Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

FSR Cabronita

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by littlericky, Jul 2, 2012.

1. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Jun 16, 2008
    London UK

2. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Western PA
    Thanks for the link. I'm figuring if I take the plunge and get the white cab, I'm doing the S1 switching, pearl tuner knobs and the american standard bridge/saddles for the full custom shop "mock" La Cabronita effect. :lol:

3. ddlooping

ddlooping Tele-Meister

Sep 27, 2009
    Essex - UK
    Very nice install of a Trem King, normybaby. :)

4. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

Aug 5, 2012
    New Jersey
    No kidding. That was no minor modification. Nice job.

5. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sep 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    I'm planning to do the same with my Cabronita partscaster this weekend. I initially thought about going with an S1 switch, but the P-P is so much cheaper.

6. normybaby

normybaby TDPRI Member

Sep 13, 2008
    newington ct
    Yeah Thanks, I have to tell you though, I have a Guitar repair shop and I've installed several of these Trem-king systems on various guitars. I really liked them much better than the Bigsby that I have on another one of my Teles.
    This is my own personal Tele and I guess it would be a scary job for the first time. But, if you have woodworking/routing experience, Trem-King will sell you the templates and bits at a reasonable cost. Just make sure you protect the surfaces of the guitar and use some good double stick tape to hold the templates and of course a decent Router. Or, you could send your Guitar to Trem-King and they will install it for you, I think for around $175 (check their web site). Believe me, its well worth it.

7. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

8. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2012
    Portland Oregon
    I REALLY want to lay my hands on one of these now... The tones sound GREAT nd the price is hard to voerlook. Persoaly I like the look of the Sun Burst version and I'v never cared for SB finishes much but something about the "plateless" controls and the cut down PG just make it look STELLAR to me. White would look sweet too...........maybe Black :D basicly there isn't a bad looking version of this guitar IMO. Only issue is I already HAVE two H/H guitars so I'm not sure if this will be the best alternative for a "different" guitar, bt it sure is dam sexy looking and it sounds pretty amazing to me.

Cheers

Dave

9. Joe K

Joe K Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    Bethesda, Maryland
    I like your signature line, Chautauqua:

Here is a pretty good review of the new Cabronitas:

10. stephenyi

stephenyi Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2009
    naperville, il
    I wouldn't worry too much about the cab being redundant with the tele deluxes. The fidelitrons sound pretty different from traditional humbuckers or even WRHBs -- bright and chimey.

11. bigorange

bigorange TDPRI Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Harvest, AL
    String Spacing issues???? I wanted to give you something to think about before you force the Warmouth bridge onto your beautiful new guitar. TV Jones Classics string spacing is wider than the Fidelitrons. That alone may solve all your string spacing issues. That is a relatively expensive fix (but well worth the money). I think TV Classics combined with the saddles from Callaham will more than fix the issues. I have not done this mod yet, but I will soon and I will update people when my project is complete.

12. lancefrei

lancefrei TDPRI Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Cleveland
    RE comments that the strings don't line up with the pickup screws. I've owned a 1964 Gretsch Country Gentleman for decades and the screws never lined up exactly on that guitar, either. I confess I never noticed anything that bugged me about it. Guitar always sounded twangy and smooth. Just bought a MIM Cabronita (with custom rosewood neck; I prefer rosewood) and don't plan on changing the bridge.

13. rocker71

rocker71 TDPRI Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Holland
    Nice thread guys!

I have been reading for an hour to study all this this stuff.
    Strange about the bridge (come on 7ender!), but still love my Cab.

One more question: has someone been experimenting with the pickup screws adjustment? I mean the twelve screws from each pickup: they all can be altered in height. Has anybody had good results with that? Are just leave them stock...

14. rocker71

rocker71 TDPRI Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Holland

15. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

Nov 9, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I have 1 that I hope to get installed in the next couple of days.

My Cab was supposed to stay stock, but I started looking at S-1 or push/pull switching for a tone control, one thing led to another and a whole bunch of parts showed up. ;)

16. rocker71

rocker71 TDPRI Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Holland
    Please tell me your experience.
    About the installation (pictures?) and also the sound difference.

17. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2009
    Wales, UK
    Cool stuff!
    I think I'm going to leave mine bone stock - that was the promise I made myself and I'm still mucho happy with mine as-is, though I still seem to be snapping a few more strings on this Cab than naything else I have owned before. Odd. Maybe I'm simply tempted to show it a firm hand more often ;) .. who knows

Something I have noted :

My Fidelitrons exhibit more hum than I'd expect (consistently so in all three positions).
    More than I recall experiencing from a Humbucker before.
    Nothing truly excessive, but my 'man cave' has some lighting ring wiring that needs sorting, and if I put the overhead lights on, believe me it is a real test for any pickup!
    However, my SSS Strat, in pos 2 and 4 still manages to stay remarkably quiet with amp / OD gain and the overhead lights on (and with my hand on the strings).

The Cabronita (in the exact same circumstance) .. quite noticable hum by comparison.
    OK, not terrible by any means, but genuinely more noticable. It's there for sure.

I'd expect the Fidelitrons to be as quiet, or maybe even quieter than the Strat in pos 2 or 4? - No?

I cant see anything wrong in the control route. All looks 'norm'.

Anyone else noted the Fidelotrons / MIM Cab to be just a little bit noisy for a 'HB' equipped guitar?

18. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

Nov 9, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Mine hums too. When I touch the strings or bridge it quiets considerably. I'm wondering if the bridge is properly grounded. I'm hoping to get the tear down done today, rebuild tomorrow and (hopefully not needed) the next day. I'll report what I find.

19. kgguitarplayer

kgguitarplayer Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2010
    Nashville
    My telebration cab does the same.

20. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2006
    ardmore, ok
    Sounds like you need to ground the bridge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.