Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Freak accident - cooking oil on fingers. Playing is 10 times easier. Strings?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Danishboy, Apr 8, 2018.

1. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Most cooking oils are vegetable oils. Just like linseed oil most of them are « self drying », they’ll polymerize with time. Think « oil painting ». It might get sticky or build up unpleasantly if you are unlucky. I would be very careful with that.

However, olive oil is allegedly very good for the skin, and moisturizing your fingers with a tiny drop of oil is not the same as wiping the whole guitar with it, it should be safe.

Animal grease is not self drying, so you should be good with chicken, salami and whatnot. :D

I’ve heard that earwax has the most remarkable waxing properties, the grease that you find on you nose too...

I’ll stick with Fast Fret.

Danishboy likes this.

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I would think that a build up of all these sprays,oils and whatnot would build up in the strings and make them go dead sooner.

3. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    Once I borrowed a guitar from the other guitarist in the band I used to play with and couldn't help but notice how rough and nasty the strings were - He was a big Fast Fret adept, the oils did their work so well he never felt the strings being so rough I guess. He only changed them when they broke.

In my case, I use the free method of rubbing my fingertips on the bridge of my nose or forehead.

4. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Holic

Jan 30, 2010
    Up The Creek
    Do NOT use rapeseed oil. Wait til you see what happens when it dries. It can turn into this orange gummy glue that is almost impossible to get off. Grape seed oil is the same way.

Body oil from rubbing your skin is not a good idea either, because it already has microscopic trapped dust and dirt and sloughed off skin cells, etc.... you need oil that is clean and pure.

You are on the right track, but the best thing I've found is raw virgin coconut oil. Mineral oil will do in a pinch, but it's hard to find mineral oil that isn't thick and viscous. I've been using coconut oil for a couple years now, it's awesome......and good for you to eat as well! If you wash your hands with warm soapy water and then use the coconut oil on your hands, your strings will stay clean for quite a while.

5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

You mean like “buttah”

Pointmonger likes this.

6. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    At least the OP wasn't changing the oil in his car at the time of is discovery. Otherwise we would be warning about the effects of Quaker State on rosewood.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2018
    St. Louis

You're the one arguing. Apparently without the facts. Since it's billed as a string cleaner and lubricant. And using it AS DIRECTED, which you apparently are not, has the pleasant side effect of keeping your board clean.

It's true I probably don't change strings on my guitars as often as some guys here. In my defense, I am a working bass player, not a guitarist. Now basses, those get changed about every two weeks on the Spectors and the Ric gets a new set before every gig since I put Rotos on it and I like them brand new. I'm reasonably certain I spend more on strings than most of the guys here.

As for the Fast Fret, you use it how you see fit brother, but the fact is that if you need some product to make your strings slicker you might need to spend less time on the internet and more time practicing your technique. ;-)

Also there is a pretty significant difference between a semi-colon and an apostrophe. I thought I was having a seizure when I read your post. :)

jimash likes this.

8. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    Won't most oils eventually go rancid? My playing stinks enough as it is...

9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Plusorminus: Drinks 19 cups of coffee, then posts on TDPRI:

happy-businessman-drinks-too-much-coffee-EPCR8H.jpg

10. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    The keyboard is wide and I miss the apostrophe. I do it so often I've nearly given up correcting it.
    For the rest, Ok then.

Floyd Eye likes this.

11. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    rapeseed? This sounds like it should be on the ID channel.

12. plusorminuszero

plusorminuszero TDPRI Member

Jan 16, 2012
    chicago
    What does coffee have to do with what I related regarding oil, guitar strings?

Try to help me here...how does coffee bring about this posting of mine?

This was sort of a once in a lifetime awakening experience.
    Some would say ephipany. I suppose it depends on one’s wont.

A simple thing. A drop of extract from a God given herb I cannot simply produce-you cannot conceive of the reasons. You see, you better be disabled, registered sick or dying, and even that is something the gov wants to quash....and those that have it, have all manner of other tricks as well. Many are veritable snitches acting all loose, having been caught with you name it, and even that isn’t enough. Oh, ya, make sure you call me....

I have seen better days, with better friends, better people, and better prospects for
    getting what keeps any joy in me alive. But I have roots, deep dry roots, and I can tell you friend, among all my experiences in life, what I tried to say here was among the more profound. That those tendrils were thereby watered. I have great respect for it, and would never want to lose whatever that little boost was, and all I did was handle it on my fingers.
    A drop. Most importantly...I knew exactly what it was. Right there on the label.
    Why would I ever enter any other gate?

There’s no pretending it did not happen. It happened, and I must now pull up my stakes.

Just trying to share a little knowledge.
    The only thing I ever considered was not if, but where, I would speak it.

Did I come to the wrong place?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018

13. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Mechanics make the best guitarists , ask Jeff Beck!

14. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Maybe if you want to really get your guitar going, you should try K-Y Jelly. For me, I like the strings as they come ... :rolleyes:

Zepfan likes this.

15. Danishboy

Danishboy Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2017
    Denmark
    Fast Fret it is then

16. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Plusorminus, of course you are welcome here, and I appreciate your story regarding an oil that enhanced the play-ability of your axe, no problemo. I was attempting to have a little fun. Your first post was, IMO, unusually energetic and enthusiastic, and it reminded me of some people I know when they have had a lot of coffee. Rock on!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018

17. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

You may want to contact Clark Griswold.

Didn't he have that stuff he was testing that was 500 times more slippery than cooking oil?:D

18. Synapse2k

Synapse2k Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    With a side of those greasy biscuits and you’re all set

tery likes this.

19. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2018
    PNW
    Kentucky Jelly and Peanut butter with a sprinkling of banana flakes? MMMM Good Sammich..............

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.