Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Fret wear

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Dave Best, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Dave Best

Dave Best Tele-Meister

Apr 16, 2012
    Citytown
    Hi folks. I've had my '52 Tele reissue since January and I'm seeing more fret wear than I would have expected. Mostly frets 2-4 on B & G ('cowboy chords'). I don't play alot below the fifth fret and I dont' think I have a death grip on the neck, yet a fair bit of wear as described. No buzzing as yet so that's good. Just wondering if theres such a thing as premature fret wear, causes, solutions (change type of strings?).

Thanks,

Dave

2. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    What type strings are you using.. Pure nickel or nickel wound strings won't do as much damage to frets as does stainless steel. All the 52 reissues have smallish fret wire that will wear faster than med. jumbo or jumbo, obviously.

3. Dave Best

Dave Best Tele-Meister

Apr 16, 2012
    Citytown
    Hi Rod; using D'Addario nickel wound super lights. That makes sense re: smaller fret wire but it's still alot more than I would have expected. What are you using string-wise?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Probably just the finish wearing off the frets, pretty common.. don't sweat it, the frets themselves are fine..

6. jimmyjoe

jimmyjoe TDPRI Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Wroclaw, Poland
    Well, I noticed the same with my MIM 60s Classic. I've been playing her for half a year and I'm worried with unexpected fret wear. No significant buzz, but many frets have flat tops, which sometimes gets in the way while sliding a finger up a string. I think I'm gonna have the frets refiled, but the next time I notice heavy wear I'll think of a complete refret to something like medium jumbo. Half a year and frets visibly worn!

7. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    I use D'Addario nickel wound # 10s. But I have an old Warmoth neck with 6105 frets. They had worn a little faster than I thought they would and I just had the 1st 12 frets replaced. They didn't have to be replaced, but the nut split and with a new nut refitted, it was recommended to have the frets replaced. But this neck has been played for years and years... it's from '94. There were still no buzzes 'till the nut broke. I have often wondered about various hardness's of different fret wires. Stainless steel=very hard..... Nickel-silver= some harder than others??

8. Dave Best

Dave Best Tele-Meister

Apr 16, 2012
    Citytown
    Hey xtrajerry; the wear is double the rate of my acoustic (Martin 28) so I'm now thinking a thicker fret next time around. Thanks for the input.

9. Dave Best

Dave Best Tele-Meister

Apr 16, 2012
    Citytown
    Hi Rod; I was considering steel frets on my Martin a year ago but the trade-off is the string wear & breakage is alot higher with steel (so they say). Anyway; I'll keep an eye on it. I'll do some research into fret makes, types etc; better to learn it now before I need to have any work done.

10. Dave Best

Dave Best Tele-Meister

Apr 16, 2012
    Citytown
    Jimmyjoe; that's exactly what I'm seeing. On the G, 2nd fret especiialy, it looks like a trench. I'll have a look at fret options; maybe the 'steel rails' SRV used on his strat.:lol:

11. jimmyjoe

jimmyjoe TDPRI Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Wroclaw, Poland
    Dave, could you tell some more on these SRV frets? I'm not afraid of thick frets! I used to play a LP clone with kind of jumbo frets. The first time I had them refiled was after 25 years of playing! Of course I should have done it sooner, but sure not after 1/2 year of playing. So now I'm not tied to vintage frets and looking for options. Maybe somebody knows what kind of frets Albert Collins used?

12. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    SRV used bass frets on #1

13. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    both SRV and AC used dunlop 6100 aka "jumbo" frets

14. Dave Best

Dave Best Tele-Meister

Apr 16, 2012
    Citytown
    Hey jimmyjoe; not much I can tell you other than I know Stevie Ray Vaughan (i.e "SRV") used a thicker fret on his guitars, supposedly because it increased the sustain on bends. Someone suggested that my fretwear issue was due to the '52 vintage reissue having much thinner frets than you normally see so I was kinda thinkin out loud whether going to the thick frets might be the answer. By far I am no expert but I'll be doing a little research on frets. Any advice is welcome.

15. jedi

jedi Tele-Holic

Nov 26, 2007
    on the bridge pickup
    If it is not affecting playability...forget about it. The stock frets Fender uses on some models are softer than others. I drill thru the stock frets pretty quickly. I normally refret everything I buy anyway but if you are playing cowboy chords you probably are fine.

16. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    ive got some 'dents' in a few frets on my 52RI as well, you can see here. right under the G string bottom fret
    if that is what the op is describing he could get them recrowned.

[​IMG]

17. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Be careful not to get stainless steel strings. They'll wear your frets quicker than nickel or bronze-wound strings.

18. Dave Best

Dave Best Tele-Meister

Apr 16, 2012
    Citytown
    I'll just keep following the fret wear and get 'em redressed sometime down the road. Thanks everyone for your input; much appreciated.

19. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Some folks are harder on frets than others. I hammer the cowboy chord frets, and they would wear quickly. I switched over to stainless steell frets, and have yet to see any fret wear.

As some have said before, some frets are softer than others. I have carved grooves in new frets bending the low E the first time I picked a particular instrument.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.