Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

G&L ASAT Special - American or Tribute?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by mdrake34, Jun 22, 2012.

1. telebone

telebone TDPRI Member

Nov 26, 2009
    fountain, florida
    Huckdeuceman , Noted that USA specials have chrome plated brass bridges, while tributes have chrome plated zinc or pot metal. I believe USA models have chrome plated brass saddles only. I think the bridge is pot metal on both models and made in the same factory in Hong Kong. I also understand that Leo Fender used pot metal for the entire bridge and saddle unit on the asat special and the chrome plated brass saddles started around 2006. Are we sure chrome plated brass saddles are an improvement ?

2. yelemusic

yelemusic TDPRI Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Brought a Asat tribute bluesboy a while ago, the One in Orange! When I first saw it @ musikmesse Frankfurt I instantly fell in love, cos it's a thing af beauty! One fret was a wee bit to high, which was fixed easily, but apart from that it was perfect right out of the box! I'd definitely by another one, if this one got stolen!
    I have no idea how it compares to USA models, as I've never played one, but I'm not a friend of the whole comparing it to the classics thing! This Tribute is a wickid guitar in its own right!

3. TNcaveman

TNcaveman TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I have a Tribute Legacy (Korea - I think) that is about 8 years old. I have replaced the nut, pickups (Dimarzio noiseless), pots (CTS), and had a great set up done. The guitar is pretty good and is my go to if I have to play outside, since it's "dipped in plastic". But the bridge finish is not holding up, the whammy collar is loose (got to check on that), and I have discovered jumbo stainless frets. It's a good guitar, but hindsight says I wish I had found a good used one. But this was before Craigslist. Luckily, it's almost worth what I paid because of inflation. A good used one would be a killer beginner to intermediate guitar.

Stephen

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.