Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

G&L Tribute-- Quality Control?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by 0utputXfmr, Jan 12, 2019.

1. 0utputXfmr

0utputXfmr TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    York, Pennsylvania
    Quick question for anyone who owns a G&L Tribute ASAT-- how is the quality control in fit & finish?

I'm asking because in most of the product photos of the Tribute ASAT's on Musician's Friend I see a pretty sizeable gap between the bridgeplate and the pickguard. Also, there are a few horror photos posted in some of the MF reviews of the bridge location being shifted in various directions. Are these worst case? Or something to genuinely keep an eye out for?

I'm kind of eyeballing one of those turquoise metallic Tribute ASAT Bluesboys to scratch my Tele itch...

2. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2018
    San Bruno, CA
    I have one now, and had another that I foolishly sold, both of them are/were phenomenal in quality. Absolutely comparable in feel to my USA Teles, and better quality wood than my MIM Fenders.

I have heard that the quality of the ones that Musicians Friend does the deals on has suffered a bit and that the electronics aren't as good as they were, but I haven't inspected one up close. I'm actually tempted to grab one of the bluesboys one of these days.

IMG_2582.JPG IMG_3026.JPG IMG_3027.JPG

3. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I'm one of the horror stories. Bought a surf green / turquoise one from Musicians Friend. It had all kinds of crazy fret sprout and the action was like some kind of high wire trapeze act...

It looked beautiful but would have needed at least $60 worth of work to make it playable. I sent it back.

I will not buy another G&L Tribute unless I can play it first.

I have played others that were okay, but the one they sent me was definitely not OK.

4. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I own 2 Tributes, but have owned a total of 5. I have found the QC to be very good for the price point, no complaints here. But I'm with you, I want to play them first. I've had 2 develop some fret sprout, which I can fix and did. On 3 of those 5, I've completely gutted them replacing all electronics and pickups. Tge two I have now are keepers, and tone monsters. Heres my latest...

Attached Files:

soulman969 likes this.
  5. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 5, 2015
    Dee-troit City
    I’ve heard people complain about it, but the two I’ve owned have both had exceptional fit and finish.

soulman969 likes this.
  6. ultra80096

ultra80096 TDPRI Member

May 15, 2015
    IA
    I don't have any Asats but my two tribute Legacy's were bought online & both were very nice. Fit & finish were excellent, just needed a bit of tweeking like any guitar may need.

soulman969 and TeleTown like this.
  7. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    I love my Tribute. Flawless. Period.[​IMG]

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

soulman969 and ultra80096 like this.
  8. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    I have a tribute ... all in all not bad for what I paid for it ... but be prepared for fret work and a good set up.
    I'm probably going to change the neck PU one of these days

soulman969 likes this.
  9. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    I have owned 5 to 6 in the past. Fret levels made them very good players. But most guitars benefit as well. Those sale models from Musicians Friend are not typical of most and have lesser quality pickups. Make sure they have the USA pickups Sold all off as I have become a Godin fanboy. Had a USA ASAT that I should have kept though.

soulman969 likes this.
  10. e23589

e23589 Tele-Meister

Apr 12, 2011
    California
    I have one. It was the stupid deal of the day. The price was right but the first one they sent me wasn't right, I think it was someone elses return. The replacement is not bad. I don't like the six brass barrel saddle bridge. The saddle screws seem to loosen and buzz and require tightening from time to time. Nothing a different bridge won't cure. The neck is perfect! The guitar stays in tune. The pickups are decent.
    If a person can pick one up on the Stupid deal of the day it's worth it!

11. Acoustotron

Acoustotron TDPRI Member

May 9, 2012
    Here and there
    I’ve had six tributes: ASAT Special, ASAT Classic, ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-hollow, Legacy, S-500, and Fallout (still have the Fallout). All were of excellent quality quite close to my USA models (three ASAT Specials and two ASAT Classic Bluesboys). All but one of the Tributes were purchased online. Maybe I’m just lucky but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one if I was in the market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Nubs and soulman969 like this.
  12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Sacramento, California
    I had a G&L L-2500 Tribute Bass. I bought it when they first came out with the Tribute line. It was hands down a professional quality instrument. Body was beautiful amber over swamp ash. Hardware was heavy duty and it was built like a tank. Played it for about 10 years and never had to fix a thing. Pickups were awesome. It was as well built as any of the US-made guitars I've ever owned. Only reason I got rid of it was it weighed a ton - 12 1/2 lbs. Got to a point where I couldn't stand and play it for more than an hour or so, and then my back would ache for the next couple of days.

Like Acoustotron, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Tribute either.

soulman969 likes this.
  13. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    The good ones are outstanding, but they do have some clunkers. I had an ASAT with multiple popped-up frets, and I've seen some with ridiculous fret sprout. Given the relative availability of cheap used USA G&Ls I only have one Tribute now (a Legacy), and it's a definite keeper.

14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Same here. I have an ASAT Special and an L2500 Bass. I consider them some of the best used gear bargain available. The finish is better than my Fender products.

Here's pics of both.

Attached Files:

Nubs and shupe13 like this.
  15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I suspect if you buy from a local dealer who actually inspects what he sells and corrects any issues those types of issues may not be there.

MF and GC buy 'em as is and ship 'em as is using their liberal return or exchange policy as their backstop. Mine came from local type dealers and had no major issues.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 at 1:07 AM
    Les Paul lover and JayFreddy like this.
  16. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have both the Fallout and Doheny on my to-get list

17. Dean James

Dean James Tele-Meister

May 13, 2016
    Podunk, New England
    I own a 2017 (?) G&L Tribute ASAT Classic Semi–Hollow Bluesboy. Long name. Blonde–wash Ash body, brown tortoise pickguard, rosewood fretboard on a maple neck. A handsome guitar that sounds great... rougher, rootsier than I would have expected.

Fit & finish are fine, except for one thing. The bridge was slightly tilted &, as the OP mentioned, off–kilter & at a funny angle / distance relative to the bottom edge of the pickguard.

Adjustment / repair was simple. I loosed the outer two bridgeplate screws & gently pressed. It sort of shifted into proper place by itself. Retightening the screws held it firmly in its proper position.

It felt as if the screws had been tightened unevenly or slightly crooked. Simple loosening & retightening & a little English on the bridge itself worked out well.

18. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 5, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    I bought mine a few months ago from MF as the Stupid Deal of the Day and it's a great guitar. Good fit and finish. The bridge is an even 2 mm or so from the pick guard and is flat against the body. No sharp frets, etc.

19. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2017
    England
    I bought an ASAT Special Tribute last year. It was a B stock and 1/2 New price.

As for QC.... let's be clear, when mine was checked QC went on holiday. I'm sure he had a really nice time, and that's a lovely thought.

I could fit my thumb nails under some frets. The action was incredibly high to make it playable - with so many raised frets, anything less than 4 or 5mm (around 1/5 inch) at the twelfth fret meant that when fretting down a string I had crazy string buzz or killed the note altogether.

I had to hammer a number of them in, learn and perform a fret level, fret crowning and polishing.

I've got a great axe now though. Love it! The jumbo MFD pick ups are excellent, and now I've fixed the neck, it's action is as good as any other guitar.

Beside the neck, the finish was excellent.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.