Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Freaking out! Bed bugs!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fred Rogers, Jan 19, 2018.

1. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2018
    North carolina
    I had to deal with bedbugs once, a houseguest brought them in. Wash clothes, washable bags, etc, and dry in hot dryer. Heat is good way to kill bedbugs

Fred Rogers likes this.
  2. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    Nuke it from orbit...

[​IMG]

24 track and Fred Rogers like this.
  3. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island
    I'm happy to report they didn't have bed bugs. They think it was fleas. No bites here.

Manual Slim likes this.
  4. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    " We used to live on a fella named Big Red until the time of the kerosene flood"

Cheech&Chong

Buster the body crab

:D

5. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    Is anyone here overreacting just a bit?

I mean, I've never seen them in 52 years of life, and if I did, they didn't take over/infest/destroy my house.

Are they the latest fear craze?

Can't you just toss your bed and wash your bedding? Are they really going to inhabit your entire house?

6. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2017
    Washington
    Christ. This thread is giving me PTSD. I have by far the worst bed bug story anyone here has ever heard.

Came home late one night and my next door neighbor (little Asian woman) was beside herself, crying in the hallway. The guy across from us dragged his mattress out in the hallway and left it there. The thing was covered in bed bugs. There is no way to describe how many there were. At times, the entire mattress looked like it was moving. Layers upon layers of bugs covering the entire mattress. It goes without saying that since I shared a wall with this guy(he had some form of dementia), I had bed bugs too.

My GF woke with welts all over her body and had to move out. My cousins wouldn't let me come over to their house unless I showered at the local pool and changed my clothes in the yard. I had to put everything I owned in plastic bags while the apartment was fumigated, which took multiple attempts over a 3 month period. A ****ing disaster.

Years later, I married that GF and she became a doctor. She was treating a very rich, young, put-together woman for bumps on her skin. The other doctor couldn't figure out what was wrong. My wife said it was bed bugs and the woman's eyes turned as big as saucers and just said No! It can't be!. I still get a kick out of that.

Seriously though, **** bed bugs

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Got screens to keep the mosquitoes out? I hear some people use them because they worry mosquitoes will inhabit the house.

When bed bugs are on planes and in hotels and can hitch rides on luggage or backpacks at the mall ... and can be really difficult to get rid of (they can survive over a year without feeding), there is going to be fear.

8. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 22, 2018
    Savannah GA
    How nice it would be if this were true. Young bedbugs can be so small they're hard to see. It's a really, really big problem to get rid of them, once they're there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bug

9. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 5, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    Wife, dog, and I stayed in a motel in Cranbrook, BC last September for one night. We had stayed in this motel several times before without any problems. My wife had lots of bites while I had only a few. I came through there a few days later by myself and showed the manager the photos of our bites. She was in complete denial. I didn't make an issue of it and wasn't looking for a refund. However, I didn't stay there again.

Apparently, it's not unusual for clean hotels/motels to get hit with bedbugs these days.

10. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    nope!

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    A great friend of mine took in a neighbourhood cat and now have fleas , the cat sleeps on all the beds in the house , the last time I drove down there , a 4 hr trip I turned around and came back the same afternoon , the last thing I need is to bring fleas home to my pets ,
    we had a close friend who brought their wonderful dog Jodi for a visit we introduced jodi to jasmine our cat , meeting lasted 1 min literally and jasmine had the worst case of fleas I had ever seen on a cat, prior to this we did not have them. nasty infestations, kamloops is too cold in the wintertime for fleas , but the summers are 30+ degrees C

12. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    1 year ago I moved my stuff, including my cat, into this work space/office. I knew the woman renting it. I noticed an old cat box when I moved in.

About 3-4 weeks after moving my stuff in I was overun with flea bites, my cat struggling with them. Turns out they lie dormant & are woken by warmth & co2 (exhaling. All this according to the innurwebnets). I went & got some diatomaceous earth & religiously vaccumed 3 x a day for a month straight. After the first dusting the fleas were drastically knocked back. It's been good for a year now.

The first time I figured all this out was having walked across the floor & sat down, looking at my legs & seeing them from my knees on down to my socks. I waved my fist to the sky screaming get off my lawn!

13. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    My GF went to a friend's place and noticed a container of pesticide meant to kill bed bugs. She asks her friend if she has bed bugs. "Oh yeah, but I'm getting rid of them." GF immediately jumps up from the couch and leaves. When she gets home, she's thinking there's no way I'm going into my house with these clothes on. What to do? She finds a piece of clothing she had left in the car, fortunately. Not enough to cover her modesty entirely.

Not to be deterred, she removes all clothing from her visit to bed bug house. Then dons here blouse to cover as much as she can. Carefully watching, she makes a mad dash for her door. "There was no way I was going into my house with those clothes." According to her, you never take chances with those things. Afterwards, she burned the clothing.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  14. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    I find if you throw kerosene around the bed and throw a match and then wait for the house to burn that will get rid of them.

15. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    Insects don't play. Didn't you see the Hellstrom Chronicles? *smile*

But seriously, if you travel a lot you are likely to encounter them.

16. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Oct 16, 2015
    New Jersey
  17. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    in case anyone wonders, going to bed with a generous amount of alcohol in your bool doesn't kill them. matter of fact, I feel sure the little bastards look forward to it.

18. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    I just had them. We caught them early thank goodness. We called someone to come over and spray the bedrooms. No problem now. I called the guy who will heat up your house and I didn’t like that idea. I got records and stuff.

19. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2004
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    You can get attacked in Public Places. This article was in the Tulsa Word morning paper.

The Department of Public Safety office in Tulsa’s Eastgate Metroplex will remain closed Tuesday after bed bugs were found in its lobby last week.

Jeff Hankins, director of driver’s licenses services for DPS, said the location will stay shuttered until they are given the OK that the bed bugs are gone. Hankins said his office was first made aware of them late Wednesday, with the site at 14002 E. 21st St., Suite A, closed since then.

“We don’t want to put the public or our employees at risk,” Hankins said. “So now it’s just kind of a waiting game with the mall (ownership) to see what they’re doing to alleviate the problem.”

People who go to that office may visit the location in west Tulsa at 3190 W. 21st St. South or the Broken Arrow site at 1635 S. Main St., which is about seven miles south of the Eastgate office.

DPS will update its website under the “Driver License Exam & Driver Compliance Hearing Officer Locations” link from its homepage when the Eastgate office is re-opened, Hankins said.

Hankins said the building owner had an extermination company spray on Thursday and Saturday. A second exterminator was called in to help Monday, he said.

“We won’t open back up until it’s completely clear,” Hankins said, adding that ownership is in regular communication with him on the matter.

He said DPS employees who work at the Eastgate office have been split between the west Tulsa and Broken Arrow locations to help handle any influx of displaced customers. The Eastgate site is its second busiest location in the state, he said.

“We’re taking it really seriously and working with the building owner to try and get the problem taken care of,” Hankins said.

Lost_N_Austin

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.