Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fretless, semi-hollow wenge/tineo guitar

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by lbridenstine, Dec 7, 2013.

1. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

Feb 21, 2013
    Galesburg, MI
    I didn't really think it through when I was making it. :rolleyes:

I'm not planning on using tail pieces in the future. I prefer string through.

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Order up some heavy-gauge ones that won't break as easily!

What amp did you order?

3. lbridenstine

Feb 21, 2013
    Galesburg, MI
    I ordered 12-52. The ones on it are 11-50, so I'm not sure it will be much different. Ironically I broke the same string (high E) on a different guitar today and both of them broke right at the tuner... and the second one broke while I was de-tuning somehow. I managed to find an extra 10 sitting in a box for that one.

This is the amp:

[​IMG]

It's used and unfortunately was marked as being in good condition, but it's not. Cosmetically it's good, but it squeals, shorts in and out when I turn any knob, has scratchy pots, and the on/off switch is just floating there, missing the nut that's supposed to hold it on. I might return it and try to get another. I'm glad that I at least ended up getting it from somewhere that accepts returns instead of ebay. I am disappointed though.

4. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Gee, that sounds like me playing normally! :rolleyes:

Seriously, sorry about the amp, sounds to me like the seller misled you and owes you your money back. I'd certainly encourage you to demand a refund.

I've had a bad taste for Vox ever since, in the stone age, I saw a brand-new Super Beatle, never before turned on, pour out an impressive amount of smoke on a bandstand the first time it was switched on. It was a Battle of the Bands I was participating in, and although my band beat theirs (how could we lose? They were playing short an amp!) I felt sorry for the kid, who was so proud of his big new amp. only to have it humiliate him in front of the crowd. People were unkind enough to laugh at this. My band-mates and I were sympathetic enough to point out to him that our AMERICAN Fender amps had never burned up, embarassing us on stage. (In retrospect, I can now say we saved the source of humiliation for our playing, not our gear. And also in retrospect, those crap-boxes early Vox amps were also American made, IIRC.) Anyway, just my perspective.

5. lbridenstine

Feb 21, 2013
    Galesburg, MI
    Yeah, I'll return it.

I used to work at a guitar shop and this guy brought in his Line 6 head to return it and said it started smoking, so the sales manager offered to exchange it for a new one and he plugged it in to test it first and that one started smoking too.

This is off topic, but I don't want to start a new thread for this: can anyone tell me what the name of the thing is that people use to check the shape of the back of a neck? The thing with the pins... I want to get one, but I have no idea what it's called.

sosay likes this.

6. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

I think you've got a contour gauge in mind.

[​IMG]

7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    It's called a contour gauge..

8. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Rick, why are you combing the bottom of your model ships?

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I think it's called a boat comb.

10. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Rob, that's not a model ship. It's a new neck contour I'm testing out. :D

11. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Rick are you testing how the skunk stripe feels if it sticks out like that? How is it?

12. lbridenstine

Feb 21, 2013
    Galesburg, MI
    Yep, that's what I wanted. Thanks guys. I had no clue what it was called!

I want to try to see if I can replicate some neck shapes in the future, so this should help me with that.

13. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    I remember someone (Nickhofen?) making a contour gauge out of a couple of bits of flat ali and some carefully-trimmed spaghetti! Did the job, and he had a snack for later :)

14. lbridenstine

Feb 21, 2013
    Galesburg, MI
    Haha, that's awesome and sounds like it would work just fine.

15. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Ha, Helmut, it hurts! And I got splinters in my hand!:eek:

16. lbridenstine

Feb 21, 2013
    Galesburg, MI
    I got the new strings on. I got it setup. I plugged it in. It works. I need to find some zip ties for the cables in the cavity and that should be it!

I got a new amp too, a *new* new one. Same model and it sounds muuuuuch better.

Attached Files:

17. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan

18. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Good for you girl. That is one fantastic guitar. Did you get the same model amp?

19. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    nosmo, grab a cuppa coffee, man! :D

20. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Too late - had a whiskey tasting tonight.

I will try to read a little closer from now on :oops:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.