Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

G&L Owners club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by OM 21, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    West Virginia
    I bought this one locally, about 6.8 lbs per my bathroom scale. It was worked over before being hung on the wall for sale - nut and frets. It has an Alnico humbucker and an MFD in the bridge.

Now if I could just learn how to play I'd be set.

asatfan and 1Coil like this.

2. Pickcity

Pickcity TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I am hoping to pick up an ASAT Tele in the next couple of days. There is one for sale locally and it is used but like new mint condition. $350 is a fair enough price if the condition is anything as described, and from what I can tell in the pictures. It is a beautiful banana pudding type color with maple fretboard. If I do bring it home I will be sure to post pics.

G&L's are awesome!

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I added a second G&L just a month or so ago but this one on the low end side. Once again it's an exceptionally versatile great playing instrument and the value for the dollar spent by buying used is impressive.

Dunnigan and 1Coil like this.

4. Vitadog

Vitadog TDPRI Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Somonauk, IL

NGD - G&L ASAT Savannah Bluesboy 90

I was looking into having Bob Logan make me another tele with a P90 neck and while trolling Reverb I came across this. Couldn't say no for the price. I have a Tribute Bluesboy that I modified with some TV Jones pickups that I truly love and am looking forward to getting my hands on the guitar later this week. The Savannah series was a limited run of 250 guitars so perhaps 50 were made in this model. Semi-hollow with solid top. Will post pictures when it gets here.
    1Coil and Uncle Bob like this.

5. Petewelding

Petewelding TDPRI Member

Sep 8, 2017
    I've had an asat classic tribute thinline Tele for 6 months, there has been no fender( wherever made) that's touched it for sound. USA pickups, fender locking machine heads and a 5 way toddle selector. Wow.....this thing rocks. All for £290 with vox ac15 valvetronix modelling amp!!! Bargain of the year... Even stands up to my gibbo midtown p90s semi. Can't praise it enough lads.
    ..... IMG_20171103_145446047.jpg IMG_20171103_145416086.jpg IMG_20171103_145525085.jpg
    Dunnigan, 1Coil and Uncle Bob like this.

6. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    First G&L Lemon... Ever!

Purchased a Legacy Tribute on line, beautiful with metallic blue body, rosewood neck. I have had great luck with G&Ls, both US and Asian. Not this time.

The neck/frets could not be intonated properly. Adjusted the truss rod and still had fret buzz, with the muffled low E string you sometimes got on Strats. The bridge was placed in such a way that even with the saddles cranked all the way back the octave was sharp. Not sure if there is any fix for that. I may try another bridge, or cut the saddle springs in half so as to get further back. Perhaps there are shorter saddles themselves?

I had a Strat neck from an Am Standard I put on as a test and the buzz went away, but the intonation problem still exists. I'm not sure how this lemon made it out of the factory. Quality control on G&Ls is usually very good.

I guess I am just griping. I am not the type to just put it up for sale again, the buyer would be as disappointed as I am. So I am stuck with this. Not sure if anyone else has bought a bad one.

7. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Oct 12, 2010
    New Joisey
    Update: I took off the saddles, cut the springs in half so I could crank the saddles further back and it now intonates. Finally fully playable.
    brookdalebill likes this.

8. death-to-yancey

death-to-yancey Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2017
    Picked up my first G&L this weekend. It’s an import Legacy Tribute model. Wasn’t planning on getting a new guitar, but things fell into place and I acquired it on a trade for something I haven’t even looked at in years lol. I knew the brand has a huge following and supporters, but I assumed it would be a typical import guitar. Man was I wrong. The build quality and feel is really outstanding on these! I’m not quite getting along with the pickups yet, but the neck plays really great and sounds really loud and clear unplugged, so I know the plugged in tones will be there. Plus, it’s one gorgeous guitar! IMG_0347.JPG
    horax, 1Coil, savofenno and 4 others like this.

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Back in the days of olde, I had one guitar, a 1982 G&L SC-1, custom made with a neck pickup and two-pointer. Love that thing, I put in a lot of time with this one, and yes all the wear is real.

G&L SC1.jpg
    2 Headed Goat, aerhed and 1Coil like this.

10. 1Coil

1Coil TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2015
    SF Bay Area
    Congrats, great score on your part!

Maybe you have tried these, but here are some things you might try to adjust the tone (short of new pups):

> Adjust the pickup height(s). (I like them quite low, myself. I was doubtful when I came across this on y-toob, but it really brings out a tone that I like.)

> Adjust the pickup angles. I do this by ear to ensure the balance of lows and highs are what I like to hear.

> The Passive Treble & Bass (PTB) controls are quite different from other S-style guitars. The treble is the knob between the other two, and affects all of the pickups. Varying the volume and treble results in markedly different tone variations. The bass also affects all of the pickups and is mostly used to reduce any muddyness in the mix--rolling it back sharpens the tone so as to cut through.

> One cool, simple, effective mod is to add a switch which allows combination of the neck and bridge pickups. Then you can have neck and bridge together, or neck, middle, and bridge together.

Please pardon if you're already aware of these. Just thought I'd mention them in case they've been overlooked.

Best of luck with the great guitar!
    death-to-yancey likes this.

11. death-to-yancey

death-to-yancey Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2017
    You’re completely fine! And actually thank you! I have raised the pickup height first, and seemed to make things worse. I planned on lowering them in a few days if I couldn’t find a sweet spot, but honestly I didn’t have much hope that going lower would do any good for what I was wanting, but you’re right. This guitar has been very “hi-fi” and generic sounding, but man it’s came into it the lower I set the pups! Very creamy neck and middle positions. And the bridge even is starting to bite a little bit. These G&L’s really are hidden gems it seems.
    1Coil likes this.

12. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

Apr 5, 2007
    Evergreen, Colorado
    IMG_20171226_174520328.jpg I just joined the club with a used ASAT Classic S in sonic blue with forearm and belly contours. Amazing guitar!

13. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Friend of Leo's

Apr 5, 2007
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Wow. I am SO glad I took a chance and bought this baby. Where have you been all my life? I cannot put this guitar down.
    asatfan and 1Coil like this.

14. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    savofenno and TeleBrew like this.

15. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    S-500. NGD!

I picked this pretty lady up last night after work. Like new condition. Not a mark on it, plastic still under the volume and 2nd tone knobs.

My first "Strat". (I've never been a fan of what they feel/sound like). This one may not be around for long, but it has certainly impressed thus far.

Attached Files:

1Coil, Otis Fine and sirbergersworth like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.