Fun with aging - black 62ish round lam Strat project

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by NeverStock, May 27, 2019.

1. NeverStock

NeverStock TDPRI Member

Assembled a 62-63 round lam spec black strat for myself, and decided to age it as I went. My first time aging a guitar. I used a 58 Strat and Clapton's Blackie (wear-through on back, not so much on the front) as a template for what I was trying to do. Never did it before and didn't realize how fun it would be.

Nice 7 lbs 3 oz Strat, Guitar Mill maple/brw lam neck, USACG alder body (was 3 lbs 6 oz with finish). Body was checked with the freezer to oven method, and the neck was aged with everything - it got oil, lacquer, shoe gunk, transtint dye, and lots of sanding back. The hardware got vinegar fumes mostly. The plastic got sandpaper and vinegar fumes and heat and dye and shoe gunk.

IMG_8664.JPG
    IMG_8620.JPG
    1958 stratocaster back.jpg
    IMG_8587.JPG
    2019 May 23 Back of Guitar Body.jpg
    2019 May 23 Guitar Front Body.jpg
    IMG_8687.jpg
    IMG_8682.jpg
    IMG_8697.jpg
    IMG_8685.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    bravescoob, Norrin Radd and Matthias like this.
  2. NeverStock

NeverStock TDPRI Member

This is something of what I was going for in terms of old wood/vintage headstock color and wear.
    1961 vintage strat headstock.jpg

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Tele-Holic

Nice! I really dig the crackle pattern on your finish and the headstock looks aces. Brilliant work! :cool:

NeverStock likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.