Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

FSR Cabronita

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by littlericky, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Tele-b-blaster

Tele-b-blaster TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Nov 29, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Black 60 Anni Telebration cab hums more than my Y2K American Standard!

2. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

Nov 9, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I tore my Cabronita apart. The bridge from Axe Caster is very nice. Seems like high quality. The plate is at least twice as thick as stock.

I put TV Jones pickups in it. The strings are over the poles with the new bridge and pickups.

I messed up somewhere on the push/pull pot. I'll give that another try tomorrow.

Here's the bridge ground. Not a lot of contact, much better now after the new bridge.
    [​IMG]

Here's the stock and Axcaster lined up:
    [​IMG]

Mounting - shows the outer screw holes line up perfectly:
    [​IMG]

The shows how much thicker the Axe Caster plate is:
    [​IMG]

I think the bridge is a nice upgrade.

Once I get my wiring sorted we'll see about the TV Jones pickups and push/pull tone. Yes, it's silly to put $250 pickups in an under $500 guitar, but we're guitar players and silly is what we do!:D

3. Tele-b-blaster

Tele-b-blaster TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Nov 29, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area

4. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

Nov 9, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Got the wiring sorted and had a chance to play for a while. I put TV Jones Classic in the neck and Classic Plus in the bridge. These are a definite upgrade from stock. Worth the price? I dunno. They're expensive and the difference is apparent, but not startling.

I also did a push/pull volume pot to add a tone control similar to the Custom Shop S-1 switch. I used the pot and wiring diagram from http://axecaster.co.uk/blog/?p=503. I was really pleased with this, it adds another set of tones, until I pulled on the switch and it came completely out.:eek: It's versatile enough that I'll buy another pot and do it again. It's a royal pain to install - the terminals are tiny.

Here's the final list of mods, some are purely cosmetic:
    - TV Jones Classic and Classic+
    - Replaced all electronics - push/pull pot, Switcraft switch and jack
    - Black electrosocket
    - Axe Caster bridge
    - Roller string tree
    - Black knurled volume knob
    - Fender Corona CA neck plate

All together this took a really nice guitar and made it great. I'm really pleased with the end product, except the failed push/pull.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky
    I have a question about mounting the filtertrons, is there anything under them? foam or what not? do the screws need a spring like other mounting screws to adjust the height? forgive the noob questions but getting ready to mount my filtertron into my cabronita and unsure on some things as this is my first filtertron guitar.

6. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    This is from the TV Jones website:
    I believe I have seen some with weatherstripping under the pickup.

7. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2009
    Lone Star State
    I played one of these at a local Guitar Center the other day. Not really impressed with it. I do not think the pickups are true filtertrons. They are some kind of humbucking pickup that sounds pretty wooly to me. (The one I played only had a volume pot and a two-way selector switch--not even a tone pot to darken up the sound at all. I would have expected it to sound pretty twangy and cutting. Plus--I was playing it through a Vox.)

I would be more interested in building one and putting a real classic filtertron pickup in the bridge only.

8. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky
    I am building one now and I a putting a Gretsch filtertron in it. It didnt come with mounting screws so Im trying to chase down the right size screw. I figured it would need something between itself and the wood which I can order from Tv jones website..but I cant find the stupid screws I need. THe pickup i have does not have ears so it will screw directly into the wood.

9. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Guitar looks great..

10. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    I am pretty sure the screws are oval head #4 X 1.5"

11. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky

12. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2009
    Wales, UK
    Different guitar (and a rather nice model it is too!), but how do the Fidelitrons sound to you in this demo?
    Not wooly - for sure!
    Twangy and cutting? .. I'd say!

(Guitar is made of (shhh!) Basswood too .. ;) )

13. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

Nov 9, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    The stock pickups have foam blocks under them. I transferred the blocks to the TV Jones pups. They give a nice range of adjustment. I didn't think to measure the blocks, but I'm thinking they were 2 inches or so thick and made from some foam that compresses and rebounds well.

14. TX-Cabronita

TX-Cabronita TDPRI Member

Feb 7, 2013
    California
    I really love mine! Don't take what GC has and assume of course it's set up, and playable. We all know what can happen to guitars at GC and the abuse they endure.
    Sweetwater sets up their guitars somewhat and are playable upon purchase. Mine is the white ash model and can do it all. The only thing I've fine is set it up, and swap the pick guard! I'll post pics soon.

15. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky
    I have some packing foam left over from warmoth when they shipped me the body. Im gonna try to fold some of that up and put it down in the cavity to use as foam. Basically thats what it is anyways.

16. Vintagebrit

Vintagebrit Tele-Holic

Having given it some thought and with a bit of advice from the good lads and lasses on TDPRI, the Cabronita in Blonde Ash will be my next guitar purchase. I have plenty of other Tele tones with my Am Spec, CV50, and early Squier Affinity so this should compliment them nicely.

17. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sep 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    I used the foam that came with a set of aftermarket pickups (Seymour Duncan or David Allen, I think). I just cut the foam into strips such that they fit the pickup routes. Something to consider if you have any lying around. Good luck!

18. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky

19. Mikus11

Mikus11 TDPRI Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Canada
    Couple points here: (nice build by the way)

Gretsch HS Filtertrons are available on ebay for about $50 each. I prefer them to TV Jones personally having owned both, but based on price alone they seem like a better match to a $500 MIM tele. That said, I don't think I'm going to change the Fidelitrons, they seem very nice to my ear.

Mouse pad works great for shimming filtertron type pickups. This is what I used to get the pickup height to proper spec on my Gretsch Tennessean. Pretty amazing that all pro line Gretsch's at $2000+ are all setup this way!!!

Thanks for the note on the bridge. I was thinking of swapping mine too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.