Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Fret King JD to buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by handers, Jan 7, 2017.

1. handers

handers TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Gloucestershire
    'popped' into the music shop today to look around for a hollow body and came across a fret king JD.... HOW NICE.... feels lovely to play only thing was it had a couple dings in the side , one of which was on the binding.... shop said i could have it for £475..... what do you think? Any owners here?

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Friend of Leo's

That's about 1/2 price of the original retail. Is it the black or natural finish?

I like the Fret King model, it retains the close to Tele headstock.

The newer "Vintage Guitar" model by Wilkinson has a Strat like headstock. Several people here really like the new model. Not sure how much difference between the two models there would be coming from basically the same company, although there are different pickups.

The Fret King sports the Seymour Duncan pickups. The SD Jerry Donohue bridge pickup is one of my favorites.

I've never played one of these, but if you like it, go for it.

I don't know how serious the dings are, but you might have some wiggle room on price maybe.

Good luck whatever you decide.

handers likes this.
  3. handers

handers TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Gloucestershire
    Its the JD model.... not the JDD model so no seymour duncans... its the natural finish lovely guitar though. Saying that i think I've set my heart on a fender american delux in cherry wood finish.... just need to save a bit more :)

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. handers

handers TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Gloucestershire
    well.... popped into another shop today for a browse and to see how much trade in i could get for my ltd401 and they gave me a fair price. They also had a fret king jerry donahue on the rack..... it wasn't the natural finish I liked but the sunburst version...... so comfy to play and the natual neck finish and 'c' profile fits really well..... i had to take it home :) would have been rude otherwise.....

Piotr likes this.
  6. LordByron

LordByron Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm strongly considering a Country Squire Deluxe Thinline. I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on your Fret King after a few days of playing it.

7. cruzer

cruzer TDPRI Member

Sep 24, 2016
    Germany
    I got the Fret King Country Squire Deluxe Thinline 6 weeks ago. Very interesting concept! Tele bridge with compensated saddles which works as Strat like trem. Finish and weight are great. No need to change anything not even the pickups. Soundwise a lot of possibilities but works best as the name says..... for - Country.

@handers: who´s the shop with the JD? Contact?

8. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    Gee whiz, If I were in the market (or even not!) for a tele, I'd be all over that one. Although I've never played a FK JD, I have spent quality time with the MIJ Fender JD and enjoyed the tones and playability.

JD himself sez this about the signature guitar Trev did for him: “Of all the special guitar projects I’ve ever been involved with in my quest for the perfect guitar, the Fret King JDD beats them all – at any price, it’s the best, and the most affordable. Having guitar designer Trev Wilkinson and pickup guru Seymour Duncan working with me on this very special project has resulted in truly the best electric guitar I have ever played - I honestly could not be happier!”

Pretty high praise from a great player. I would venture a guess most companies that produce signature models would love to have a musician of Jerry's stature (ala Peavey with the Steve Cropper model) on board. To take an artist away from Fender or Gibson has to be a feather in the AR departments cap.

Kudo's to JD and Trev for producing a quality, signature instrument at an affordable (compared to most custom shop or signature instruments) price.

This seems like a great deal handers....I hope you grab that beauty and play the livin' dickens out of it!

9. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    This is a whole lotta talk and not much pictures...

RoyBGood likes this.
  10. LordByron

LordByron Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    What are your thoughts on the coil splitting on the FK?
    Do the split HB's really give convincing single-coil-like performance?
    How significant is the volume roll off as you split the coils?
    In full HB mode, how hot/not are the pups? Bright? Warm?

Thanks for the info! :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.