Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Funcaster

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Tomasi, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Hi!

I've been lurking for a while here with amazement for all the great info and projects to be seen here. Thanks!

Here's my humble first try for building something more that just an assembly job. As a guy living in a flat in a city without extensive set of tool or place to use them, I've been a put off to try something involving doing a finish for a guitar. I found some info about using try-oil here and finally decided to have a try. Had really fun and quite happy with a result for a noob I am. I hope I can push someone else over the edge to do the same. Pics are not that great, iPhone struggles as it's quite dark here up north at this time of the year.

Here it goes, Funcaster called "Yvette"

To be honest I really didn’t need another guitar, but tinkering with one is so fun to resist. I just had to build something. I have earlier experience of building a partscaster tele and modifying an Italia Guitars Rimini, but I have no earlier experience in painting and finishing except building scale models as a youngster.

The beautiful shape of the Roadhouse Guitars barn red Jazzcaster caught my eye and I thought that roadworn look is something one could achieve with resources available for someone living in city flat. So that’s where the idea of telemaster originally came from. For the sound I was still looking for even better bright and twangy single coil funk stab sound despite having a tele and a strat. Hmm, what if I used lipstick pick ups? Never had those. And three of them to get those quacky strat 2 and 4 positions. But I started to think that funk does not go that well with barn aesthetics to begin with. Everybody from James brown to Bootsy Collins has quite a bit more flare… :cool:

One could buy a finished body from someone like Warmoth, but there’s not enough fun building time I wanted. I continued to search for finishing method without a need for painting booth and spray equipment. I found interesting info here and videos about mixing tru oil with artist oil colors: (Note, this is not my guitar on the video despite being red too) And saw also some great examples of mirror like finish possible with tru oil. Maybe I could do that… Or even try to get something weird, if one mixes silver pigment in thru out the process it might get some of that candy apple red feeling to it…

Early fifties clean design of telecaster, swooping lines of Jazzmaster combined with candy apple red made me thinking of cars, especially 57’ Corvette as an inspiration. Thats it! I started thinking and refining design in Photoshop. Two color body, red top and black back. I contacted Guitarbuild.co.uk about price for custom routing. Price was very reasonable. I decided to pull the trigger! What I got was excellent and swift service, quick delivery and a body with beautiful workmanship.
    [​IMG]
    Time to start building! While sanding, I also started ordering other parts. Mostly usual stuff, except the cool Texas Custom bridge to fit the desired fifties automotive aesthetics. Waiting for the parts started to grow long as there was a postal strike in Finland in November. Then again I was in no hurry as the selected finishing method was guaranteed to be a long process.

I started sanding with 320 couple of times. Then 600. And again. First darker colors and silver pigment to the grain. Then filling them with true or sanding slurry. Had some errors I managed to fix, sand thrus etc. The dyed Tru Oil layers are very thin. I learned that don’t use the same rubber gloves twice if you use silver pigments. It flakes off from the gloves when dried and gets stuck on the next layer. I also learned that lot’s of layers is needed to get an even finish. And drying time for alizarin crimson hue is much longer than any other color.

Gradually getting smoother and smoother and final sanding with 2500 grit body was ready for final finishing on Christmas. It was set aside for the Christmas break and finalized it with polishing & waxing when I got back in town. I think I managed to get it surprisingly smooth. It only took some patience. And even though it does not show that well in the images, it actually is a metallic colour with see thru wood grain. So success! it is Interesting enough the hardest part was getting a chrome colour on the edge of the pick guard I had gotten made in a shop. It took five trials and different approaches to get it look like as I wanted. No wonder you don’t see them anywhere. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    Electronics are fairly standard except the half way super switch and push pull volume pot to be able to select telecaster style neck+bridge middle position or just middle pick up if desired. I designed a pick guard that continued the swoop on the body as far as possible echoing the shape found on the side of a fifties Corvette. The same shape is also found on the true oil finished headstock as a white plate with the “model” name Funcaster. Well, it’s fun, functional, funky and some sort of a caster. :)

Really had a great time building it!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    frankencat, rootvalue and PaulieBoy like this.

2. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Really nice build, can I outsource you to refinish my guitars? :lol: Really like the saturation, contrast and the gloss.

Welcome to the forum, great first post!

3. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Well, I would not mind that at all. ;) I really love tinkering with guitars, but I'm starting to have trouble fit more anywhere in my flat or justify having much more of them as I already have pretty much every kind I'm interested to own. So doing finishing for other guitar heads would be great.

But I think nobody would be patient enough to wait me getting something done. I have quite limited time due my work and family and not exactly the optimal facilities to work. My daughter and cat are too interest in what I'm up to to have potentially unhealthy substances lying around in the kitchen or living room. This was done in the late hours in a laundry room of my apartment building as there was never reservations there after 9 pm. :rolleyes: Would be really great to have a place you don't have to clean up and collect all your stuff after every session.

Thanks, I appreciate your kind words!

4. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    WOAH!
    That is FUN!

Nice work.

Keep it up.

~ST

5. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I have similar issues with the space. I live in a student flat with my girlfriend, joint kitchen and living room, a bathroom and a bedroom. My workshop for tinkering/building is the living room and have to clean up every time I've finished doing something. It's not a hobby my girlfriend appreciates :lol: so I always have to do it when she's out (which is difficult because during the week I spend more time out at university) so the living room isn't covered in sawdust/tools when she's in, so I always have to have the place cleaned by the time she gets back. It would be nice to have a garden shed/garage/basement.

6. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK

7. Slo' Mo'

Slo' Mo' TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Denmark, Europe
    Nice job on the headstock layout - kind of a Fender-meets-Rickenbacker vibe, nice!

8. JustEd

JustEd Tele-Meister

May 25, 2014
    Apopka
    Great job, loved it!

Makes me feel I can do this as well.

9. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Sweet build. Are the in-between positions wired in series? If not, you should try it. It's really "the" Dano tone.

10. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2015
    Nashville
    Love it! And thanks for posting the video.

11. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    That is totally cool. I love the lipstick pickups. I've seen Strats fitted with lipsticks, but this is way better. That's a unique bridge plate. I don't think I've ever seen one like it.

12. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    That's my point exactly. It wasn't hard really. It was more about the patience to do layer after layer to get a smooth finish. And also having a light touch when sanding every three or five coats not to sand thru the color layers. The great thing is that as you build the finish slowly you can adjust as you go. No catastrophic failure in one hit. Just make sure your oil paint is linseed oil based and add some drying agent to the mix with the color. Most of the current paint do not tell what the carrier is, but one of the cheapest - Winton by Winsor & Newton is. These are a great link for the technique in my opinion:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-41/1116296-/page5
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/371080-swamp-ash-grain-fill-dye-tutorial.html

I'm definitely not a self proclaimed expert, but if someone is interested in this approach I'm happy to help if I can persuade someone to jump over the fence.:)

the2connors likes this.

13. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Nope. And yes I should. It seems that I would need a superswitch for that not to loose the parallel mode. I really love the ultra glassy, bright but smooth clean tones I get now. Some sort of exaggerated start in-betweens with a tele twist.

I think that superswitch does not fit to the control cavity like the half way super switch did. I'll dig further, but if anyone know a good solution right off the bat let me know.

At least what I've found so far the grounding might get tricky with all these metal parts and tight fitting cavities. Maybe I'll try this quickly first with my strat.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016

14. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Oh, and mixing oil colors with tru oil gives interesting possibilities with colors. Predictable results in mixing colors is important in art so you can mix to get any hue you want. Or make bursts or gradients as you will. All you need is understanding of basic color theory. For instance I killed the natural tone of the wood on the backside to get it fairly gray with a layer of it's inverse color. On this instance cobalt blue. Or add pigments outside the standard colors. Like silver to get metallic color like i did with this one. And do all this to neck too. I'd really like to make a completely red tele with red dyed maple neck.:D

BTW, how do I turn off the auto correct? My posts seem to be riddled with odd words without my permission...

15. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    It's from here: http://www.cf-music.com/id71.html I have a Joe Barden on my tele, which is great but this is even more comfortable and really chunky. The classic six string intonation adjustment solution is potentially awkward depending how much you need to raise the saddles, but it goes with all bridges with this system. They have a classic three saddle version too.

16. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

Holy mother of cool builds... that is amazing. Love the Vette vibe on the headstock and body, and the 3 part paint job (front middle back) is awesome. Well done, sir, well done.

17. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Thanks. The middle color is actually mirror chrome trim to go with all the chrome parts, chrome edge of the graphics on the head stock and beveled edge of the pick guard. Fifties American car vibe, got to have some chrome innit. :cool:

18. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

That is a lovely looking guitar, congratulations on the beautiful work!

19. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Nice work! Which lipsticks did you use & does Yvette sound a sweet as she looks? A suggestion for your next build...picking up your car inspiation, my favorite F1 driver is Kimi Raikkonen, howzabout a Kimicaster? Or my favorite hockey player, Jari Kurri & a Kurricaster?

20. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Nothing fancier than Guitarfetish pups. So mostly a budget build except for the bridge. These lipsticks are surprisingly good I must say. Pretty much what I hoped for except the bridge that is even better in unexpected way. Clearly a bright and powerful bridge sound but with neck pickup kind of lyric quality in the sound. Quite different than anything else I've played. All three are very dynamic so you can get clean sounds with very distorted amp by just playing softly. So lots of control to the sound just in your fingers. My only gripe with these is the tiny leads with extremely thick insulation that required reaming all the channels on the body to to wiggle all three of them thru.

Exact Ferrari red for the Kimicaster? :p TO be honest I must be pretty much the only Finnish guy being not especially interested in ice hockey or F1. For sports I'm more fired up for road cycling. For a Finnish hero for an inspiration to a guitar, I'd might pick someone from traditional art like Akseli Gallen Kallela. The bg scroll ornament on "The Fratricide" could be a cool pinstripe motif. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.