Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

fret leveling tool-truss rod adjustment?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by guitarmoron, Sep 19, 2017.

1. guitarmoron

guitarmoron TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2014
    arkansas
    ok I'm an idiot, I see all of these vids about using a slotted fret leveling tool to level frets, I get the idea, but how do you use for truss rod adjustment, I see reviews that it is a GREAT tool for truss rod adjustments, I don't understand:(

thanks

2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Notched straightedge?

To check relief of the fretboard, place it on the board so the frets are in the notches, and use a feeler gauge between frets 8 and 9 to measure the gap batween the board and the straightedge. Then adjust the truss rod as necessary.

I've never used mine to level frets, though, and I've only used it to measure relief a couple of times. I probably shouldn't have bought it.

3. guitarmoron

guitarmoron TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2014
    arkansas
    Thanks! I get it now

4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    You want the neck as flat as possible before you start grinding those frets. You can get by without the notches.

The notched straight edge will tell you if the board is flat. If there's a problem there, that's a much bigger project. :)

asnarski and LutherBurger like this.

5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    THAT'S what I've used it for. I'd forgotten. Thank you for reminding me.

I need more coffee.

6. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2013
    Southern Missouri
    I would say you can check the frets with the notched straight edge as well. just move the notches off the frets and have the bottom edge sitting on the frets. The bottom of the notched is suppose to be level so no reason you can't check for fret level with it as well..

7. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    I use a fret rocker for that. A short straight edge to bridge three frets at a time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.