Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

G&L Owners club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by OM 21, Jun 26, 2009.

1. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

Jul 2, 2009
    Northeast Pa
    I don't have a G&L, but I'm lusting after a Fallout or an SC-2. So, I'm building one. Would you be willing to take some measurements for me? (Width at the lower bout, waist, upper bout; length; thickness). I'm going off a Mustang body shape but want to tweak it as close as I can to the G&L.

2. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

Oct 4, 2009
    Montreal Canada
    I have these two :

2006 Indonesian Legacy Tribute in Blueburst
    2011 USA Legacy in Tangerine G&L Legacy Tribute Blueburst MII 2006 (1).JPG G & L Legacy USA 2011 Tangerine (3).JPG

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Not as of yet am I an owner but long about Saturday I expect a Tribute ASAT Special to arrive that's been on my wish list for a bit. The neck may take a little getting used to but I love the tone of those MFD pickups. Almost a P90 but not quite. It's that in between those and Tele single coils I lacked and this will fit that niche.

4. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    My ASAT arrived today so I'm legally allowed to join in now. :D

I picked it up used on Reverb on a superb deal for a guitar in absolutely mint condition. All it needs is a bit of tweaking to get the setup how I like it but otherwise it's as good as it gets for any used guitar. Can't wait to get a few hours of playing time in on it so I can get a feel for the rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^ That's a burst done right!

6. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's

You're going to love that thing! Nice.

savofenno and soulman969 like this.

7. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

You know it really is BD. I was impressed how they used the same finish they have on the back to create the darker boarder of the 'burst and the edges. The brown looks nicer than black. It's a nice touch.

But my God does this thing play and sound great. As usual I had to take the action down quite a bit for me and get used to the neck profile which has some "meat" to it but after half an hour or so my fingers were pulling off the riffs I intended them to and I love those pickups. Kinda half Tele and half P90.

I have to wonder if Leo had never sold Fender whether they might have become another option for Teles in the '70s. They're another of his designs I have to tip my hat to. He got the fullness of P90 but kept all of the clarity of a Tele single coil. Different but in a very good way. They are simply very good guitars from the fit and finish all the way to their playability.

savofenno and 1Coil like this.

8. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

You are spot on brother. I do. I have a feeling it'll get a lot of play.

9. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I have a technical question I'm hoping someone can help with.

I popped the hood on my ASAT Spc. to see what value cap was used and to install a treble bleed and I found a cap soldered in the position on the volume pot where a treble bleed would normally go. If that's what it is I'm not finding I to be very effective. The tone rolls of significantly once the volume is rolled back in slightly.

Before I replaced it with what I typically use on my Teles I though I should ask exactly what that cap is and it's function in the circuit. If anyone can tell me it would be most appreciated. Thanks!

10. Tobias

Tobias Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2015
    Amersfoort
    Soulman - I have no answer for you but noticed 'interesting' wiring myself.

Here's mine - swapped my upgraded vm cabronita with bigsby for it, and don't regret it at all. 20170421_101921.jpg 20170421_090424.jpg
    My #1 is a strat (cv 60s), but I love the extra output this has.

Attached Files:

11. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Question answered. Apparently it is this simplest form of treble bleed which I have never come across before. Only the first two and the "Duncan" type approach is what I've always used. Just thought I'd throw this out there as an FYI in case someone else bumps into the same thing.

[​IMG]

12. Humbuster

Humbuster Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2009
    en route.
    My last ever new guitar and re-entry into the G&L Family. USA ASAT Bluesboy in Tobacco Burst.

[​IMG]

Perfect for pickin' on the front porch through my 72 VibroChamp along with some bourbon to sip.

13. frank4001

frank4001 Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    ASAT jack got flakey so I removed it but pulled a little hard and the ground wire became disconnected from tha jack and hot wire from the pot.
    But got very confusef as the.hot wire looks like its soldered to both the ground and hot
    Any ideas
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017

14. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Just as sort of a post script to my initial post about the ASAT. All I can say is I've played few guitars in my life that are any harder than this one to put down. It got to the point where I needed to tell myself to play the Teles again just to allow my ear to notice the differences in feel and tonality.

Luckily all of mine are male Teles so there was no jealousy or shunning just because I was also fond of another. :lol:

1Coil likes this.

15. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

May 20, 2017
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Here's my 2017 USA Legacy. I own a few Fender Strats but I never really bonded with them. I really love this one sounds awesome and really molds to my body. I've owned /own many guitars but never had one that becomes part of you like this one. Not to mention it looks and sounds really cool with my Orange Rocker 32. It also sounds great with my DR Z MAZ 18 and my Vox AC 10c1. I don't think I'll be buying anymore Fenders. I have a used G&L USA ASAT special in vintage sunburst on the way. Picked it up for $645.00 Anyone want to buy some Fenders.?

Attached Files:

1Coil and Otis Fine like this.

16. Vitadog

Vitadog Tele-Meister

Jun 22, 2014
    Somonauk, IL
    Here is mine: G&L Tribute Bluesboy. I saw it in a no reserve auction on Ebay and bid stupid money ($200.00) and won! I had some T.V. Jones Magnatrons, a new bridge and custom pickguard installed. Everyone who picks it up says what a dream it is to play and it sounds unbelievable. I used the original bridge pickup in a partscaster Esquire baritone (far left of group photo). She's not stock but definitely a keeper. Sorry for the cruddy pics, iPad takes horrible pictures.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

17. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

May 20, 2017
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Well let me update my last post with a little story. I ordered what I thought was a ASAT SPECIAL from GC online for $645.00 plus tax and shipping $745.00. The ad said Excellent condition. Well I got the guitar and it was a Legacy which I didn't want because I had just bought one a week before. So I was like well its a nice guitar mabey i'll keep it or sell it and try to make a couple bucks. It was not in original condition someone had changed the bridge pick up to a Duncan single coil sized humbucker not a deal breaker. It needed a little setup someone put 9,s on it and never adjusted the Vibrato so it was all the way down against the body. A set of 10,s fixed that and the string buzz. So i take it to practice it plays nice sounds good mabey I'll keep it. Until I saw the neck had a huge crack and had been repaired. I think putting the 10,s on opened it up. So i take it back to GC and they take it back. But I think it was very deceitful of them first off it was not the one I ordered second it was broken [not excellent condition]. I have had other problems with them and will not buy used guitars online from them again. I really have NO LOVE FOR GUITAR CENTER.! So the search continues for a used ASAT SPECIAL at a good price. I don't see too many of them online though I do see a lot of the ASAT Classics.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017

18. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    If I was hunting, I'd keep hitting reverb and fleabay for a 3 bolt ASAT. Alternatively a USA special with OLS. The thin body is where it's at.

19. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    Congrats. I got mine two years ago. It is a keeper.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    John O and 1Coil like this.

20. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.