Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Full range speakers in new Mustang GT 40?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Nolefinity, Apr 28, 2017.

1. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    Don't get your hopes up.

2. tasothdevil

tasothdevil TDPRI Member

May 1, 2017
    Taiwan
    if it is true FRFR speaker, I can use the "aux in" of mustang GT be my vocal and synthesizer amp.

3. jgat

jgat TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2010
    colorado
    ~ All the Mustangs, past and present, include speaker/cab/mic simulation ~

codamedia likes this.

4. jgat

jgat TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2010
    colorado

5. jgat

jgat TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2010
    colorado
    Previous Gen all had a very clean speaker, made to accurately convey the huge variety of modelled sounds the Mustang produces. NOT a standard guitar speaker.

6. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    No, the MIII and IV had standard celestion models. In fact i already HAD/HAVE the exact same celestion G12-T100 that came in my MIII. I tried it. They re the same speaker. The 2x12 came with 75 watt celestions if i recall. All standard celestions you'll find in many marshalls. The G12-T100 is anything but a flat range speaker. It colors the heck out of the tone like most any celestion does. Cant speak for the I and II because they're closed back but i assure you they are guitar speakers.

dobrojoe likes this.

7. CaptainSensible

CaptainSensible Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2008
    Leesburg, VA
    This string is really depressing me. I've been holding off from buying a Katana, hoping that Fender was going to put out something soon that improved upon the Mustang. Early impressions sounds like this isn't likely to be the case. Sigh.

Colin likes this.

8. Colin

Colin Tele-Meister

Don't give up hope Captain, nobody here has actually tried the GT 40 out yet.
    I just think its a pity they didn't put xlr outs on this model.

9. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Speaker, cab simulation, but mic simulations too? I don't remember seeing it but maybe I missed that option somewhere.

10. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

May 23, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    [/QUOTE]

Wow ! This is the 1st time since I bought the Mustang III (v1) a few years back that I've wanted another amp.......(besides still wanting a Boogie M1). I like the looks of this new one better and LOVE the setup, from what I've seen from this video. The footswitch works for all three and the smallest model has 2 speakers in stereo......very cool !
    It looks like Fender knocked it out of the yard again. (Did you notice the Excelsior model :)) I'd probably stick with the 100 watter with the single 12, and run it through another combo to use as an extension speaker as I do with the Mustang III, if I want a bigger sound in stereo. Regarding the quality of tone, on its own, without any external devices added, I can't really tell if it's as good or better than what I already have, based on a video, but I'd say the odds are good that it is an improvement....and as modeling technology continues to advance, that's going to happen, just a matter of when and not "if".

Besides a couple of Shane's videos, I can't think of any Mustang video that's really done the Mustang series justice, and while the tones on this GT video sound nice, I know with Mustang III that the great tones it's capable of getting requires some editing to get it sounding right with my guitars and what is needed in a full band situation...just out of old habits.
    I still think Fender is the modeling technology leader for amps in this price range and as the Captain said plainly in this video, no one does Fender (modeling) better than Fender, and based on what I've heard since the Mustangs originally came out, I agree.
    For me, there's plenty to like with the Mustang GT series, including the wood cabinet. Can't wait to take one out on the freeway and check it out under the hood.

pdcorlis likes this.

11. Big-Tele

Big-Tele Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2015
    Melbourne Australia
    I can't comment on the new Mustang GT amps, but I have a Mustang 2 v 1 and have never bonded with it for some reason. I recently bought a Katana 50 and love it. Its more of an amp with effects where the Mustang seemed more of a computer that doubles as an amp. Try out the new Mustangs by all means, but try the Katana for comparison. With luck, you will find what you are looking for whichever way you go.

12. sparkz

sparkz TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Southern California
    The good news is that Katana and New Mustang GT amps have advanced the solid state amp technology into incredible territory.

I have a Katana 50, Blues cube stage, and several hand built boutique tube amps. I just ordered a mustang gt40 to compare and I will keep one after a long eval. Tube amps can be designed and built to sound incredible but usually as a 1 trick pony which is why so many solid state pedals are required with them to further sculpt tube amp tone for different songs and genres.

This new generation of Katana and GT solid state amps are much better sounding and more versatile than prior mustangs or Roland cubes. They may not require additional pedals to achieve great versatility and can be foot switch manipulated to create sounds that are very similar to tube amps with pedals.

Will new Katana or mustang gt ever sound as good as an original tweed '59 bassman or Marshall JTM that replicated its circuitry? No but these $200 marvel amps sound similar enough and have pedals built in to create great music by more musicians. This without heavy tube amps that are finicky to maintain even by pro technologists.

I personally believe that this new solid state advancement to guitar amps is great news for all musicians.

For reference I do not now nor have I ever worked for any musical equipment company nor do I own their stock. Just a lifelong audio and video engineer that knows good sound and technology and enjoys playing my guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.