Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Free Booze, Full Frontal Nudity and Small Jacks for Pedalboard Builds. Help needed..

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by sergeant.salt, Sep 24, 2017.

1. sergeant.salt

sergeant.salt TDPRI Member

Dec 18, 2012
    Bangkok
    First the confession: not much free booze and nudity here, but at least I caught your attention!

What are the smallest footprint solderable phone jacks for pedalboards? Preferably straight (with shortest possible shafts)?

Anyone has any suggestions?

I am building a new pedalboard from scratch and have added some rather big boxes that I want to fit (my Voodo-vibe, Llama Superior, Timeline, Boss RV-500 + stomp boxes that are in circulation on and off the board.. and then: a massive OneControl CrocodileTail Looper.. these things are rather bulky..)

Anyway.. since I don´t have much real estate available for my pedals and wiring, I am trying to keep everything as tight as possible. Up until now, I have had solder less solutions, but this time I want to solder my own patch cables from Mogami 2319.

My problem is:
    The spacings between in/out jacks on the Crocodile OC-10 looper are really cramped.. two rows on top of each other. The pancakes are just to wide/long and will create problems, and the angled switchcrafts have too long shafts after the angle. Tightropes and George L´s are kind of perfect in size (but I am so tired of fixing shorts - as I do swap pedals and I find the solder less solutions to be too expensive for what it is (essentially compromised and untrustworthy designs IMHO but YMMV).

I have spent hours to search the internet for small solutions, but however I refine my search, all I get is Lava/GeorgeL/Evidence solderless mixed with pancakes.

I find it kind of incredible that there aren´t any compact solder solutions around for me to find easily, as I am sure many guitarists out there are struggling with the same problems. I also find it strange that the Chinese has not already taken huge chunks of this market - the prices some company charge for these cables are simply outrageous.
    I also find it slightly weird that while we are planning for manned trips to Mars no-one has managed to construct a solder less solution that is solid and idiot proof.

I am so eager to put down an order for cables and plugs that I almost went for the Tightropes, but: the cost of about 400 dollars just puts me off.

Anyone out there that has a creative solution up their sleeve??

2. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    ICT
    to quote Eugene Mirman, "Don't be afraid to follow your dreams, unless your dreams are stupid"

jddub440 likes this.

3. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    That pedal show on YouTube highlighted this, or maybe it was gig rig.

4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    There is a poster at work which reads:
    "When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor."

IMG_0261.JPG

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    sergeant.salt and Staypuft1652 like this.

5. sergeant.salt

Dec 18, 2012
    Bangkok
    Well, Mirman seems like a funny guy, but I might just disagree... sometimes stupid dreams are all we got;)

Staypuft1652 likes this.

6. sergeant.salt

Dec 18, 2012
    Bangkok

7. kidmeatball

kidmeatball Tele-Meister

Jan 17, 2016
    Calgary
    sergeant.salt likes this.

8. sergeant.salt

Dec 18, 2012
    Bangkok

9. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I went with pre-mades after looking and looking and driving myself crazy. I love the EBS Flat Patch Cables. So much easier and less stressful.

karpis, King Creole and sergeant.salt like this.

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    those look good!

11. sergeant.salt

Dec 18, 2012
    Bangkok
    Yeah.. those do look nice! Thanks for all the suggestions.. I just wanna cut to lengths and get a tight and tidy board. So far I am leaning towards GeorgeL´s and sp400... looks like it will be a snug fit

12. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I use the EBS flat patch cables too. They've worked great for me so far.

13. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Those are similar connectors to what I used on my pedalboard, but I just got the raw connectors, and used my own cable and soldered whatever custom lengths I needed.

To the OP... if the one device is the only thing thing that prevents using standard pancake connectors, you could use straight plugs for those connections and pancakes everywhere else...

sergeant.salt and Staypuft1652 like this.

14. sergeant.salt

Dec 18, 2012
    Bangkok
    Thanks people, a lot of helpful information..

I am going for a combination of the SquarePlug SP400 (on pedals and upper connector row at the looper) and the Providence NT-21 TS for the lower row on the looper. The NT-21 protrudes 15,5 mm and is (according to Providence anyway) the shortest straight mono phone-jack available (It is about 60% of a switchcraft 380 jack and a little more than one third the length of a standard 280 jack.. pretty good)

The NT-21 was not easy to source for some strange reason, but I managed to score 20 pieces. I would have imagined people wanted this stuff, but these plugs were not even available in online shops in Providence-land Japan (..except when attached to cable).. very strange. Maybe there isn´t a big market for DIY stuff anymore?

15. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Aren't those NT-21 about $7-8 a plug?

16. sergeant.salt

Dec 18, 2012
    Bangkok
    I paid 6 dollars a piece plus shipping. For this project I ended up overstocking slightly but if I bought the same amount of tightrope+lava plugs I´d still end up paying 140 USD more. Also: I wanted a soldered solution. All in all I think I found good prices.

Still: In the business of guitar cables and connectors I am sure someone is putting a serious profit in their pockets. I see no reason why a factory somewhere in Asia cannot compete in this market and offer us well made cables and at the same time make money.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

17. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    First: you, sir, are a cruel man!! One does not simply promise free booze and full frontal nudity without backing his claim!!!!
    I am happy with EBS Flatheads, as well as their copies by Harley Benton.
    There are other copies of EBS around that seem to be rather crappy.
    If you're not constantly putting pedals on and off your board, the EBS are fine.

sergeant.salt likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.