Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

FSR vs Standard MIM

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by murdude, Jul 28, 2017.

1. murdude

murdude TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Brantford, Ontario
    Much difference? Better? Worse?

Thanks.

2. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    They differ in the details specified by whomever chose to have an FSR run. Finish/pickups/bridge/etc. is down to the decretion of whoever ordered the fsr. But they're built in the same plant as standard mim fenders

3. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    From what I have seen the FSRs usually are a bit better quality than the Standard , my theory is on a short run they have a more experienced worker build it.

musicalmartin and JayFreddy like this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    My FSR in Natural Ash is MIM
    • Traditional Telecaster ash body
    • Maple neck and fretboard
    • Modern C-shaped neck contour
    • 21 medium-jumbo frets
    • Die-cast machine heads
    • Standard Tele pickups (neck & bridge)
    • 3-position blade controls
    • Master volume, master tone
    • Tortoiseshell pickguard
    • Standard Tele bridge with 6 saddles
    • String-thru bridge
    • 9.5" radius
    • 25-1/2" scale
    • 1.650: nut width
    The Standard MIM
    • Body: Alder
    • Neck: 1-Piece Maple, Modern "C" Shape, (gloss finish)
    • Fingerboard: Maple,
    • Fingerboard radius: 9.5" Radius (241mm)
    • No. of Frets: 21 Medium Jumbo
    • Pickups: 2 Hot Standard Tele Single-Coil Pickups (Neck & Bridge)
    • Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
    • Pickup Switching:
    • 3-Position Blade:
    • Position 1. Bridge Pickup
    • Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups
    • Position 3. Neck Pickup
    • Bridge: Standard 6-Saddle String-Thru-Body Bridge
    • Machine Heads: Fender/Ping Standard Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines
    • Hardware: Chrome
    • Pickguard: 3-Ply Parchment
    • Scale Length: 25.5" (648mm)
    • Width at Nut: 1.650" (42mm)
    • Unique Features: Vintage Styling, Fender Transition Logo, Parchment Plastic Parts
    One Ash and one Alder. Hotter??? pups in the new standard???

I love my Ash FSR. Only have played the Alder at GC. The ones I picked up I was okay with but didn't notice any remarkable difference. Better? That is in the eyes and ears of the beholder.

6. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Having owned both, most recently a 2010 MIM Standard Arctic White and a 2015 Special Edition Deluxe Ash BSB (FSR), I've got a few observations.

The overall fit and finish on the Special Edition is better. It's a see through finish so I think a bit of extra care goes into wood selection for the body.

The Standard weighs about 1 pound more than the Special Edition. From what I understand that varies though.

I believe the necks are the same, just finished better on the Special Edition. My Standard neck is very pale. The Special Edition neck sure looks tinted, but that's not indicated on the spec sheet.

Tuning machines and pickups are identical.

Even strummed unplugged my Special Edition rings out louder than the Standard. Maybe due to the lighter weight?

If you can find a good deal on an FSR, and can play it first, then I'd say maybe it's worth a little extra. My Standard was a fine guitar though.

7. chris214

chris214 TDPRI Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Boston
    My experience is the build quality is the same between the 2. It's about what options are offered on the FSR. Some are more visibly obvious than others, maybe a paint job or special electronics, others aren't, like neck shape or pick up type. Most, if not all, of the MIMs I have ever played have been really good instruments.

8. murdude

murdude TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Brantford, Ontario
    Thanks people. The FSR has the 3 saddle bridge. The Standard has 6 individual. Thoughts on the better? I am leaning toward the Butterscotch FSR but hate to give up the Lake Placid Blue Standard.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017

9. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

IMG_2486.jpg
    I prefer the tone of the 3 saddle bridge. On my 2010 MIM Standard the first thing I did was swap the 6 saddle bridge for a 3 saddle one.

Loco and Nick in Seattle like this.

10. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

IMG_2487.jpg Did the same bridge swap on my 2006 MIM Standard.

Nick in Seattle likes this.

11. Nick in Seattle

Nick in Seattle TDPRI Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Seattle
    IMG_0276.JPG
    I also did the bridge swap on my MIM and added a bone nut and hotrails in the neck

mnutz likes this.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    My Ash FSR is an excellent guitar, but for the most part, all MIMs are pretty darn good. My theory is that ones where you can see the grain have better bodies, otherwise, components are the same unless specifically called out. I too am a three barrel fan, but again, the six saddle ones are very nice too and can be intonated much easier.

13. Chuckster

Chuckster TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2017
    Boston/Cape Cod
    Although I'm new to Teles (but not new to Fenders), I opted to swap out the bridge on my 2012 FSR Antigua because the sides on the bridge were getting in the way of my picking. I opted for a Gotoh cut-down bridge, but stayed with the three brass compensated saddles to keep the Tele look and mystique intact.

Took a while to intonate, but I really like it. I'm sure the 6-saddle is just as good, if not better.

14. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    The two MIM FSR I have owned ,a Lake Placid Blue Baja ,and a blizzard Pearl FSR Blacktop Jaguar ,were both excellent but a bit heavy .

15. Walrus

Walrus TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Australia
    Anyone seen one of these recently?
    http://www.guitarverdict.com/guitar/fender-telecaster-fsr-review/

The recent press about a new 50's style FSR Telecaster got me thinking about getting another Tele. I used to have a standard tele and sold it, always regretted it. I might replace it with a FSR tele. I like the reversed control plate on this model and the ash tray bridge.

I just can't seem to find one locally - I'm considering importing one (which may be a bad idea).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.