Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

G&L Tribute ASAT is US$319 for 3 more hours

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by dswo, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    I always wanted a G&L since they first came out. I think the "Tribute" is made in China or Indonesia. Are these competition for Squier?

2. Penguinchit

Penguinchit TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Minneapolis
    They're more competition for MIM. I had a Tribute ASAT Special and it was a fantastic instrument. Build quality is present, hardware quality is present and tone is present.

cnlbb likes this.

3. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    It's still $319 and it was $299 last week. I have the feeling it's gonna be deeply discounted until they get rid of as many as they need to get rid of...

4. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midalnds, GB
    Unless recently changed ... G&L Tributes are made at the Cort factory in Indonesia.
    Personally, got the ASAT CLassic Bluesboy semi-hollow. Great ... value for the money and, at those prices, if you don't like the pickups/hardware they're easily changed.
    If this is an internet offer ... usual problem buying over the web - will you like the neck/feel/aesthetic on arrival, or are MF stores local as well? Can't see your link here ... it goes to a piano offer :eek:!
    Good luck ...

5. Penguinchit

Penguinchit TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Minneapolis
    If they ever put the Tribute ASAT Special up, I'd highly recommend it for the MFDs. I like the MFD better than the P90. It's like a full range, full bodied P90.

Tsquared likes this.

6. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    IMO better than the Squire ... Much better. Of course opinions vary.

A little minor fretwork and set up and you are good to go. Don't expect it to sound exactly like a Tele but it is close and sounds really good and plays easy. I have a lot of guitars. Some fairly expensive ones too. I have been using the Tribute more than the rest of them including my 52 reissue Tele. I would buy two of them at that price if I was inclined to buy another one. ,With a little modification ...like a bone nut and upgraded pick ups it can be a killer.

J Hog likes this.

7. Penguinchit

Penguinchit TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Minneapolis
    One issue I had with my ASAT was the high e. I felt like it was so close to the edge of the fretboard and I always fell off. Some people had the same issue while others didn't, so I assume it was my playing style. That was the main reason I traded it for my Tele.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I think some with carved tops, and for example the Jerry Cantrell model and some 3x3 headstock models, are made in mainland China. The bulk of those Tributes sold are from the Cortek plant in Surabaya, Indonesia.

Ironically, many of the same workers there are also engaged in manufacturing Squiers. Some of the Deluxe, Standard and Vintage Modified models, built side by side with the Tribute reproductions of G + L instruments.

IMO, if you think you may be able to afford a true, USA made G + L, play both the Tribute and the real deal and decide for yourself - you may be able to get a used USA G + L for a lot less than you think (depreciation is outrageous). But if you know you cannot afford the USA ones, don't play those - they will spoil you and the Indonesian ones just will not substitute.

I'm going to try to say something, knowing it may not make sense to very many of you. I think, if you just picked up a nice Tribute and played it and never knew there was a better substitute, so long as the fretwire was nicened up, you might never know what you're missing. That is, the Tribute is a good product - miles better than the import garbage that once got shipped to kids in the USA in the 1960s or 1970s - or even 1980s and 1990s in some cases. You could play shows with it - the nut is kinda soft, the jack connection might fail but you could be fine. The thing that's hard for people to gather is........

A Tribute is not a very good G + L. A decent guitar, but not a very good G + L. If you want that hand assembled, hand fitted custom guitar feel, find some USA examples and buy one of those that's not a cast off or something 1 disgruntled customer returned or some such. Forced to say, I would compare the Tributes to some of the nicer Squiers and compare the Fullerton (USA) G + Ls to the guitars from Fender's Custom Shop - that's the clearest parallel. Not exact, but you get the idea.

Uncle Bob likes this.

9. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    Likely G&L wont ship new models until they get cash for GC current inventory. Low prices to raise that cash. No one wants to get too far behind a company like GC.

10. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    G&L ASAT Tributes are going for a minimum of £350 POUNDS STERLING USED in the UK - so knock yourselves out my USA friends...........

11. HesNot

HesNot TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2017
    North Carolina
    Well I like the G&L necks more than the non US Fender ones - and at the moment even used a US G&L or Fender is a bit out of reach - trying to decide between one of these and a local used Ibanez Talman TM303M... leaning towards one of these since I've played a bluesboy tribute and liked the feel and assume these will be similar.

12. Dunnigan

Dunnigan Tele-Meister

Apr 27, 2017
    USA
    I bought a G&L USA earlier this year, and the street prices seem to have gone up since then. Right now the cheapest used ASAT Classic on Reverb is 850. I just haven't seen the major depreciation often mentioned as a caution against G&L.

My G&L is a fine and dandy instrument. I'll be keeping it happily for quite awhile, unless I can't resist one of their black bursts on quilted maple. Dang!

I've never owned a Tribute or a MIM Fender. But the MIM Fender Teles I played at my local store were cool. I was thinking tribute or MIM Fender initially, but I found the G&L USA at a price I could do. I really wanted a hard case, so that swayed me to the USA instruments.

I haven't played enough to get real particular on this neck over that neck profile.

13. GGardner

GGardner TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    I have the Korean Tribute ASAT. Really thin neck (which might not be everyone's cup of tea). I really like the pickups. The wires and pots are crap but an inexpensive fix. And, of course, it's built like a tank.

14. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Meister

Feb 17, 2012
    Colorado
    I have two USA G&L's and they're both terrific. I played a Tribute model a while back and was disappointed. Fit and finish weren't anywhere near as good as on the Squier Telecasters I've played. That said, the G&L pickups are absolutely fantastic. I'm sure somebody could take a Tribute ASAT, do a little tweaking and have an amazing guitar.

15. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I've found the QC on the recent Indonesian Tributes to be iffy. Some are great, some not so.

For some reason I can't get my head around, GC/MF have several "exclusive" Tribute models that are often on sale for $300. They all have Cort-made versions of the USA G&L pickups (while previous Tributes had always had USA pickups), and the ASATs have alnico pickups instead of MFDs. They have an HSS Legacy that's really nice, but they cheaped out on the $1 worth of parts to allow you to coil split the humbucker... even though the pickup itself is 4-wire.

I have a USA 3-bolt Legacy as well as a recent Indonesian Legacy Tribute. They're very different but I like 'em both enough that I don't plan on selling off the Tribute as redundant.

Based on my experience, I'd rate the following models thusly (lowest to highest):

Squier Standard
    MIM Standard
    Squier CV
    G&L Tribute
    Higer end MIM (Classic series, artist models, Baja, etc)
    Fender USA Standard (or whatever they're calling it now)
    G&L USA

And that ASAT is back on SDOTD for $300 until 8am Eastern (5am Pacific). If you miss it, don't worry- I'm sure there'll be another $300 deal on those sometime soon.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?icid=210190

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.