Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Funcaster

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Tomasi, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Thanks!

All that was used was tru oil, linseed based artist oil colors (some dry pigments too), linseed oil based drying accelerator (Adding color lengthen drying time) and mineral spirits to thin if needed. And naturally different grades of sanding paper. And yes, the videos I linked at the first page give a pretty good overview of the technique.

It depends on the wood quite a bit how much you can emphasize the grain. Body on "Yvette" is swamp ash, so it's very porous even when sanded really smooth before coloring. The color get's trapped in the pores when you sand again and pops the grain really visible. If you have a maple neck, it probably does not get that look as it's very dense without too much pores. Except if it's figured somehow, like flame maple.

I definitely want to help any way I can, so if you have any questions just shoot! I've had so much great info on this forum that if I can give anything back I'm really happy to do so.

Incidentally I'm just starting a new build today and I'm going to color the neck too. Let's see how that goes. :p Just got the body and neck. I'll start sanding in two hours. The next one is going to be called Red Hot. Guess what color it's going to be...:rolleyes:

Maybe I should start a new discussion on that?

2. jonallen356

jonallen356 TDPRI Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm going to guess... the color "hot."

I am trying to get the neck to match closely to the rosewood pickguard I am putting on a black tele. I know I won't get it to match perfectly because of the different grain patterns, but I want the tones to get as close as possible.

The grain in rosewood is obviously really dark, almost black. My goal is to figure out how to get the grain in the maple that dark, but also bring out nice amber highlights like the rosewood. It's going to be tricky, so I will have to do some test pieces before I hit the real thing.

Thanks for your help!

3. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Ferrari Red, right to the Finnish line!

4. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Check out my new thread, http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/613705-red-hot-tele.html#post6806410 As you hopefully can see on the second pic collage, on the back of the neck, I sanded the sanding sealer out carefully and mixed black oil color to tru oil and thinned it with mineral spirits. I definitely got very pronounced grain there. I had some trouble with the original sanding sealer that had sucked in more in other places and less in others, it got splotchy, but re-sanding and dying fixed it quite nicely. So it might be quite possible to mimic rosewood.

5. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Let's see if it ends up to be exactly the official color. :lol: Then again the Ferrari red has changed some during times from more orangey to more subdued to current fire truck red. But definitely a intense red it's going to be. I have some tricks or maybe some would say jokes up to my sleeve to keep it interesting, but I'm not going to tell just yet. :cool:

6. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    Macclesfield, UK
    What a stunning guitar - outstanding design and build!

7. dtermined2play

dtermined2play Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2007
    Spartanburg,S.C.
    That is crazy cool. I love it.

8. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Thanks for your kind words!

After I've played this quite a lot I've noticed I really like the middle pickup. It's funny, I've never used the middle in any of my strats at all. Go figure...

9. PaulieBoy

PaulieBoy Former Member

Mar 28, 2016
    gone
    Play it in good health! SWEET.jpg

10. TrenchyLS

TrenchyLS NEW MEMBER!

May 13, 2016
    Licoln
    Hi. Love this guitar, first saw it on the HERE on the Guitarbuild website.

Would you mind going into a little more detail about what you used for the silver effect, and how you applied it please?

Thanks

11. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Thanks!

It's nothing more fancy than pure silver powder artist pigment mixed in to colors and tru oil in layers. There are lots of layers with different amounts of silver mixed in different shades of red. So when I sanded it after every few layers I ended up with quite interesting and lively effect. The wood grain shines and sparkles differently depending the angle of the light. Some angle it does not show that much and other angle it really pops. And as the shade differs on the layers it metallic effect varies in color. All is different mixes of two red hues and black so it's always a red hue. It would be interesting to try different colors, would it blend into ugly mess or glitter in rainbow colors? Hmmm... It took some time and elbow grease, but I'm quite pleased with the result. I had no idea would this work, haven't seen another one made like this. Luckily it did. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.