Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

French soccer team in semi final ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I'm not a big fan of football but I'm feeling a lack of support for England on this thread. :rolleyes: Come on England! :p

Finck likes this.
  2. tahoebob54

tahoebob54 Tele-Meister

Does that mean bad luck to the loser?

3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I watched the replay.. I'm not sure how France won, however they did... Well done..:)

Maybe Belgium ran out of steam?, they didn't have the same spark that got them into this game.... and weren't able to find an equaliser.... a good tournament for Belgium just the same...:)

France did win the fried potato cup, though...;)

4. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    No … I do not wish any one Bad luck ~ only Good luck :)

5. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2011
    France
    I see a whole lot of future great football players there

They still need to learn a bit of showboating, with some stupid little dance moves, and you ll see them in World cup 2030.

6. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Well done Croatia!

France vs Croatia, the final should be great.

Fred.T likes this.
  7. Fred.T

Fred.T Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2009
    Zagreb, Croatia
    We are traveling to Corsica tonight, spend some time there for vacation... and watch the Final!

Great indeed!!

8. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Ok it’s done. Spoiler alert! Stop reading here if you want to watch the match...

France wins the final 4-2, though the final score doesn’t say all that happened during this final. I knew they [edit: France] should win ( from my point of view) but Croatia made a wonderful match, great skills, lots of action. I feared they could come back until the very last minutes, no, seconds.

Mbappe scored without acting, Pogba and Griezmann did very well too, as did the defensive part of the team. They really deserve this victory, because it was really difficult.

To the Croatians, Mandzukic, Modric, Perisic and the others, I say BRAVO!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  9. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    I, for one, welcome our newly crowned French overlords, and as a trusted professional who has gained the confidence of many, will gladly help them round up the masses to toil in their subterranean cheese caves.

RoyalBaby likes this.
  10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

As Oz was the first team to lose playing France in the first game..I congratulate you for winning through until the end...We certainly did toughen you up....:D

good to see plenty of goals and attacking play ... and no penalty shoot out....

Well done Croatia for making it through to the final.....:)

LowCaster likes this.
  11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    At least it’s not the same-ol’ Germany-Brazil paradigm this year.

12. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    Four years ago we were in Koblenz (Germany) for the final, this year we were in France. After watching the Tour de France stage on the pave sections to south of Roubaix we joined around 500 French to watch the match on a large screen in our local town. They seem to have enjoyed themselves.

upload_2018-7-20_9-41-3.png

We don't as yet have plans for our 2022 holidays, and cannot guarantee who will win, but any country with aspirations to winning the World Cup is welcome to sponsor our holidays, just PM me.

RoyalBaby and Asmith like this.
  13. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Up to the end of the 1970s (roughly speaking) most teams in the English and Scottish leagues played "hard". There were, of course, always some players who pretended they'd been shot when they received a typically agricultural tackle from a no-nonsense defender or midfielder but referees used to leave them where they fell and only if injuries were approaching life-threatening was a stretcher brought on to cart the body off to the treatment room / ambulance.

Alternatively, if a forward was hoofed by a defender, the forward would either seek a penalty or, if it wasn't in the penalty area, extract immediate retribution. The tete-a-tete may carry on for the whole match, until one combatant went off injured or was substituted if at risk of being sent off.

See if you can find footage of Francis Lee (who was playing for Derby at the time) locking horns with Norman Hunter (Leeds) from 1974/75.

These days, footballers are a lot lighter, quicker and conniving (aside from the likes of the hugely hairy, ugly, cynical and clumsy "tree-like" creature known as "Fellaini") and will fall, as if pole-axed, at the merest touch.

I mostly blame the refs - who are all-too-easily conned by the players and almost seem to revel in being the centre of attention when making controversial decisions.

Rugby has always had more credibility when it comes to players not feigning injury. However, there was the infamous "Bloodgate" scandal in 2009 (Harlequins versus Leinster in the Heineken Cup) when a player used a fake blood capsule to mimic a blood injury and warrant a tactical substitution. Those involved received bans and, thankfully, such cheating is rare.

14. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    So, I did search on YouTube and found lots of interesting material. Thank you. I saw two guys boxing, but that wasn’t really a part of the game, was it? I saw referee mistakes, I saw a forward faking a penalty. Nothing really different.

If headbutts were allowed, Zidane would have won the cup twice.

Paul Jenkin likes this.
  15. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    No, fighting wasn't "officially" part of the game but referees tolerated it to a degree and only stepped in if someone was going to get really hurt. And yes, there was always diving in the box but it was the exception rather than the norm. These days most players will engineer an opportunity to get a penalty almost every time the get into the box and I'd say 95-90% are fakes. If the referee doesn't give a penalty, he should book the player that has dived and keep doing so until the forwards get the message.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.