Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

French Toast in a Blizzard?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telepi, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Telepi

Telepi Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2009
    Snow is coming tomorrow.

Why do people rush to the grocery store for: milk, eggs and bread?
  2. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2006
    S.E. North Carolina
    particularly when they are such comparatively poor choices for storage in a power out sitchyashun...
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Yeah, but french toast!
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Food for when you are snowed in with a significant other, not survival food
  6. 68tele

68tele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2003
    East Northport NY
    There's a song in there.
  7. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Dec 28, 2007
    Rockledge Florida
    You should see the frenzy down here when a hurricane is on the way!

Is like, "Oh my God! a hurricane is predicted to come ashore 200 miles away! We're going to have rain and wind gusts for 48 hours!"

Then everyone runs to the store and buys FIVE shopping carts full of stuff!
  8. KBing

KBing Tele-Meister

Oct 21, 2009
    NJ (Exit 4)
    In the "olden days", before my time :lol:, these items were delivered to your milkmen, eggmen, etc...

If a large storm was brewing, there may be no delivery, so I suppose people would make a run on the local market and hoard these things...
  9. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 31, 2008
    Wise River, Montana
    So, if we stock up on French Toast for blizzards, what do they do in France???
  10. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    I agree with KBing, it started a long time ago when they were had-to-have staples during tough times. Most meats and vegetables were kept in freezers or in the basements. The only things missing were the daily staples. There weren't that many choices and these items could be used for many things.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  11. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2011
    Jasper, TN
    First thing that came to my mind was the Danelectro pedal, then I was trying to envision it in the snow....
  12. edchavez

edchavez Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2011
    Apparently it's survival food. We're expecting ice in northern Arkansas, so I had this same conversation with a guy at work this morning.
  13. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Feb 1, 2007
    SE PA
    I used to be a substitute teacher in the local HS, and plenty of the kids I babysat worked/still work in the local grocery store. They are the ones who told me they call these storms "French Toast Emergencies". It's particularly amusing to me, because in the last 20 years, I can only recall 2 storms that kept me indoors for more than 48 hours, so I don't get too freaky about it.

When we lose power in a winter storm, I put my food on an ice chest and set it outside.

I don't actually watch TV, so once in a while I'll walk into the grocery store on normal mode and notice a wiped out dairy section and ask the dairy guy--Storm coming?

Hope you don't get it too bad.
  14. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 17, 2007
    Willamette and Columbia
    I do like the Marshman... Who needs a refrigerator when it's snowed in?
  15. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Exactamundo! Who needs power if you got chilled drinks, and a fireplace? Getting tight and reading, strumming an acoustic, laying under the covers, no work, sounds like a plan. We only got a couple of inches, but dang, now I want some french toast, and a scotch.
  16. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

Nov 9, 2012
    And peanut butter. Don't forget the peanut butter...
  17. Glad to hear it.

The Black Bears need to eat, too! :D
  18. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, but down here, when a hurricane is coming, the things in shortest supply in the grocery stores are Vienna Sausage and beer!:D
  19. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2010
    North Dakota
    Man, I thought Dairy Queen was issuing a new Blizzard, a french toast blizzard...
  20. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 17, 2012
    People are convinced that if they can't get their $50,000 SUV out of the driveway they will perish in their homes. That's it in a nutshell. Never mind that the store is within walking distance, and everybody and his dog has a cell phone, it doesn't matter. If you can't drive to the store, you're going to starve to death.
  21. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 28, 2006
    S.E. North Carolina
    That's what I refer to as "boardin' up and buyin' bread". :lol:
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.