Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Frank Zappa: Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by chemobrain, Sep 20, 2017.

1. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    Frank Zappa and friends....
    Frank dishes up flowing lines, Tweezed Guitar Tones. Stuff that you can tap your toe to, maybe...;)

xafinity and Humscruddle like this.

2. Humscruddle

Humscruddle TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Newton Aycliffe - UK.
    Nice to see some Zappa posted here!

If I'm not mistaken, this particular track was lifted from his solo during a recording of Inca Roads! :D Probably one of my favourite Zappa tracks!

Oh, and (for any of the masochists out there who fancy a challenge...) I believe a certain mister Steve Vai produced a book of transcriptions for all of the guitar solos on the Shut Up 'N' Player Yer Guitar albums! :) There'll no doubt be a PDF of it still floating around somewhere on the web if the book has gone out of print.

3. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Holic

Nov 11, 2012
    Madison, WI, USA
    Love me some Frank!

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I had the original release/pressing of SUAPYG and played it - once.

We had a freak mama afternoon DJ on the public radio station here in the late 70's/80's who'd play Gong, Steve Hillage, Fripp, Oregon, Zappa, and much, much more out of the mainstream..

I first heard a snippet of it there.

Ran out and bought it and - realized that solos with no context sometimes work/sometimes are listenable, but not very often.

Still, Frank was a burner and until I read it numerous times, would never have guessed that he considered Johnny Guitar Watson his biggest influence.

5. kafka

kafka Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    I really miss Frank. I can't begin to estimate how much time I've listened to SUAPYG.

6. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    When Zappa jams with Johnny Watson of course there will be Middle Eastern instruments involved. They don't really get going until about half way through the raw video clip .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.