Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fret replacement

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Wayne-R, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Wayne-R

Wayne-R NEW MEMBER!

Sep 11, 2017
    Texas
    I`m getting my 73 re-fretted, but I know little about it, what is the difference between nickel and stainless frets. I've only been playing about three years and still have much to learn.

2. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Tele-Afflicted

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern NJ
    I won't speak about nickel vs stainless, but getting my 78 refretted was fantastic for me.
    I did not do stainless, but I did go up in fret size to 6100 wire.
    Good luck, I hope you play so much that you have to get it refretted again some day!

twr1 likes this.

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I don't know about any perceived tone differences but the stainless frets would probably outlive you by decades.

Stainless is MUCH harder to work with.
    I was building a custom guitar for a guy and late in the game he casually told me 'i want stainless frets on it '.
    "Who you gonna get to do that? " I asked.
    Expect to pay way more for something that is probably a non-issue.

4. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    Honestly stainless isn't that big of a deal these days. There are better tools available and the techniques are being refined as more and more customers request them. The cost difference should be negligible but certainly worth it as they will likely be the last frets you ever need install on that guitar. They feel great too.

5. Speedfish

Speedfish TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Southern United States
    Hopefully your luthier knows to hammer the old frets out sideways verses pulling them straight up off the board.

tessting1two and rob2 like this.

6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    Stainless is much better option, any repairman/ luthier worth his salt should only charge you marginally more for SS frets than regular frets.

7. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    I can't recall the source, but read of a higher end builder (Sadowski?) who believed stainless frets sounded lifeless and the few times he used them was asked to rip them out to put nickel back in.

8. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    Yep, Sadowsky. E Van Halen quote here as well saying there is no difference tone wise. Others say stainless sounds "brighter"
    http://www.online-discussion.com/Suhr/viewtopic.php?t=5700

9. rob2

rob2 Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2009
    Cork,Ireland
    See what Speedfish says above?.....very important,more important than what you put back o
    n really...

10. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2014
    Southern California
    Yep, every Fender before '83 or '84 when Dan Smith changed the process. This should be common, institutional knowledge for anyone in the repair business that charges money for fretwork but sadly this is often not the case.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.