Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Frank Brothers Guitar Company - Custom Build

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by wallis222, Oct 4, 2017.

1. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Update 12.1:

In the second pic, check out the threaded inserts where the truss rod cover screws go. FBGC also uses these in the body for the pickup and pickguard screws. Just another obsessive detail that makes a guitar junky tweak.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bottlenecker likes this.

2. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah they don't mess around.

Thanks Merle!! :)

BB, again with the huge compliments. But you're right, these guitars are in their own league.

3. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Update 12.2:

Tim is finishing the assembly today. She'll be set up on D'Addario NYXL 11-49. We'll start with the standard 500k pots, and .022uf PIO tone cap pre wired harness that Emerson sells for vintage Les Paul JR and Special type guitars. I have a feeling that I'll end up with a .047 cap and 250k tone pot, but we'll see. Anyway, here are some more teasers...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Update 12.3:

Well, apparently the guitar is done!! The boys are holding back the pics, and will leave it up to my imagination until tomorrow. These teaser shots will have to do for now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Felino likes this.

5. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Beautiful, cool and unique. Congratulations I'm sure this is going to give you lifetime of pleasure.

Quick question. What did they do with the fretboard to darken it? I have my own techniques and tricks but always keen to hear of others.

wallis222 likes this.

6. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks rze99!

It was just a very dark piece of Rosewood to begin with. I've seen guys use fish glue, or stains, etc... but there is nothing better than starting with a dark Rosewood board. As you know, there are techniques to darken a light board, but nothing more than a little fretboard oiling was needed with this one.

My trick for long lasting lubrication of the fretboard is instrument bore oil. Bore oil and mineral oil have the same initial darkening effect, but bore oil keeps the fretboard darker longer. If you check back to my post from Oct 17th on page 2 of this thread you'll see the beginning of a little test that I did. I forgot to update with my findings, but as I've suspected for years, bore oil long outlasts mineral oil. The mineral oil was completely gone after 4 weeks, while the bore oil looked nearly the same as it did the day I applied it. Tim and Nick typically use mineral oil on their guitars, but I asked them to use bore oil on mine. I left them with the bottle - maybe they'll continue using it on their guitars.

rze99 likes this.

7. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Many thanks for the info. It's a beautiful looking fretboard.

wallis222 likes this.

8. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Update 13:

Well... it's better than I could have ever imagined! Flawless build, tons of mojo, killer tone, and an incredibly fun experience from start to finish. I own some pretty special guitars, but this one is something else.

Thanks to @DeeBeeUs (instagram) for showing up to take some pics. If you haven't checked him out already, he's got a great instagram page full of gear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This isn't the last update. I'll be messing around with cap values, and might try some other pickups (simply to get an idea of what the Wolftones offer vs others). I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 at 8:16 AM

9. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    I took a few more close up shots. My photography skills / the iPhone 6 I'm using don't do it justice, but here ya go...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Felino and tomtama like this.

10. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    Looks killer!

Cheers,
    Geoff

wallis222 likes this.

11. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    Extremely beautiful!
    Be sure to enjoy every minute with that great looking guitar.

wallis222 likes this.

12. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    No offense to your Teles... but that thing really leaves them in the dust!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.