Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

G&L Anyone have Experience with a ASAT Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Kerberos, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    I'm looking for a Thinline type guitar with Rosewood Fretboard, and not a Flatter Radius like I've seen on Fenders. I came across this G&L curious if anyone has played one, and their thoughts on it? Quality, Sound, etc....Thanks..

TMMC likes this.

2. dalto

dalto TDPRI Member

Mar 11, 2017
    Texas
    I don't have a Blueboy but I have 4 different G&L ASAT guitars and all are great, especially for the money.

That being said, USA G&Ls are mostly made to order so specs will vary greatly. From thin necks to baseball bats and vintage radius to much flatter all are available. If you are buying an existing guitar make sure you know what you are getting from a specs perspective.

Jupiter and TMMC like this.

3. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    Yes, I had one for a while and traded it for a bigger Gretsch. I sometimes regret it because it was actually a pretty awesome guitar. Great build quality, the sound was really nice but could have used some standard upgrades. It's worth buying, in my opinion.

4. Dean James

Dean James Tele-Meister

May 13, 2016
    Podunk, New England
    I have a G&L Tribute ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow Bluesboy. Long name. Blonde Ash body, Maple neck, Rosewood fretboad, Tortoise pickguard.

I love it. Although only a humble import, it's very well put together & sounds great. Very resonant, with a growl around the fifth fret. The only thing I'd change, maybe, would be to install a Seth Lover in the humbucker spot.

5. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Thanks for the great advice!!

6. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Sounds good...Can you get a mellow, jazzy, bluesy tone out of it? I need something lighter than my Jazzmaster, that can be mellow, but also kick it up. I had a Thinline Squier, loved the tone, but the neck didn't like my hands...I'm an old timer, arthritis and all...

7. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Thanks...and you know what...I regret getting rid of any instruments and associated musical components I've owned in my life...Deluxe Reverb, Hagstrom III, Bandmaster, Roland JC-120, USA Strat, Squier Thinline, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Gretsch 6120...The list goes on...

TMMC likes this.

8. Dean James

Dean James Tele-Meister

May 13, 2016
    Podunk, New England
    I would say so. Of course, such things are subjective & depend on everything else. And I've only had mine a few months.

It has a distinct, resonant character which it lends to such styles as it's played in. The pickups don't sound like Teles. The bridge is bigger & louder, less trebly. The neck blends very well with the bridge. I vacillate between mostly liking the neck by itself & occasionally thinking it maybe sounds a little pale. I'd possibly change to Seth Lover as I have two already which I like; also they were, maybe still are, offered as an option on USA G&Ls.

Upon receipt, I nail–filed some rough edges inside the f–hole, vacuumed the inside, adjusted the bridge slightly. Haven't had it set up yet. It's comfortable to play, weighs 6.8 pounds. I'm just a bit behind you in the fingers. I like the neck, which reviews say is on the round, clubby side. More to hold onto & fill the hand, I guess.

It came with D'Addario 10–gauge strings, which are what I would have on it. It could hold a tuning better. I'm told this is the price for the wonderfulness of the brass barrel saddles, even though I have twice the traditional number. Not a big deal. Here are some examples. I'm pretty sure they're all Tribute Series, although not all mention it:

Lots of solid Bluesboys, & solid & semi–hollow regular ASAT samples out there, too, not to mention the Special series, S–types, etc. I like G&Ls.

9. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    I can't thank you enough, this is fantastic information! I'm on the same page as you with strings. I would use D'Addario 10's, I like the half rounds. I think I'll give one a go, the price is certainly right. Take Care...and keep enjoying that Bluesboy

10. AlabamaOutlaw

AlabamaOutlaw Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Ive got one of the burst semi hollow blues boy. Modern C Shape 9.5 radius 1 5/8 nut. Amazing guitar

11. Xingshen71

Xingshen71 TDPRI Member

Dec 4, 2014
    AZ
    I've played both Tribute and US made ASAT Bluesboy Semi Hollows. After a good setup they both play and sound really good. The Tribute import models are really a great value. The US models are nice in the fact that you spec it out to your preferences ( more or less ) but your going to pay for it. I still have a US made Blues Boy Semi Hollow that I custom ordered and although it is a very well made and great playing/sounding guitar does not reflect the price point compared to the Tributes.

My G&l's:

IMG_20160825_175407.jpg
    TI-AJ2-130R44R23-1200.jpg

zippofan likes this.

12. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    appreciate the input, makes my decision easier..

13. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Great info! Beautiful guitars. I'll dig a little deeper on the American Made...Thank you

14. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I love my G&L Tribute Bluesboy, but I just couldn't quite get on with the bridge so I replaced it with a Fender plate and CJ Tooling saddles. I love it more than did before. I like to tinker so it was probably inevitable that a three saddle bridge ended up there :D

ASATcjtooling bridge.jpg

15. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2014
    Piute County, Utah
    Play the heck out of mine. Had it for 3 years! LOVE IT! G and L Tele 2.jpg

16. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    That's a beauty....I'm seeing a lot of love for these G&L's...Thanks for your input

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The key element in the Bluesboy is getting the right pickups and the right switching so the powerful pickup in that favored "neck position" node doesn't blow the bridge pickup off the map. You know, one HUGELY loud and the other whisper quiet. The USA models (semi hollow or solid) seem to get this right but watch out for USA G + L (from about 2007?) that were shipped with a G + L neck humbucker - it doesn't IMO cut the mustard. Make sure there's a Seth Lover in that spot.

Now, as for Semi-Hollow versus solid. I can feel some differences in balance, but whether with an F-Hole or without, I can't honestly "detect" one or the other by listening to one then the other - played by me or played by a friend of mine or two. The difference is just too subtle for me to say "Oh, I hear that!". I'm not sure I do hear it.

Lefty Addams likes this.

18. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    And not a '59? I am currently having difficulty deciding on the two! lol

19. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, G&L doesn't make it easy to decide!

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.