Hi! I've been lurking for a while here with amazement for all the great info and projects to be seen here. Thanks! Here's my humble first try for building something more that just an assembly job. As a guy living in a flat in a city without extensive set of tool or place to use them, I've been a put off to try something involving doing a finish for a guitar. I found some info about using try-oil here and finally decided to have a try. Had really fun and quite happy with a result for a noob I am. I hope I can push someone else over the edge to do the same. Pics are not that great, iPhone struggles as it's quite dark here up north at this time of the year. Here it goes, Funcaster called "Yvette" To be honest I really didn’t need another guitar, but tinkering with one is so fun to resist. I just had to build something. I have earlier experience of building a partscaster tele and modifying an Italia Guitars Rimini, but I have no earlier experience in painting and finishing except building scale models as a youngster. The beautiful shape of the Roadhouse Guitars barn red Jazzcaster caught my eye and I thought that roadworn look is something one could achieve with resources available for someone living in city flat. So that’s where the idea of telemaster originally came from. For the sound I was still looking for even better bright and twangy single coil funk stab sound despite having a tele and a strat. Hmm, what if I used lipstick pick ups? Never had those. And three of them to get those quacky strat 2 and 4 positions. But I started to think that funk does not go that well with barn aesthetics to begin with. Everybody from James brown to Bootsy Collins has quite a bit more flare… One could buy a finished body from someone like Warmoth, but there’s not enough fun building time I wanted. I continued to search for finishing method without a need for painting booth and spray equipment. I found interesting info here and videos about mixing tru oil with artist oil colors: (Note, this is not my guitar on the video despite being red too) And saw also some great examples of mirror like finish possible with tru oil. Maybe I could do that… Or even try to get something weird, if one mixes silver pigment in thru out the process it might get some of that candy apple red feeling to it… Early fifties clean design of telecaster, swooping lines of Jazzmaster combined with candy apple red made me thinking of cars, especially 57’ Corvette as an inspiration. Thats it! I started thinking and refining design in Photoshop. Two color body, red top and black back. I contacted Guitarbuild.co.uk about price for custom routing. Price was very reasonable. I decided to pull the trigger! What I got was excellent and swift service, quick delivery and a body with beautiful workmanship. Time to start building! While sanding, I also started ordering other parts. Mostly usual stuff, except the cool Texas Custom bridge to fit the desired fifties automotive aesthetics. Waiting for the parts started to grow long as there was a postal strike in Finland in November. Then again I was in no hurry as the selected finishing method was guaranteed to be a long process. I started sanding with 320 couple of times. Then 600. And again. First darker colors and silver pigment to the grain. Then filling them with true or sanding slurry. Had some errors I managed to fix, sand thrus etc. The dyed Tru Oil layers are very thin. I learned that don’t use the same rubber gloves twice if you use silver pigments. It flakes off from the gloves when dried and gets stuck on the next layer. I also learned that lot’s of layers is needed to get an even finish. And drying time for alizarin crimson hue is much longer than any other color. Gradually getting smoother and smoother and final sanding with 2500 grit body was ready for final finishing on Christmas. It was set aside for the Christmas break and finalized it with polishing & waxing when I got back in town. I think I managed to get it surprisingly smooth. It only took some patience. And even though it does not show that well in the images, it actually is a metallic colour with see thru wood grain. So success! it is Interesting enough the hardest part was getting a chrome colour on the edge of the pick guard I had gotten made in a shop. It took five trials and different approaches to get it look like as I wanted. No wonder you don’t see them anywhere. Electronics are fairly standard except the half way super switch and push pull volume pot to be able to select telecaster style neck+bridge middle position or just middle pick up if desired. I designed a pick guard that continued the swoop on the body as far as possible echoing the shape found on the side of a fifties Corvette. The same shape is also found on the true oil finished headstock as a white plate with the “model” name Funcaster. Well, it’s fun, functional, funky and some sort of a caster. Really had a great time building it!