Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Frank Brothers Guitar Company - Custom Build

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by wallis222, Oct 4, 2017.

1. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    I agree. That was their goal when designing the aesthetics of the guitar. They didn't want to copy any thing, but wanted to make a guitar that looked like it was made in the golden age.

Well, the boys have sprayed colour on the top. A new update should be coming soon!!

Thanks Bender!

Thanks plowboy. I've got a few amps... A beefed up Tweed Deluxe/Harvard hybrid by a local amp genius, an 18 watt Marshall by Winfield Amps, and a Blonde Deluxe.

They use Jescar 51x108. When I had new frets put on my 1964 Strat I went with those same frets. They are perfect.

ladave and Felino like this.

2. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    Thank you very much!

wallis222 likes this.

3. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2012
    In the woods
    willis - love your thread and can't wait to see the finished product. Thanks for sharing.

wallis222 likes this.

4. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Update 10:

We're getting really close. Tim sprayed the colour coats on my guitar and here's what he had to say: "We mix our own white lacquer with yellow oxide pigment to create a really beautiful off white. After that we’ll shoot an amber over the whole guitar to dial the colour in a bit further and to also tint the binding a bit. For your guitar, we used a blend of nitrocellulose lacquers to get a finish that is hard and durable but also capable of weathering, checking and aging with time and use. Basically, it’ll hold up to buffing so we get a really nice gloss but it’s not so precious that it won’t start to age."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Felino and mitchfinck like this.

5. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    Beautiful! I get lost looking at the back of the guitar.... that's some fine looking wood.

wallis222 likes this.

6. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Update 11:

Guitar has been polished, pickups have arrived from Wolfetone, we're getting real real close. I'm thinking black covers and black knobs - what's the consensus?

Here are some teaser pics from Tim and Nick. Look at the depth of the polish on the quartersawn Hog back! Oh, and our first peek at the Braz board - should be nice and dark after some fretboard oil.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2012
    In the woods
    I like that off-white finish.

wallis222 likes this.

8. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

Jan 18, 2011
    Longmont, CO
    Black looks good to me. Will you have the teardrop shaped pick guard? In black? White?will they do a mock up for you?
    By the way, your guitar is beautiful.

wallis222 likes this.

9. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks JS! Yes the standard teardrop shaped guard, and it will be a nice piece of tortoise celluloid. You can see it in post #6, though it's not a great representation.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018

10. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

Jan 18, 2011
    Longmont, CO
    A dark tortoise, good choice! I'm a big fan of tortoise and pearloid pickguards.

11. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Wow, nice build & thread. Can't buy that kind of advertising! Looks like you are close playing this thing. Would love to see a full blown demo on here!

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Meister

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Wow! That goes so far beyond the production guitars I own and leaves most partscasters behind in a galaxy far far away. Such amazing construction quality and attention to detail. I'm really jealous, but in a good sort of way. I'm really happy for you.

13. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    I sifted thru the pile of tort to find a dark, uniform piece for the guard. Should look great!

Hey Mark, thanks for the compliments. I'm hoping to do a nice little demo for the boys! We've talked thru instagram in the past; @iamtheosdad

Words of wisdom there. These guitars are in a league with VERY few players. Thanks for the kind words.

14. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    Yes I know who are...give us a good demo!!! Hope your new year is off to a good start. Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018 at 9:16 AM
    wallis222 likes this.

15. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Update 12:

The holes for the pots & switch were drilled earlier this week. Tim filed the fret ends today, and will be assembling the guitar over the next couple days.

Notice the before and after oil shot of the fretboard. Man, that's some dark Brazilian Rosewood. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Felino likes this.

16. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    Oh man! Such beautiful wood. I'm excited for you Tim.

wallis222 likes this.

17. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks BB

18. Haytheman

Haytheman TDPRI Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Canada
    Beautiful looking frets.

wallis222 likes this.

19. MerleJam

MerleJam TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Texas
    One of the prettiest guitars I’ve seen

paratus and wallis222 like this.

20. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    I must say, that is the prettiest (coolest, neatest, most awesome!) white finish on a guitar that I've ever laid eyes on. Out of the 568 guitars that have gone through my hands, I've only had a few white/cream ones...a lovely Guild Starfire and white/cream Les Paul in the 70's, and a pure white Johnson acoustic I found for 10 at a thrift store. The Guild was the nicest, but they all pale in comparison to your beauty.

Great choice with Wolf's pickups. He winds some amazing pickups. That is one fantastic guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.