Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

fuzz

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by stevemc, Aug 8, 2018.

1. stevemc

stevemc TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2018
    cape cod
    i have a nano big muff and am looking for suggestions for some different flavors of fuzz.thamks in advance!

2. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
    Try with a Fuzz plus octavia , danelectro french toast or movall octopuzz, those are two very inexpensive but good pedals, based on foox tone machine

stevemc likes this.

3. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    ABANDON ALL HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE

Fuzz addiction is real, and it affects thousands of guitarists a year. It always starts just like you're doing now- you try a little Big Muff, no big deal at first... but then you figure you want to try something else. So you score a Fuzz Face, maybe a Tonebender, and by then it's gotten its hooks in you and you're a full-blown addict. In extreme cases, you'll actually start building your own fuzz circuits.

My name is Beyer 160 and I'm a fuzz addict- I have at least a dozen different ones stashed around my house, and I usually have at least one in my car and one at my place of business. My wife wouldn't be able to tell the difference between any of them, but I can hear the subtle seductive differences between three transistor and two transistor circuits. Oh yes, I can. I suffer happily.

In all seriousness, the Dunlop mini Fuzz Faces are excellent pedals for cheap. The blue silicon one is probably the most user friendly, germanium is a little fussy and requires some finesse to coax the magic out of. The DOD Carcosa is another cool, inexpensive box that gives you a bunch of tonal options.

4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Cheap fuzz?, nasty fuzz?, altercation in a shipping container fuzz?

Rowin LEF-606 <- a fine pedal indeed. Soft to splatty. Mud to plaque removal.
    Tomsline G-Fuzz <- bit of a surprise.
    Aroma Germanium fuzz <- see above
    Behringer VT911 <- not technically a fuzz, but an overdrive pedal that is so poor, it's instant Asheton. Stooges in a box.
    Voodoo Octave <- under various names, including Joyo. Fuzz!. Octave up!. Noize!. Yeah!

You may be thought of as an acolyte of J.White, but smeg it. Much fun for little coin can be had with fuzz.

Work out what you want, then buy four pedals anyway.

stevemc likes this.

5. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    You might like the Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz. It's a clone of the Univox Superfuzz by way of the Boss FZ2. It's just the thing if you're into drugs, devil worship, and cannibalism (or if you just want to sound like you are). And it's only $25!

6. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Try a germanium fuzz face type, and a fuzzrite style.

7. beninma

beninma Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I have a nano op-amp big muff at the moment. Tried a Way Huge Swollen Pickle a while back and I didn't like it that much.

What I am noticing is there sure are a lot of things you can monkey around with that change how fuzz pedals respond.

I recently learned a lot of Gary Clark Jr's version of "If Trouble was Money". One thing I notice he seems to be able to do is get the single notes to sound almost clean and then he hits a double stop or a chord and it's way fuzzy.

I've been trying to figure out how the heck to make that happen. Maybe it has to do with having some drive on the amp already with not as much fuzz, maybe it's the volume knob. I'm wondering if he's adjusting his guitar volume right in the middle of the riffs.

Note I can make this happen just fine just playing straight into my amp.. but with Fuzz... it seems harder. The Big Muff starts monkeying with all your notes no matter what, or adding ridiculous sustain, etc.. pretty quickly.

I got to try the Orange Fur coat once, that one is quite nice and somewhat appealing to me. I wouldn't get one to try out for myself though unless I sell some other pedals.

8. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2013
    Seattle
    I've been using a Way Huge Swollen Pickle. I got it to use in just one song that needed a Spaghetti Western Showdown sound, but have begun to use it for general dirt. I can dial in a smooth breakup which has a broader spectrum than a tube screamer.

9. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 24, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Green Russian RI is my favorite. Cheap and available everywhere with a wide range of tones

10. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Try a Fuzz Face - silicon, as has been said, is easier to 'point and press', but germanium fuzzes do have their own character.

The Tonebender Mk2 is also well worth checking out - more gain, and more top end than the classic Fuzz Face circuit.

11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    What was the nature of this surprise?

12. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    The surprise was it is actually quite a good fuzz pedal with a sound of its own.
    I wanted a cheap, trashy sound and it can do that, but it can, with careful setting and a roll off of the guitar volume, produce a rich, velvet fuzz.

I like it when things exceed my expectations. I expected cheap shi7 and got something cheap shinola.

bgmacaw likes this.

13. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018

14. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Very BigMuff-ish. Sustained notes for days. Haven’t cranked through the big guns yet.

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    just got this one, and haven't had the chance to try it out yet

16. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Meister

May 20, 2018
    Arcata
    Nano Muff is a gateway pedal ;)

17. rasm0225

rasm0225 TDPRI Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Saint Paul
    I just got the JHS Pollinator v1. I really like it. I has a bias knob so it can sound nice and velcro-y.

18. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Meister

May 20, 2018
    Arcata
    Oh yeah, what ever you do stay off of Zvex's mailing list

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.