Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fret refinishing kit?????

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by guitarzan13, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX

Leveling the frets along the lie of an unleveled fretboard is NOT fret leveling. No luthier or fret technician would ever do that. If you don't first level the fretboard, you will have leveled the frets based on a convex or concave neck (up or down neck bow). That's not a good thing.

There are just too many anomalies with the TG kit for anyone who understands fret leveling/crowning to approve of it as a valid process or valid tools.

If you think the TG process and kit work well for you, yer in for a huge treat when you use the right process and tools.

2. jeffhigh

jeffhigh Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2003
    Australia
    After reading this thread a few weeks ago, I finally got around to doing a level and crown on my two Gibson ES125's using conventional methods (24" beam with grit, diamond crowning file etc) Both had a rise after the 14th fret, less on the '55, but quite dramatic on the '67, which took me an hour and several paper changes to level. Crowning was also quite a lengthy process due to the width of the flats left from leveling.
    Worked fine and plays great. Not the first time I have done this, but the last time was about 30 years ago
    Cannot imagine having used this fret refinishing kit, it could not have leveled the frets, only smoothed them relative to the adjacent frets, and no way could it have crowned them after removing the amount of material I had to do during the leveling.
    Cost me around $30 US for the beam (aluminium level) and crowning file to do it properly.
    As for the concept of making money using the "fret refinishing kit" on other peoples guitars,I had better not comment.

3. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2006
    LaGrange, GA
    Since I started this mess....y'all should know.
    I took the advise of Rob and Ron and did it the real and proven way....
    It was not as hard as I thought AND it is now the most awesome playing guitar that I have EVER owned.....I used a piece of flat steel wrapped in sand paper, a fret crowning file that I bought on Ebay for $20 and several grades of sand paper.......my son's Tele is next, then my new to me 50th Anny Strat...
    LONG LIVE ROB AND RON!!!!

4. photoweborama

photoweborama Friend of Leo's

Dec 16, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Point taken. That's all I'm going to say.
    Long live Rob and Ron!

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    More times than not the real difference between a great playing/sounding guitar and a real dog, is simply the fret job.

If you pick up a guitar that feels and plays wonderfully, it’s going to affect your subconscious opinion of the instrument, and you are going to hear what you would expect from a guitar that feels so fine.

Grab a supposedly marvelous guitar with a horrible fret board and you are likewise going to hear what you would expect from a dog.

Thus… if you’re not happy with what your playing, try a simple fret job, you are going to be amazed.

Ron Kirn

6. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    Listen up to what Ron sez - he's preaching the gospel of guitars. Playability is all about the frets ...

7. stubby1263

stubby1263 TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Alexandria,KY
    Other than mgfretman taking things out of context this has been a great thread for me, as I,m about to do my first level crown & polish. I bought a 8" wood leveling block, a diamond crowning file, and a end dressing file from Stew-Mac. I'm going to take my time and give it a shot. Cost me a few bucks but I figure I got the right tools. Thanks for the info Rob & Ron!

8. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    after what is now almost 45 years, If I had to do it all over... the absolute first thing I would learn is how to level and crown frets... I betcha that one process would have saved me many thousands spent searching for the guitarmania panacea, and I know I'd still have that '62 Strat, and 64 Jaguar.

Pickups, Pffffffttttttt!!!!!!, Bridges Raaaaaaaaazzzzzzz!! Saddles, Naaaaahhhh! Nitro?? Heheheh... Man, give me level frets over all the other choices that could be made....

Ron Kirn

9. Primeta

Primeta TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Ontario
    Rob, which of the diamond files at stew-mac do you find easiest to use? I'm finding their site confusing, especially as a set of steel files looks almost identical to a set of diamond files.

I'm not sure if I have the nerve for this, but having read back through many posts, both you and Ron have both been wonderfully helpful and informative. Thank you.

10. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    I started off using this diamond crowning file ...

[​IMG]

... and got a set of these as soon as they became available ...

[​IMG]

Both types will get the job done easily correctly.

This style of diamond crowning file works, but IMHO not as well as the above because it's too long and flat ...

[​IMG]

Primeta, you have a PM ...

11. stubby1263

stubby1263 TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Alexandria,KY
    I bouhgt the one with the screwdriver looking handle. I have not used it yet but will let you know how it goes. Very nice looking tool but $$$$$!

12. Bluesbob

Bluesbob Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    East Suffolk L.I.
    I've used it...

I have to jump in here and say that first, it does NOT do the same kind of job that a good luthier or tech (or you) could do. I used it (my buddy Vinny bought it) on a guitar neck that was in pretty rough shape to begin with, that had buzzes and a couple of high frets. The guitar was sold (for $200) and had to go out and neither Vinny nor I wanted to take the time to do work on the neck anyway. It worked OK, got rid of the buzzes and allowed us to set up the neck without any more hassles. It works by bashing (with a sheet of sandpaper, of course) the side of the fret and jumping over the top (in both directions), thus smoothing the frets. I think it's about 6 inches long, maybe 8 (don't have it here). I used it on a new Fender neck for my own personal guitar, but after a couple of passes, I decided to quit and use crowning files instead, just because I'm not sure what the fairly violent knock that the tool gives to the frets will do. But then again, this neck was for my own personal use. So if you ask me, "does it work?", I'd have to say, "sort of". You should tape the fretboard and you still have to polish the frets, just as you would using anything else.

13. mgfretman

mgfretman Banned

Feb 7, 2007
    New Jersey
    Well, the feedback record T-G is enjoying continues. Almost 2000 positive feedbacks...100%....not one negative. The word is spreading that there's no big deal in doing your own frets.

14. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    I'll be kind and not post a negative reply to your post. :rolleyes:

15. jawjatek

jawjatek TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2006
    GA
    mgfretman is obviously a T-G shill. PT Barnum was right.

16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Oooohhh...I like the look of those screwdriver handle thingies.
    Especially since I just did the last 6 frets of a Gibson hollowbody (with the classic "hump") and it took about 3 hours with the old flat files.
    I do have a nice diamond one that I've ground and polished a "safe" edge on (for crowning)...I've gotten pretty good at it, but DANG it takes a long time!

17. guitarzan13

Jul 25, 2006
    LaGrange, GA
    Question for Rob or Ron....

I am going to order this file.....The burr file that I have chatters too much. Can I assume that the medium will do most all of the standard fret wire?? I want a good one to do my 50th Anny USA Strat....

Attached Files:

18. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    That one should do the trick... remember, about any fret crowning file is better than no fret crowning file... like the fret crowning file you do not get with the T&G

Ron Kirn

19. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    Yeah, the medium will cover a lotta fret crown sizes. For a pro, the beauty of having all three files is that you can start off with a larger size @ 150 grit and progress to a smaller size @ 300 grit.

20. guitarzan13

Jul 25, 2006
    LaGrange, GA

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.