Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

future Squier value

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by unobasso, Jul 1, 2017.

1. unobasso

unobasso TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2011
    kitchener
    I have two Squier teles - a Korean from 1987/88 (s/n E1 in silver ink) and Classic Vibe from 2014.

I'm hankering to mod one of them with a bigsby, put a Kay speedbump p/u in the neck, probably add a 4 way switch, etc...

I know mods are 100% ymmv but any best guesses on which one, if either, will appreciate more in value if left as-is?

2. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    My honest opinion ... Squiers will not appreciate in value. They represent the democratization of guitars, and while some models have become outstanding instruments, they won't attract the elite collector crowd that seek out vintage Fenders for collecting and proudly playing. They are designed as modular instruments, and should be enjoyed, played, and modified as you see fit - not as investments.

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Agree with Tuscon. Unless it's a Japanese Squier from the '80s, they're probably not going to appreciate significantly. It's Fender's bargain brand, like Epiphone, Applause, Sigma, etc. '80s Epiphones are worth about the same thing today as they were 30 years ago.

Out of the two you've got, I'd modify the one that probably needs modifications (the Korean) and leave the CV alone.

AAT65 and GGardner like this.

4. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Meister

Nov 26, 2005
    Very few mods will earn their money back even on prime instruments. So expect that whatever you do will be strictly for your own enjoyment/education/experimentation etc. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, that's how you make your guitar - YOUR guitar. So, what the other guys said...do that.

GGardner and soulman969 like this.

5. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    None.

I have a Korean strat from the same years. Good guitar. The neck and fretboard are nice and well crafted and still good after all this time. There is no love for these guitars, but they somehow hold their resale value: low . But not ridiculously low because they have a user value, not a collector value.

I'd say there is 1% chances for the Korean to become a collector during your lifetime, just because it is the older guitar of the two, and 0% for the CV.

Electronics mods (pots, pickups) are very common, no problem with that. They will not increase the value either.

A bigsby means holes in the body, and that would be a problem for me.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    About the only factor that may raise the used value of a Squier is the increases in the price of new one and even that is market dependent. They aren't rare and in all likelihood never will be in our lifetimes. So do as you will to make them yours.

7. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 7, 2015
    Florida
    I think that if teenagers have Squiers now, in about 40-45 years some of them will be bought again as nostalgia items. But they aren't investments.

8. corliss1

corliss1 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    I never base mods/improvements on my *current* gear on what I think it's gonna be worth. It's mine, and I have to make it do what I want. If you have something already vintage that's a different story, but either of the models you mention aren't going to be on collector's short list.

wabashslim likes this.

9. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Meister

Nov 26, 2005
    UNLESS some future young Guitar god of SRV stature uses one and then Squiers will be going for $1800....more if the signature model include near exact gouges, burns, and questionable sticky spots as the "artist's" personal model - then it'll be closer to $3200.
    Lucky for us the days of guitar gods are over, probably forever. I'm looking at YOU, Jack White...

Grux and soulman969 like this.

10. blackspider57

blackspider57 TDPRI Member

Mar 10, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    If you own it, play it and enjoy it
    it's priceless :)

tintag27 likes this.

11. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    The problem getting squiers to go up in value is that the WORLD is full of them and as of this minute china, indo and wherever is still bolting them together and sending out shipping containers full of them to everywhere that people buy and sell stuff. Not to mention all the other T-types of other brands. G&L has a better chance of higher resale than squier because of more rarity and a perception of tighter QC. Maybe im wrong but i dont even see that 10 year old MIMs have gone up in value.

12. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2012
    UTOPIA
    I have an ovation Celebrity deep bowl cutaway electric and a Kramer Strat type, both Korean, both were bought used a few years old, both are in hard shell cases I bought separate, both are in great shape and play well, after thirty years both are worth close to 30% of what I paid in the late 80s, plus they would have to be a private sale because no music store even want's to look at them for a consignment sale, they would compete with their new Asian guitars that have a bigger profit margin, if I would have sold them in the early 90s I may have got 75% , but I had fun with them, so I'm not really out much, my 1994 American Fender 57 reissue is worth easy twice what I have into it and it was only a couple hundred more than the Celebrity.

13. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2008
    SEA
    Heck, I mod my Pro Tone it practically has become a partcaster although I know the price of this series increases and people would grab it soon when they see one for sale. Leave the CV alone (or just replace the pickups when you need other flavor).

tintag27 likes this.

14. JCW1024

JCW1024 Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2010
    Richmond, Virginia
    Society will have to be destroyed and rebuilt before used Squiers are worth more than what new ones go for now.

15. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    squiers are a player's guitar, and at that level they're unbeatable. they're for working and gigging with, not collecting, or showing off, or bragging about, or impressing chicks with. they are the guitar that after the show some dude comes up and says 'you sounded great' and then gets horrified when he sees it's a squier with upgraded pots, bridge, pickups, tuners, whatever.

some people just don't get squiers, but if you get the utilitarianism of a tele, then you get what a good squier could and should be.

hellopike and Grux like this.

16. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I've had plenty of guitars retain their value (I've got pretty much what I paid for them several years earlier), and I've had guitars lose their value. Rarely have I had a guitar appreciate in value (except for two different older Ibanez RGs that I made a couple of hundred bucks off of each). I wouldn't say they appreciated in value... I just made more selling them than what I paid for them. But I'm not the type of guy who purchases guitars as an investment. I purchase them to play. I can't recall ever contemplating what resale value would be years down the road before I purchased a guitar. I just don't consider it and assume if it is ever sold I'm probably gonna lose money on it so I better like it and get my money's worth!

17. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 16, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    If your buying Squier's for an investment your buying them for the wrong reasons.

18. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Wouldn't worry about it with a few exceptions( early high spec JV's..) even "collectable" Squier's like later MIJ and Protone rarely sell for more than a $300, people may ASK more...and occasionally get it but..you know. Everything they make now is produced in huge runs and widely distributed, I can't see them ever being with more than...oh $300

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017

19. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    As to which one, if either, will appreciate in value more, the great amount of wisdom I've gained with over 50 years of playing, buying, and selling guitars has let me to conclude that....
    I don't know.:cool:

CK Dexter Haven likes this.

20. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

I know musicians who have their techs source cheap Squiers that sound good, put Fender logos on the headstock, rewire them and use those when out on tour...what does that tell you?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.