Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

(Free) software for drawing guitar wiring diagrams, circuit layouts...

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by bancika, Feb 6, 2017.

1. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 12, 2009
    Independence, MO
    When I run this on a Mac, it prompts to install Java 6 (which is the last version released by Apple and is way out of date!) even though I have Oracle Java 8 installed. Any way this can be made to run on Java 8?

Edit: Whoops... Didn't realize that this was a resurrected zombie thread!

2. Jemwielder

Jemwielder TDPRI Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Rochester
    Can't seem to get it to run on my Mac. Keeps saying it's damaged and that it needs to be dragged to the trash.

3. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam

4. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Meister

Aug 4, 2009
    Lebanon, NH
    I use DIY layout Creator all the time for effects pedal vero layouts and an occasional schematic and it's awesome. Thanks Bancika!! Now if only it could interface seamlessly with LTSpice... ;):D

5. bancika

bancika TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Serbia
    Java 8 upgrade is on my to-do list. Few years ago I had issues because apple wouldn't upgrade to Java 7, so I had to keep the older version of Java. Now they are on the 8 and they badger people to upgrade :)

The app is not damaged, you just need to allow 3rd party apps or whitelist this particular app. This doc should cover it https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491
    Stupid apple :)

I've been thinking about it but it's hard to define what's "properly" for a machine to understand.

Nickadermis likes this.

6. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    This is brilliant - thanks so much.

7. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    It would probably be plausible with passive guitar layouts where it could simply highlight where all connecting wires and components from the ground terminal on a jack to the output on a jack. When I check my diagrams I trace all the connections to do this manually.

Anything above that (let's say pedals :)) would require an entirely new program and with eq sweeps and waveform analysis so the user could decide if a circuit was producing the desired effect. I use circuitlab and I find it very useful for designing and tweaking circuits.

8. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 12, 2009
    Independence, MO
    I will probably install Apple's Java 6 on one of my older Macs, just to play with this. Looks like a good upgrade of the old DIYLC which seems to be a staple in the stripboard effects pedal world!

9. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    This pgm is da bomb! Many thanks to you kind sir.

10. brownale99

brownale99 TDPRI Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Newcastle, UK
    Wow, stumbled across this at just the right time. Awesome program. Been trying to sort out some wiring for a PRS McCarty style build, fingers crossed I've got it right.
    PRS McCarty Style wiring.png

Urshurak776 likes this.

11. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Hey @bancika, I updated to the latest version the other day. The new pickups are great. I love that there are Telecaster pickups and what appears to be a DiMarzio Chopper T bridge pickup. Very nice.

It took me a while to get it up and running (MAC OSX) but it’s working properly. I’ll have to document what I did. I think I found the solution eventually at google group discussion.

Anyway, thanks. It’s one of my favourite tools.

12. bancika

bancika TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Serbia
    Cool, glad you like it. Please let me know if you have a doc ready. I know very little about Macs so I can't be much of a help when people complain. Apple changes stuff in each version and it's hard to keep track :)

13. C-g-em

C-g-em TDPRI Member

Apr 4, 2014
    california
    how/where do I download it ?

14. C-g-em

C-g-em TDPRI Member

Apr 4, 2014
    california
    nvm got I. thanks!

15. Pullshocks

Pullshocks TDPRI Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Does this program support doing layouts for tube guitar amps?

16. bancika

bancika TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Serbia
    Yes. Here's one point-to-point I did recently

[​IMG]

Nickfl and awasson like this.

17. Pullshocks

Pullshocks TDPRI Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Seattle
    OK, I got it up and running. THANKS--It is really helping me plan out my next amp build.

How do you do the bent component leads, like the resistor connected to 2 terminals of a switch, as seen in your example

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.