Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fulltone Question

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by genelovesjez, Mar 31, 2003.

1. genelovesjez

genelovesjez Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    I just came home with a Fulltone '69 pedal, and I notice in the instructions it warns not to use a regular negative center pin AC adapter. This is news to me. What's this all about? Are adapters with positive tips widely available?

I currently power my pedals with the built-in power supply in my PS-25 pedal board. Will I be able to adapt anything that will deliver the positive center pin, and still use the board power?

Thanks!

2. Mik

Mik Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    +/- pins

I have a couple of adapters with switchable + or - center pins, I think I bought em at Radio Shack years ago.

Good luck,
    Mik

3. The Snowman

The Snowman Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2003
    Philly Pa
    You can use the pedal with the PS 25 board no problem....don

4. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    Hold on there!

Yes, you can use a regular adaptor (with a switchable tip) but you CAN'T use one of those octopus type cables that connects several of your pedals to a single power supply. If you do, it'll short....(I tried that on a Rat which also has a positive tip connection...luckily nothing died).

You CAN use power adapters that are specifically made to allow this. For example, I have a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power...it has 8 individual outs and you can use any combination of positive / negative tipped pedals.

Hope that helps,
    L-

5. Robbie W

Robbie W Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Lance is right...

The pedal uses PNP Germanium transistors and they require a positive ground. That is why Fulltone's instructions warn against using negative center pin adapters.

Lance is right about shorting your power supply if you run positive and negative ground pedals off the same source voltage unless they are isolated outputs.

6. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    I never use power supplies on Fuzz pedals cause the batteries sound better the old cheapest batteries carbon type. Can usually get them at the Dollar store 2 for $1

The battery when it wears down makes a sag type sound a great tone for the fuzz. Also if you really think about it power supplies werent avliable when the first fuzz pedals were made in the early 60's they were all battery operated only.

7. MJ Harnish

MJ Harnish Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2003
    Hattingen, Germany
    As others have indicated, the '69 uses PNP germanium transistors which require having the positive polarity going to ground (i.e., the center pin is the ground reference). Almost all pedals using germanium transistors require a "positive-tip" power supply since it's much more difficult to make a NPN germanium transistor. This is one of the reasons germanium fell out a favor because silicon doesn't have the same limitations. With most pedals, plugging in the wrong polarity power adapter does no harm; the pedal simply doesn't work. However, germanium transistors are pretty sensitive and you're liable to fry them if you use the wrong power supply.

MJ

8. genelovesjez

genelovesjez Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks everyone for the info!

I now notice that my Memory Man also has a positive center adapter, which is why my other 9-volt adapters don't fit into it (it requires a tapered shaft). Fulltone might be wise to do the same thing - a negative center adapter fits into it easily, and I know a lot of their pedals are sold without any instructions on the used market.
    Seems like an accident waiting to happen!

9. Mik

Mik Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Pin polarity is imprinted/noted at the device's power input

Along with the DC voltage. I always check for the polarity/V info before using a power adapter.

Mik

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.