Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Frine Fret Polishing Kit

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by ZackyDog, Sep 8, 2017.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    This looked interesting, and gets perfect reviews wherever I look on the web (i.e. Sweetwater, Amazon).
    So, I decided to order a kit; it should be ready for pickup at Guitar Center today.

MN124-xlarge.jpg

2. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    I'm a fan of pretty much all the Music Nomad products I've tried (which is several). However when it comes to fret polishing I really don't like using the metal fret protectors as they just seem too thick to get down the sides of the fret and they aren't exactly "water tight" so you're still going to get polish/residue on the fingerboard. It takes 3 minutes to mask a fingerboard and you get most of that time back because polishing without fussing with the fret guard is much faster.

That said I am happy to be wrong about these sorts of things so let us know how it works out for you.

ZackyDog likes this.

3. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Gorgomyte works perfectly on my frets. They gleam like new after cleaning. Much easier than the setup in the vid.

4. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Good points; maybe masking is the way to go.

I like this; looks like it will work on any tuning button:

untitled.png

5. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne
    I bought a set of the Music Nomad fret protectors to see if the addition of handles makes them easier to use. That seemed like a useful improvement on a basic tool that can be hard to hold (I've seen other people stick gaffa/duct tape to the basic ones to give them a bigger area to hold on to).

But I agree that fret polishing is not their best application.

Music Nomad has some other neatly designed stuff but also some overpriced gear that can be picked up much cheaper on ebay.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    I picked up and unpacked the fret kit. I didn't have any masking tape on hand, so I used the fret protectors/spatulas.

It seems to work OK. I didn't have any rust/corrosion so the results were subtle. I think it's a useful kit to have on hand, but would have a more dramatic effect on a guitar that hasn't had its frets cleaned in a few years.

7. Sweet Lou 275

Sweet Lou 275 TDPRI Member

Nov 24, 2016
    Washington
    You can go to almost any store selling stationary and get an eraser shield. They have a couple slots in them perfect for guarding your frets. Aside from a quick hit with some #0000 steel wool, I don't use any kind of polish myself. Sorry it didn't perform as you hoped, but some fretwire only can be polished so much. Definitely keep it around though.

8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Thanks but don't be sorry. My frets seem to be pretty durable and a little ant-corrosive; the luthier who did my last fret job used stainless steels frets.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.