Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fret slots by CNC, band saw, figure saw...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Slowtwitch, Feb 8, 2019.

1. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    You can use a table saw or a radial arm saw with appropriate blade and a slotted template and pin to set the correct spacing .

2. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2018
    South Africa
    I'm in South Africa and these are not locally available, and to ship fretboards from overseas doesn't make sense

wadeeinkauf likes this.
  3. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2018
    South Africa
    If I got the Japanese saw route will this do? Tooth per inch is only 18 but the kerf is 0.5mm which looks great. Price seams reasonable, can't find $10 saws like shown above though
    Screenshot from 2019-02-09 07:33:29.png

Jupiter likes this.
  4. darren7

darren7 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2009
    Toronto
    I already posted the link above to Precise Bits.

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Back when I started doing this stuff, this was the kerf size of the fret wire. These days it appears that most saws cut a .023 kerf. Just makes sure the fretwire tang will get in there without causing a back bow.

Slowtwitch likes this.
  6. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Sep 24, 2010
    Monterey CA
    Ok...since you are going to have to cut these by hand here is a suggestion that you can try that will cost next to nothing.

As guitarbuilder just said fret saws that you purchase from LMII and StewMac (I have 2) are .023 inches. I just measured mine and that is what I got. A regular old hacksaw blade is (I just measured one of mine) is .024. A hacksaw is not the best choice but it will work if you take your time and have a steady hand.

I would suggest you go to http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/ or use another similar tool and print out this fret layout on “thick” paper….thicker that normal printer paper. You will have to print on two pages and tape these together. Then either double sided tape or spray contact glue on the paper and glue it to the fretboard. Use the thicker paper because the glue has moisture and the damp paper can (will) stretch. You need something straight and heavy to set next to the printed fret line to hold the saw against as a guide. I use a piece of stone that was a leftover from a stone counter top that had been cut square. I have even used two small carpenter squares taped together to get them high enough. It will be tedious but I am sure it will work and the fret slots will not be too wide.
    Wade

Slowtwitch likes this.
  7. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    central CA
    I cut all my fretslots with a 0.023 fretslot cutter endmill from Precise bits.
    I've cut about 10 fretboards this way to date and have broken exactly 1 endmill in all that time.
    I run them at 300mm/min and I use a depth of cut of 0.2mm per pass.
    Steve

Slowtwitch and adirondak5 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.