Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

FSR Cabronita

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by littlericky, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Mat

Mat Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2003
    Australia
    A Question for all.

I have (hopefully) got a line on a white ash MIM.

With regards to the tone control (or lack thereof) I am plan to get a 500K / 500K concentric pot and wire one in that way using the TV Jones Spectra Sonic Supreme diagram.

Does anyone see any issues with that approach? I can get chrome concentric knobs etc. It just seems easier than a push pull pot which still only gives you fixed tonal options.

2. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Michigan
    Just make sure that you get a pot with the long bushing like Gibson guitars use. The concentric pot like Fender uses on the '62 RI Jazz Bass has a short bushing for mounting through a pickguard and the wood of the body on the Cabronita is thicker.

3. Mat

Mat Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2003
    Australia
    Awesome, thanks Milocj that's the sort of detail that makes this such a great forum.:)

Just paid for the guitar so I should see it early next week - now to gather the bits!

4. rocker71

rocker71 TDPRI Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Holland
    Yesterday, I installed a set of Wilkinson saddles on the bridge. Perfect fit. Sound seems a bit better/rounder, but hard to tell exactely, cause I changed strings too. But looks more solid with those saddles.
    Good news also is that the much discussed alignment is better too. The outer E strings don't run on the center of the saddle, but more to towards the A and B strings. So the intended string spacing is okay now.
    I really recommend this minor and cheap upgrade.

5. lancefrei

lancefrei TDPRI Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Cleveland
    I loved the sound of the stock bridge but couldn't take the height adjustment screws sticking up so far above the saddles. Tried shorter screws, but the thin metal on the saddles doesn't allow for a lot of height adjustment when you have the shorter screws. So I changed it out for an American strat hard tail bridge. The tone stayed the same and it's far more comfortable to play. Plus height adjustment is not an issue any more. Glad I made the switch. Found one on ebay that was less than what most stores are asking.

Attached Files:

6. Willie D

Willie D Friend of Leo's

Nov 19, 2004
    So. Illinois
    Those blondes look so much better in person than in photos. There's one at the local shop that has me droolin'.

7. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2009
    Wales, UK
    I got round to thinking that my Ash Cabronita might benefit from a treble bleed - easy and quick enough to try, so..
    I tried a couple of configs - cap but no resistor, resistor in parallel with cap and also then in series with cap, and came to the conclusion that .. its best left stock.

That said, I did swap the 500k pot for a different CTS 500k that I happened to have lying about, and I think that pot is slightly brighter

(I think my Strat had been fooling my ears as I'd been playing it a lot recently - and it is a particularly bright Strat)

On the MIM Cabro, I roll down the vol slightly for a suitable rhythm level, and there just is a subtle softening of the tone to go with it.
    Ideal in its simplicity :cool:

8. TubeStack

TubeStack TDPRI Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Canada
    Long & McQuade's in Canada is blowing these out at $399 and $450. I just grabbed a white one for the latter price, so far I'm having fun with it. Great deal.

I'm a really a Gibson guy (LP, SG) but wanted a guitar I could leave around the living room with my kids and not worry about headstock breaks, etc.

Pics to come. :)

9. Hiflyer

Hiflyer Tele-Afflicted

Mar 31, 2006
    Calais

10. J-man

J-man Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Apr 25, 2004
    North Wales
    Admin Post
    I got one of the Candy Apple Red Cabronitas a few months back.. Great neck, great build quality, great pickups.. Just generally great.

11. TubeStack

TubeStack TDPRI Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Canada
    Yes, I'm really digging mine. Have only played it at home and work with little amps. Going to try it with my half-stack later this week.

12. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2007
    Camas, WA
    I have a white one coming soon.
    If I want to swap out the bridge or pick guard, where would I go to find them?
    Thanks!

13. Hiflyer

Hiflyer Tele-Afflicted

Mar 31, 2006
    Calais
    If you want the Fender white pickguard, you can buy it on eBay for $20. Try a search for "Fender carbonita pickguard" (wrong spelling by the seller).

The bridge used on american Cabs is the Fender Stratocaster Hardtail bridge, it should fit without mod on your Cab, and you can buy it on eBay for $40.

14. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2007
    Camas, WA
    Thanks for the reply.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.