Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

G&L's new Jazzmaster- the Doheny

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by beyer160, Sep 5, 2017.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    UH-OH, says the family budget. Tell me they don't offer a 7.25" or 9.5" radius in a nice Fat C or D or U, 'cause only a bad neck will keep me from one of these. (I also do much like Fender/Squire's traditional "rhythm" mud-circuit on a JM.)

But if G&L's PTB circuit is like Reverend's fine bass contour feature--is it?--...uh-oh.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Still not on the G&L website :mad:

3. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location

These are USA G&Ls, so I imagine you can order the same neck options as their other guitars-

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/usa/options/guitar.asp

Never played a Reverend, but the PTB gives you high and low frequency roll-off controls.

Official release date is 9/12.

I just realized I don't have a dealer anywhere near me anymore, which is a big bummer.

4. BigDaddyLH

The local music store where I order my G&L is no longer a dealer. I asked why and they said the wait was too long: people would order a guitar and it would take 18 months or more.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Wow.
    Kinda shocking, and a bummer.
    I'm friends with the local G&L dealer, I wonder if the wait is the same this side of the border.

6. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    Hardtail in sunburst or natural for me.

brookdalebill likes this.

7. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    That JM trem is indeed special. I do get weird pings from mine sometimes, but they're worth it. It's such a lush yet subtle thing. And it stays in tune remarkably well. If I had to choose, I'd go decent JM over even a great Strat. I'm plenty dumb, but even for me, it's amazing it took me decades to realize how great JM's are.

Ex-riverman, ac15 and Big tuna like this.

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Thanks for clearing that up. How many times have I heard that song and never caught that?

9. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2012
    east side
    We could go on and on about jm and jag tremololo's and if you want more strat as i have seen in footage of a proto type thats cool but to me the weird quirks that make them what they are changes. I just like them the way they started but these look pretty cool.At least they don't have humbuker pu's in them!

10. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    These look nice; like a few others have posted I've always liked G&L's saddle lock hardtail bridge. I've never really been bitten my the Jazzmaster/Jaguar bug (although I have tried out the current Fender American Professionals out of curiosity) but I would like to try out the G&L - assuming I can find one without having to custom order one.

It's obvious they aren't trying for something a Jazzmaster "purist" would play here; these are going to be more for their customer base and for those who like the offset shape but have issues with some of the traditional Jazzmaster hardware (i.e. the rhythm circuit, the bridge/trem setup, etc.) - much like Fano, K-Line and a few others offer Jazzmaster-style instruments with Gibson-style tune-o-matic bridges and either P-90s or humbucker pickups. Plus of course both Anderson and Suhr now have offset-body models that have Strat-style tremolos, so why shouldn't G&L get in on the action (for a fraction of the price of the Fano, Suhr or Anderson).

In answer to the neck question: I would imagine the "standard" neck would be G&L's "Modern Classic" shape - which is their variation on the Fender American Standard "Modern C/slim taper" neck with the 9.5" radius - like it is for most of their other USA models. I could be wrong since these have a 21 fret neck while the other G&L models have 22-fret necks; they may well have specked out a unique neck for these.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017

11. BigDaddyLH

That 21 fret thing is interesting -- all the other G&L necks as you know are 22 frets with no overhang, so this is different.

12. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Aaaannnddddd...they are making these in lefty too! I asked on the G&L forums and got an exciting "yes" response.

rz350 likes this.

13. BigDaddyLH

Left on! G&L is really good about makes almost all their USA models available in lefty, at no extra charge. And Fender? Meh.

rz350 and brookdalebill like this.

14. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    They look awesome but there's one thing that keeps bugging me about them.

And I only need to bring up one G&L model to prove my point.
    [​IMG]
    The S500 was originally thought up to be the ultimate version of the Stratocaster, they really made an effort when coming up with that one. And with it being the company's longest running model, they sure got it right.

EXCEPT for the fact that when it originally came out in the early eighties it looked like THIS!
    [​IMG]
    It was NEVER meant to be a strat copy but after Leo Fender passed away, it became one because that was what would sell the model.

I have the same feeling about this Doheny model, there's no individuality about that thing, no quirky G&L slant to its look to it, it's a copy.

G&L use as their catchphrase "Guitars as Leo intended" but Leo was always about improving, never looking back, why would he repeat himself?

15. BigDaddyLH

Until today! http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/guitars/doheny/index.asp

Introducing G&L Doheny: the Evolution of the Offset

Inspired by the classic surf sound born in Southern California, the new G&L Doheny™ takes its name from the iconic beach in the heart of Orange County where '60s surf pioneers became legends. Since those halcyon days, both music and surfing have evolved far beyond their roots, and so has the the performance of the gear.

Doheny takes the bolt-on offset-body into new sonic territory with newly developed Magnetic Field Design™ jazz pickups, the first on any production G&L. Naturally, these new pickups will invite comparison to Leo’s jumbo MFD™ ASAT® Special pickups, given they employ a narrow bobbin aperture and broad coil splay. But Doheny's MFD pickups are more about jangle than twang, just as they should be for a guitar like this. With a classic jazz bobbin aperture wrapped with traditional Formvar wire, these pickups just might be the approach Leo would have taken had he been with us a few years longer.

So what’s it like? The sound is rich in harmonics yet surprisingly full, the result of carefully researching and applying Leo’s creative work across the decades. The Doheny pickups deliver the experience fans have hoped for, with their flexibility maximized by the PTB tone system that allows echoes of yesteryear while delivering more output and range for today’s music. Add in Leo’s finest vibrato for enhanced tuning stability and improved sustain, and the results are astounding.

Founded by Leo Fender† in 1980, G&L USA instruments continue to be made in the historic G&L facility on Fender Avenue in Fullerton, California, the Birthplace of Bolt-on™.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: I also notice that on the options page, block inlay (white or black) is now offered in general.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    BorderRadio and brookdalebill like this.

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    ^^^^^^^
    The black one looks cool!

Paul Jenkin likes this.

17. BigDaddyLH

Reminds me of the Geddy Lee JB, but I love tort with black.

[​IMG]

18. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah pretty much my thoughts about post-Leo G&L, but there are some quirks left, including the MFDs and two point floating trem. I think modern G&L can claim more connection to Fender designs than, say GFS, and a USA G&L more than a Squier VMJM. I wish G&L named it something else though, and gave a Mastery bridge and trem option.

2 Headed Goat likes this.

19. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I bought a JM earlier this year. I certainly would have considered one of these had they been available at the time. Nice looking guitars.

BorderRadio likes this.

20. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Agree - but my fave would be the body of the blue one with the maple neck / black block inlay.

Not sure if these will be available in the UK or how much but I could definitely fancy one of these :cool:

Incidentally - I keep seeing references to "ASAT" in conjunction with G&L. I know it looks like a Tele but does anyone know what "ASAT" actually stands for? Also, are the "Tribute" versions all good?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.