Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

G&L "GUITARS BY LEO" LOGO APPLIED INCORRECTLY?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by silver slicker, Nov 12, 2017.

1. silver slicker

silver slicker TDPRI Member

Nov 11, 2017
    usa
    THE GUITAR IS A G&L S500 MADE IN U.S.A.
    THE "GUITARS BY LEO LOGO WAS APPLIED WITH A WAVE TO IT, AND AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED, THIS WAS POORLY APPLIED. I'VE LOOKED ALL OVER THE WEB TO FIND SIMILAR PROBLEMS AND HAVE NOT FOUND ONE YET. HAS ANYONE EVER COME ACROSS THIS? THE GUITAR, AS FAR I CAN TELL IS 100% LEGIT, SO WHY WOULD THEY MISS THIS MISTAKE? 20171111_214211.jpg

2. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    Friday afternoon decal.

3. silver slicker

Nov 11, 2017
    usa

4. silver slicker

Nov 11, 2017
    usa
    I don't know why but it's driving me crazy looking at it, and wondering why they would do that?

5. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It could have been a Monday morning decal...:lol:

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Unless the neck has a wave in it too I wouldn't worry about. Plug it in, play it, and stop looking at the dog gone head stock. :p

Ain't no playin' be done up there anyway. ;)

7. silver slicker

Nov 11, 2017
    usa
    Well besides the fact that it drives me crazy, I'm also worried about the resale value in the future, cuz somebody else may think it's a fake when it really isn't it it's just a Friday night mistake. So at least if I knew there was other guitars like this I could prove a point.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Obviously a Chinese knockoff since G&L stands for George & Leo, not guitars by Leo.
    Send it to me and I'll alert the proper authorities.
    Feel better now?

9. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK

10. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Well, you could also prove it's real with the Build Sheet and COA. If you don't have them, you can get them right from G&L with just the serial #.

soulman969 likes this.

11. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Also, I'm pretty sure that nobody has EVER faked a G&L, simply because it's not worth it, since they're not rare, or represent something to turn a quick buck on it by making a fake. And an S500 is even less likely to be faked (IMHO) since it's not one of the "big 2" (ASAT and Legacy).

Anybody ever seen a fake G&L?

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Don't know...if it's a good fake, how would you catch it?

13. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    You can easily spot fakes by the unlined truss rod hole.

Oh wait that's fake Fenders!

In all honesty I've been thinking of putting Tokai decals on a couple of Allparts necks, because I like them and it would be obvious that they aren't real Tokais.
    Nobody fakes Tokai copies of Fenders, right?

Sorry, I'm no help here.
    Get that COA from G&L!

nojazzhere likes this.

14. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Well, the bad ones say G&M...

Catawompus and nojazzhere like this.

15. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Is that like a double negative where a fake of a fake Fender becomes a REAL Fender?

nojazzhere and telemnemonics like this.

16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Or they say "L&M".....(you might need to be a former smoker to get that!)

17. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Do the REALLY bad ones say S&M?

nojazzhere likes this.

18. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Crooked logos lead to stuck caps lock keys as well as hearing loss.

19. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Don't be thinking (after four posts) that we don't care!
    Many of us are weary of all the fakes out there, including new members who join to find out if they just got a really good deal on what turns out to be yet another fake.
    I have no reason to think your guitar is a fake but also no reason to think it isn't based on the partial pic of the headstock. Looks nice!

We are like Civil War soldiers looking at bodies.
    There are so damn many that we just have to keep marching on.
    Overly dramatic?
    Yeah probably but I do personally find it disheartening, all the buyers that get ripped off, the time wasted shopping for gear and needing to scrutinize details, and the general need for distrust that comes from it.

So yeah, your wavy logo is a bummer.

nojazzhere likes this.

20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I guess a LITTLE part of me is unconcerned about people being scammed by fakes....fakes of many kinds....art, antiques, collectibles, etc. Things are no longer valued for their intrinsic value, but for their perceived value....in other words, a painting is not expensive because it is a beautiful painting, but because it is a painting by van Gogh, or Jackson Pollack, or whoever. A beautiful glass vase is worth thousands more simply because it is Tiffany, and not Mertz. A Stratocaster made in 1959 is valued at $100,000 (or whatever) just because, and a 2017 custom built, exactly the same specs, Strat is a couple thousand. I really am sorry when someone buys what they think is an American made Tele, and it turns out to be a MIJ Squier, but is it a good guitar or not? It does make a difference to me if a young intermediate guitarist gets cheated, versus a millionaire collector gets scammed by another millionaire con artist. Bottom line is.....I don't care if a decal is crooked or not....how does the instrument play and sound?????

Catawompus likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.