Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

future Squier value

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by unobasso, Jul 1, 2017.

1. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    "I know mods are 100% ymmv but any best guesses on which one, if either, will appreciate more in value if left as-is?"
    Both are better left unmolested.
    Every opinion is different.
    Any guitar is worth less when modded.
    Any for sale listing claiming 'upgrades' is suspect.
    Put a bigelsby on a Squier Telecaster? Please dont.
    If you are that bored take up stamp collecting.

2. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    I'd say the older of the two has more chance of going up in value if it's in good nick but as many have alluded to you're unlikely to gain much on either.

I actually managed to sell a P Bass for a profit about a year ago BUT it was in perfect (and I do mean perfect) condition. The new RRP prices had increased by ~£100 from when I bought and I got mine from somewhere struggling to get shot of them before new stock arrived. I paid £117 delivered and sold for £145 though so only £28 profit..

I don't think the advice would be wildly different but these would be the best guys to ask.

3. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    I wonder if they do this out of pride or to keep the price from going up.

I say wear your Squier flag proudly. Tell the world you play a Squier by choice not because your mom bought this guitar for your birthday. Ok, the birthday thing is ok...if your 13, but for the adults here, people will respect the guitar because of how you play it, and not respect you because of how the guitar plays you. Ok, i dont know if that really means anything.

4. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Sounds stupid....how can this be any cheaper than buying a rather cheap Fender......most of them are excellent and quite cheap

lfmn16 likes this.

5. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    That's not really true if you're talking like for like i.e. new vs new or used vs used.

Cheapest Fender I know of new is ~£450 for the Chinese P90 loaded semi Tele. Roughly equivalent to the wide rage loaded VM Squiers maybe which are about £100 cheaper. That's ~25% cheaper. If you look at the Standard Fender Tele that'll be ~£500, the Standard Squier is about half that at £250.

If you're happy to stump up the difference I'll take £350 off your hands for the difference between a Bullet Squier Mustang vs the Mexican Equivalent ;):)

6. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    It was said that they used techs to find Squiers and then work on them........I assume these people get paid for their time .....

7. 9fears08

9fears08 Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    I'm assuming I got the wrong end of the stick but I'm not quite sure how..either way apologies if that's the case..guess I won't be getting my Mexican Mustang :)

8. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    No sweat really...... Im fine with my CV Squiers
    I wouldnt dream of changing the logos.....
    Im old enough to have owned several of the JV Squiers from the 80's , these certainly have gone up in price. I rate the CVs as at least as good .....

Grux likes this.

9. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    First and foremost, Squiers are for playing... and modding to taste. Better than screwing up a high-dollar Fender for most of us. That said, like the japanese Squiers that are now appreciating, i believe certain well-preserved Squiers will appreciate once they're no longer available. Current candidates? Classic Vibes and the J Mascis Jazzmaster... but, we'll see...

9fears08 likes this.

10. lfmn16

lfmn16 TDPRI Member

Jun 23, 2017
    Charles Town, WV
    Sounds like a fairy tale to me.

11. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    Some guitars way better and more highly regarded than squiers barely bring $4-500 on a good day. 1970s ibanez artists for example. Endorsed by bob wier and steve miller back in the day. Set neck, gibson level quality. Now worth less than a higher end CV squier that is a bolt on with various mystery woods. Dont get me wrong . I love my squier tele. I just dont see any chance that they go up in value any more than any other workmans tool. The $5 hammer you bought 10 years ago is worth about $2.50 at the thrift store.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.