Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

G&L Owners club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by OM 21, Jun 26, 2009.

1. VictorNoel

VictorNoel TDPRI Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Bucks Co., PA
    I'm sure that VictorNoel's decision to off-load the Tele was strictly financial. Who wouldn't want both? My wife might not always agee, but I think it is impossible to own TOO MANY guitars! Variety is the spice.....................

I firmly believe that G&L is Leo's fullfilment of his own personal dream to give us players the finest instument he could without the compromise of business-influenced goals. He never tried to push G&L on us. He put forth his final ideas and then left it to us to decide. I have read that it was Leo's desire that G&L remain (in effect) a Custom Shop....................

Some say Leo Fender is the inventor of modern music. I personally thank him for what has been the most spiritually-rewarding aspect of my life, being my music. Yes, all of his creations should be celebrated equally.

I really did like my Baja Tele. It was well-built & rock solid, big fan of the neck, & the pickups were quite nice. I just thought I'd be more into the switching system than I was. Instead of doing some mods, even something simple, I traded it to someone who was looking for a very nice Baja. Like you guys, I love all things Fender. Especially ASATs/Teles.

2. GreeneFan

GreeneFan Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2009
    SE Virginia
    Here's my admission ticket to the club.

Had it since around '95, but for whatever reason, never really bonded with it...... till now.

Am in the process of really starting to love the pickups, Tele like or not, they are HOT but very very clean, helping me to get something of that bell like ring I usually associate with larger gauge strings and tuning down.

I never really dug the white/black color scheme, but after seeing some all black Tele's and ASATs, I ordered the black pickup covers (dirt cheap) and made a shorty black guard. I'm likin it. A lot. I also made a cherry (with a big ole knot) and a maple shorty guard to try out if I get tired of the black.

Then there's the rosewood/maple neck I bought for it, but like it too much the way it is to bother switching them.

Attached Files:

3. blargfromspace

blargfromspace Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2010
    Australia
    I bought one just like this last night on ebay, a 1997 model. Cant wait to get it!:D
    I'm going to change the pickups in it (I already have two ASAT Classic's with standard pickups) to Don Mares DonOcasters as soon as cash allows.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2003
    Tug Hill Plateau
    Pups

Send me those G&L pups please,blargfromspace
    I'll make good use of them.

JJ

6. blargfromspace

Apr 8, 2010
    Australia
    Hi John
    I usually hang on to stuff like pickups but if I decide to get rid of them you'll get them. For a small price of course....

7. vox Phantom

vox Phantom Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2010
    Wynantskill NY
    I have a 2001 G&L Asat Classic in Clear Orange with a
    Swamp Ash Body and a Maple Neck. I don't have any pictures
    yet when I get them I'll post them:cool:

8. Jammin'John

Mar 20, 2003
    Tug Hill Plateau
    Like This ?

Like this but with the small neck pup ?

JJ

Attached Files:

9. blargfromspace

Apr 8, 2010
    Australia
    Here are my G&L's. They're not great photo's but I only have the camera on my phone. I'll list them in order of appearance into my life.

Eight years after my first experience with a G&L in a local shop, I could finally afford one. My first was an ASAT Classic S, 2007 model. It's one of only 12 in this finish - Old School Tobacco Sunburst. It has a forearm and belly contour making it incredibly comfortable. I have given this one a name. It's so damn handsome, a very masculine finish and this name came to me seconds after opening the case for the first time. Ladies and gentlemen, I present Juan Carlos Montoya *applause*

[​IMG]

I custom ordered this next one. Spanish Copper metallic, semi-hollow with no F-hole, #1 neck (big C shape, 12" fretboard radius) and gun oil gloss neck. And locking tuners. Made in November '09. I have found the finish very difficult to photograph and have no in any way done it justice here, but it looks great in full sun or under stage lights!

[​IMG]

And finally, this came in the post this morning. A 1997 ASAT Classic. I didn't need it but had to have it. The body is made from a single piece of ash and is very lightweight, about the same as my semi-hollow! It has fantastic sustain, not that the others don't, but this one is special. The neck is a thinner C and I wish it was fatter, like the others I own, but hell, it sounds great. I'm changing the pickups in this one to Don Mare DonOcasters or hayrides, I haven't quite decided yet.

[​IMG]

The amps in the pics are an Ampeg J-20 reissue and a Ceriatone 5E3 which I have dubbed "The Paisley Deluxe". I might edit this post in the future if I get hold of a better camera!

10. scud133

scud133 Tele-Holic

Dec 29, 2009
    Houston, TX
    whoa, smokin! lets see some more photos of ol' Juan Carlos, plz

11. blargfromspace

Apr 8, 2010
    Australia
    Here you go, Scud. I'm more than happy to show these off. Juan Carlos loves having his photo taken.

[​IMG]

See the forearm contour!
    [​IMG]

See the belly contour!
    [​IMG]

12. GLH1

GLH1 TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2010
    missouri
    Another X-body (NOS)

Love that Leo era stuff

[​IMG]

13. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Ya got that right, scud my man. :D And took John's good natured ribbing all in stride. I'm a Texan, born and bred, and I most definitely do talk Texan! :lol:

I speak other languages, including Spanish, and I learned it so young in life that I have been told by Hispanics that I have no accent. :cool: (Ironic, in that I sure have one when I speak English! :lol: Especially if you get me around kinfolk and certain friends.)

There was a time when we had recently returned to Texas after living for 5 years in San Juan, Puerto Rico that a couple of girls from the booming metropolis of Post, Texas (population 3,700--Salute!) told my older brother and me, and I quote, "Y'all talk funny!" Again, ironic.

14. vox Phantom

vox Phantom Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2010
    Wynantskill NY
    G&L Owner Club

Jammin'John1 my Asat Classic is the same color
    but the neck pickup is smaller. I wish I had some
    pictures because from what I see here there are
    some really good ones.

15. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I think I'm loosing it. I could have sworn that I posted very recently comments about the G&L pup that resembles a P-90, as in the neck pup of the ASAT Classic Custom and the pups on the ASAT Special. And it seems logical to me that I would have posted such comments/questions in this thread, but I don't see it. Wonder where I put that? I'm beginning to wonder if I ever did post it. This is going to drive me batty, and I really need to be getting ready for gigs today. Oh well, sorry for the rambling post. I guess I'll figure it out later.

16. Jammin'John

Mar 20, 2003
    Tug Hill Plateau

Attached Files:

17. sangeetkar

sangeetkar TDPRI Member

I have a 2006 korean made G and L asat semi hollow tribute tele with P 90 pick ups and an f hole. I play this thing all the time. I just love it!I have only had it for about 5 months.

18. sangeetkar

sangeetkar TDPRI Member

what are G an L teles with two humbuckers like? My humbucking yamaha sg 1500 guitar is back breaker. I am wondering about getting a lighter humbucking guitar.

19. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2008
    Way Out There
    I have an ASAT Deluxe semi hollow, it's very light. It also has Schaller locking tuners which do make it slightly neck heavy. It doesn't sound like a Les Paul or a Tele ,it has it's own thing going on. Bridge pickup is a Duncan JB, neck is a G&L, the clean tones from the neck pickup are surprisingly good and the JB is great for rock or heavy blues tones. They both split simultaneously via a mini switch which does give some decent quasi tele sounds.

Pics ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Oct 1, 2008
    WI
    That's a gorgeous top on that guitar! I have an ASAT Deluxe, too, and it's probably posted earlier in the thread.

[​IMG]

Like SouthpawGuy said, it's got it's own thing going on, but it's one of my favorite G&Ls.

Southpaw, I have Schaller locking tuners on this guitar, too, but one thing I did was to swap out the tuner knobs for ebony, and not only do they look kinda nice, they reduced quite a bit of the weight as well.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Knobs/Tuner_knobs/Schaller_Tuner_Buttons.html

21. mikethedigimon

mikethedigimon TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2005
    NH
    Just got this one a couple of days ago:

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.