Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Funcaster

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Tomasi, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I've got a few lipstick guitars; a Reverend Spy, (really light/Dano-like build), with Armstrong's & a Jackson Surfcaster. The GFS have long been on my radar. In terms of impedance, which combo of lipsticks did you get, sounds like you went with a really hot bridge...I'm looking for a tamer set?

2. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Kimicaster...

Attached Files:

3. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Lucky you, I'd really like to get my hands on a Surfcaster for sure! That was one of my inspiration for this build.

The pups I got are pro tube neck, middle and tele-bridge, so 4.9K, 6K and 8K. I was kind of a suspicious about the bridge being 8K, but it was the only fairly cheap one I could find that fits tele bridge. Luckily for some reason it does not feel so overly hot I feared it would feel as I'm not a big fan of very overwound pickups. I like to have as much dynamics as possible. So I don't know what gives, but the bridge is quite nice in my opinion.

4. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    :lol:

5. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I like what you're saying about the pickups...I'm exclusively, a fingerstyle player & appreciate touch sensitive, dynamic pickups, preferring a relatively clean tone. I like to hear what a guitar sounds like, naturally...strangely, I actually like the sound of a resonant, electric guitar, unplugged. This is why I like chambered, semi & hollowbodied guitars...hence my moniker, ThinLion, (thinline).
    Poking around the net, I found that shot of Kimi playing guitar...couldn't resist doctoring it up.

This is my Reverend Spy...it's got a metal top & back, in a "bugeye" finish...really cool under stage lighting, super light & resonant! The beauty of Joe Naylor's original, USA made models, was the full interchangeability with other loaded pickguards, rendering an entirely different guitar!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016

6. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland

7. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    Your guitar looks fantastic in all respects. The finish looks great and I really like where you put the faux binding. Great color combo too. I suck at traditional finishes, I might give this a try.

8. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Thanks! The faux binding is a thin chrome trim with adhesive backing meant for cars. I figured if it can take car wash machine it can take my playing too. Let's see. Only hard part was getting it bent sideways on arm contour. Wasn't too flexible that way. All my guitars except one is predominantly red. I probably need to fix my "black sheep" in near future. ;)

Going with tru oil has the benefit of being somewhat foolproof method even for novice like me in my experience. While you're spreading the stuff with color mixed in or not there's a quite a long window for adjusting the result. Just take a new rag with mineral spirits to remove the stuff while it's still still wet if you're not happy where it's heading. Only thing is that you can't be hasty and filling the grain on swamp ash takes a lot of layers if you're after perfectly smooth finish. At least for me the time it takes to get it done is just a good thing. Quality time to get my mind off from job related things and refresh my mind. What are you waiting for, go for it!:D

9. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Being so impressed with your finished result, I didn't realize you used dyed tru oil! I prefer them cuz I like to see & feel wood grain, it's easier to apply, less expensive & as your example proves, looks incredible! A thinner finish also allows the guitar to breath, adding more resonance. Using an outside the box idea like the car trim, was very hip & creative, complementing your automotive theme...bravo, I'm inspired!! I can see a Fiesta Red thinline on the near horizon. I might try a set of 3 G&L Z coils, being reasonably priced on their website or some GFS Goldfoils? I've got 3 friends who're professional luthiers, if any issues occur. I've also been planning a Johnny Winter Tribute Firebird, (with a few twists!).

10. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    Congratulations, I would have guessed that you've been doing this for ages not a first attempt, most impressive.
    My Surfcaster 12 string has lipstick pickups, it sounds so much better than the Burns Double Six I have or the Rickenbackers I have tried. Sadly it shares narrow neck dimensions with Rickenbackers and I struggle to play it so the Burns gets taken out instead.
    But your post has inspired me, not to finish a guitar body, but to fit my next partscaster with Lipstick pickups, thanks.

Attached Files:

11. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Yesh, the ricky neck... I really love the sound and looks of the Rickenbackers and a local excellent guitar shoppe kitarapaja.com has typically a nice selection of those to try. I've been hanging there and playing those up to their probable annoyance, but could not get used to the string spacing. Feels weird, like you could not play at all missing the strings all the time. I'm not that picky for example to neck profile or fret height (Preferring vintage frets though) so I'm sure I would get used to it if I play just the Ricky. But my approach is to have several different kind of guitars for different uses as the guitar tends to inspire me to play in different way.

So to get a Rickenbacker to have compatible feel with my other guitars I would have to change the nut but also alter the bridge and then the pickups as the pole pieces would not align anymore. It would be a pity get a Rickenbacker and butcher it to something else.

So I got a cheaper alternative that has similar features and butchered that to more Rickenbackery direction by changing pickups and electronics, doing a new pickguard and headstock plate etc. Electronics are a sort of testbed of ideas, two volumes and tones with treble bleeds, push pulls for individual series/parallel switching per pick up and push pull to reverse the phase on other pick up. Lots of different sounds available, but quite complicated to use.:p That was also the reason to keep Yvette fairly simple. And by the way there's a 12 string model of this too...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016

12. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I've had my eye on those Italia models for some time...having several 12's, the cramped neck deal can be brutal.I really like the Ricky-retro, hollowness of it all! Almost bought one, a few years back & prefer the burst model.

13. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    At least mine presents nice workmanship and has a good playability. Tuning stability is almost as good as my well played '74 Les Paul Custom that has an eerie feature of being in perfectly tune coming from it's case in any weather. I think it's neck has settled enough already. Rimini comes as a close second. It was nice as it was, but the new pups and visual adjustments made it even better. Wasn't a big fan of the original pickguard.

14. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I also prefer your pickguard mod...are those mini-humbuckers like your Paul? My buddy had a '78 Les Paul Custom, with a funky, blonde finish...cool, different, for a Gibson.

15. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    They are some toaster style mini humbuckers I got from eBay. Might have been by Artec. Really jangly. My les is all original and has it's original t-tops. Exactly the same year and model as Randy Rhoads had. Just nicer color, naturally red. Is there any other color. :cool:
    [​IMG]

16. Frank'n'censed

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Beautiful 'Paul...always liked that plush, purple, bordello lining. My buddy's '78's a goldtop & not blonde, I'm only into my 1st coffee, it's PST, 'round here. It wasn't a coincidence I chose red for my Kimi portrait. Speaking of red, here's one of mine, a real rare, 1 of 10, early alder, Reverend Flatroc;

Attached Files:

17. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    The furry white one is also kind of kinky lining.

The outside of this case looks like it has been dragged behind a car thru few states. The guitar is in excellent shape though, even the frets. I wonder if I'm ever able to get similar new ones when I wear them out. They are the old super low "Fretless wonder" kind. As I like small vintage fret I really love these. They practically play themselves. It's so easy to slide complete chords over the fretboard just effortlessly. Many don't like these at all though.

18. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2008
    Saint Paul
    That headstock - love, love, LOVE!

The whole guitar is brilliant but that headstock seals the deal for me. Bravo! :D

19. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2014
    Piute County, Utah
    Loving all info and posts here. I am waiting on parts to build a "Mooncaster". It's not for me. It will be for a Family member in Colorado.

Attached Files:

20. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Glad you like it!

I thought it would be fun to present the traditional strat headstock looking a bit different without changing it's actual shape. I ponder visual compositions and such a things as my day job, so it's kind of a visual analogy to word play for me.

My idea was to create two more shapes in addition to white curve in the middle from the negative space it leaves around itself along with the being a reference 'vette. It shows that the original design is quite graceful for allowing the side with the tuning machines to form a nice continuity from the neck to the round part at the end and the other half a nice balancing winglet. It would be cool if someone savvy with a router would create the shapes carved as steps in a headstock. I'd like to see that! (Or make me such a neck):rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.