Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

G&L's new Jazzmaster- the Doheny

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by beyer160, Sep 5, 2017.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

ASAT -- Anti-satellite. Leo liked references to aerospace. Stratocaster was a nod to the Stratofortress bomber. Wags say it stands for After Strat After Tele.

Tribute -- Boris will be along soon! All I can say is I love my USA ASAT. The Doheny is a USA-only model. It's hard to predict what will come out in Tribute form.

2. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2017
    California USA
    Should have named it Trestles

3. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Agreed, BBE-era G&L has definitely become more mainstream and less quirky. There's still plenty of uniqueness in the line, though.

The recent Indonesian Tributes I've played have been uneven- some good, some less so. Good bones, good design, but the QC seems iffy. I do have an Indonesian Tribute that's outstanding, though.

4. JagInTheBag

JagInTheBag TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Grayslake, IL
    Hello, I am JagInTheBag. You may know me from other forums such as GbL or OffsetGuitars. I've been following the release of these guitars pretty closely. Reading through the thread, I can share a few points-

1. They are default a 9.5" fingerboard radius, 7 1/2" and 12" radius are available, each on the Modern Classic Neck Shape.
    2. They are selecting woods to make sure they don't end up with a super heavy guitar- they are looking to keep the weight on average the same as an S-500. Those produced to date weigh from about 7.7 to 8.15 pounds. Not too shabby.
    3. The PTB system is on this guitar, the first time in recent memory that it has been offered in a S-S configuration, especially with MFD's. And it is Reverend that copied G&L on this feature, not the other way around.
    Glad to come a'board! ~JagInTheBag

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

5. JagInTheBag

JagInTheBag TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Grayslake, IL
    They evolved over time, but did so certainly with Leo's input and under his watchful eye. Here is my '87 Skyhawk, noticed that they changed to standard bobbin sized pickups. This didn't change the sound, but it did give them pickups to sell to modders who had his earlier "Fender" instruments. Leo was a pragmatist, an engineer, not a dogmatist.

[​IMG]1987 G&L Skyhawk on Flickr

The body shape still lives on, in the F-100, the Jerry Cantrell Superhawk, and Rampage. IMHO, BBE has done a good job of both listening to what players want out of their products and also honoring the founding fathers by always asking "What Would Leo Do."

ndeli55 likes this.

6. LongLiveRock54

LongLiveRock54 Tele-Holic

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    I've noticed the same thing. I have 3 G&L Tributes from 2004-2005 (CORT Manufactured?) and they just seem better finished than the current crop of Tributes which is why I'll never sell them.

7. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Unless G&L has changed how they do the US guitars, you can order from ANY of their options for neck shape, radius, color.

And yes, their tone control scheme is like the Reverend tone control scheme, it has a bass roll-off.

8. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Someone asked G&L about the neck options over on Guitarsbyleo.com; G&L did confirm that the Doheny is only available with the Modern Classic neck carve at this time - but you can get any of the 3 fretboard radius options (but the 9.5" radius is standard). The Doheny has a unique neck with 21 frets and a different headstock that is a shorter version of the 1980s-style headstock shape. At this time they haven't done CNC programs for the other neck shapes, but they haven't ruled out making the other shapes available at some point in the future. I suspect if the Doheny sells well then they will make the other shapes available.

They are also not offering the Bigsby option on the Doheny. But all the other G&L options are available.

Regarding the separate bass/treble roll-off circuitry - G&L was first with it when the original S-500 came out in 1982. Schecter had a similar circuitry pretty early on - I think their first use of it was in 1983, when they were in the process of moving to Dallas and began focusing on production guitars over being a parts business (in the Van Nuys era they were parts first, production guitars second).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017

9. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    My first G&L was a Nighthawk around 1986. I'm familiar with the bass roll off, and knew Reverend didn't originate it.

JagInTheBag likes this.

10. frankieleeray

frankieleeray TDPRI Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Chicago

11. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I prefer my JM's vibrato, (I play a CP MIM), but I could see picking up a used one of these a few years down the road. Especially if it has cool black inlays on a maple neck. That is pretty pimpin' right there.

12. BigDaddyLH

Combine that with an optional order for neck binding. Mmm-mmm!

13. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2017
    California USA
    Well if no one buys a new one now, it will be hard to find any used ones in the future. :D

14. poikids

poikids TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Aug 7, 2005
    Hermosa Beach CA.
    Ordering 1 tomorrow let you know

JagInTheBag likes this.

15. Catawompus

Catawompus Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2014
    Switzerland
    Those pickups sound killer....

ReaL Madras likes this.

16. poikids

poikids TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Aug 7, 2005
    Hermosa Beach CA.
    It is going to take 8 weeks

17. BigDaddyLH

That's fast! When I ordered my ASAT it took nine months. It was like having a baby!

18. JagInTheBag

JagInTheBag TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Grayslake, IL
    New Shoot Out! Doheny -vs- Jazzaster

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I think I'd prefer to see Big Sur on the headstock.

JagInTheBag likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.