issue - especially if you tried this over a contour. If you think there's sufficient glue holding it in place, you'll have to fill that gap. I wouldn't use CA glue - I'd use marine epoxy.

KAM740 likes this.

3. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

You're going to have a tough time hiding that with a dye or tint, because whatever glue you end up using won't take the dye like the wood will. Short of starting over, maybe try using to drywall spackle and try to rub that into the seem. At least that will take some of the dye. Then after, you can just go over it with whatever....lacquer, or whatever.

4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Paste wood filler - tinted to the color - is the ONLY thing that won't foul your dark color - but it WILL show a distinct line with whatever color depth you tint the filler.

ALL glues will prevent the color from penetrating and they do not take pigments. Epoxy will leave a clear line that will yellow.

Mohawk is the best paste wood filler for tinting in my experience (4 decades of it)

KAM740 likes this.

5. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Northern California
    I would glue it trying to get as little on the top as I could and then do sunburst sides with an opaque finish. I've tried to fix a few glue lines like that and it's hard to hide.

KAM740 likes this.

6. KAM740

KAM740 TDPRI Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Canada
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to mess around with some scrap for a bit. I did try dying up some filler and it's not too bad in small areas. I read about someone adding fine sawdust to wood glue for small repair, too. It's all about trying stuff out. Part of the fun.

Peltogyne likes this.

7. KAM740

KAM740 TDPRI Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Canada
    IMG_2306.JPG Just to update on this. I finally got up the courage to fix this. I got the lowest viscosity CA I could find and an insulin syringe. After supporting the work so the crack was level, I was able to inject the CA into the crack in several spots. There was some dribble but I just let it dry and it sanded right off. It's not the most beautiful glue line but it's better than the crack was.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.