Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fret Re-set help?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Kevin, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Kevin

Kevin Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Terre Haute, IN
    I have a 22 fret neck on which the 22nd fret seems to have risen slightly -- just enough to buzz when playing on the upper frets, and it feels as if it is slightly above the lacquer.... It's not loose -- just seems high. When I place a straightedge along the lower frets there is just a touch of light between the 21st and 22nd frets.

It seems as if a couple of quick taps with a rubber mallet would reset the fret, but I'm worried about breaking the (awfully thin) wood at the end of the fretboard, as the fret is right at the extension of the board. It looks as if there is very little wood under the edges of the fret....

I was thinking that if I placed a 3/4" block of wood under the extension, it may give me enough support to "whack" it.

Thought I'd check with you guys first, though, as you may suggest filing...

2. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Blacksburg, VA
    I would expect that the fret is actually somewhat loose and will pop back eventually if you hammer it down. You may need to use thin superglue to hold it down. See if you can borrow a copy of Dan Erlewines repair book. He has a detailed description of gluing down loose frets.

However, if it's really not loose and needs to be pushed down - is this a Warmouth neck with one of those diving board extensions? If so, how about taking the neck off and pressing the fret in place with a C clamp or a pair of pliers. (Tape everything off and use a block under the fretboard overhang.)

Third possibility - if the fret seems well seated, I think I'd file it to the level of the other frets and recrown.

Fouth possibility - remember the old saying "There's no money to be made above the seventh [or was it fifth] fret."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.